X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    . It didn't half put up a struggle, though!
    ... triffids tend to fight back : I hope you took precautions

"Appearance and habits

The triffid can be divided into three components: base, trunk, and head (which contains a venomous sting). In The Day of the Triffids, adult triffids are described as 7 feet in height. European triffids never exceed 8 feet , while those in tropical areas can reach 10 feet. In The Night of the Triffids, a small number of North American triffids reach 60 feet (18 m) in height.

The base of a triffid is a large muscle-like root mass, comprising three blunt appendages. When dormant, these appendages draw nutrients, as on a normal plant. When active, triffids use these appendages to propel themselves. The character Masen describes the triffid's locomotion as such:

When it "walked" it moved rather like a man on crutches. Two of the blunt "legs" slid forward, then the whole thing lurched as the rear one drew almost level with them, then the two in front slid forward again. At each "step" the long stem whipped violently back and forth; it gave one a kind of seasick feeling to watch it. As a method of progress it looked both strenuous and clumsy—faintly reminiscent of young elephants at play. One felt that if it were to go on lurching for long in that fashion it would be bound to strip all its leaves if it did not actually break its stem. Nevertheless, ungainly though it looked, it was contriving to cover the ground at something like an average walking pace.

Above the base are upturned leafless sticks which the triffid drums against its stem. The exact purpose of this is not fully explained in The Day of the Triffids; it is originally assumed that they are used to attract mates, but Bill Masen's colleague, Walter Lucknor, believes that they are employed for communication. It is revealed that removal of these sticks causes the triffid to physically deteriorate. In The Night of the Triffids, the character Gabriel Deeds speculates that the vibrations made by the triffid's sticks serve as a form of echolocation.

The upper part of a triffid consists of a stem ending in a funnel-like formation containing a sticky substance which traps insects, much like a pitcher plant. Also housed within the funnel is a stinger which, when fully extended, can measure 10 feet (3.0 m) in length. When attacking, a triffid will lash the sting at its target, primarily aiming for its prey's face or head, with considerable speed and force. Contact with bare skin can kill a person instantly. Once its prey has been stung and killed, a triffid will root itself beside the body and feed on it as it decomposes.
    Triffids reproduce by inflating a dark green pod below the top of the funnel until it bursts, releasing white seeds (95% of which are infertile) into the air.
    Aquatic triffids appear in The Night of the Triffids; but remain largely unseen, with the exceptions of their stingers: the latter described as prehensile.

Intelligence
    A recurring theme in The Day of the Triffids is whether or not triffids are intelligent or merely acting on set instincts. The character Walter Lucknor states that although triffids lack a central nervous system, they nonetheless display what he considers intelligence:

'And there's certainly intelligence there, of a kind. Have you noticed that when they attack they always go for the unprotected parts? Almost always the head—but sometimes the hands. And another thing: if you look at the statistics of casualties, just take notice of the proportion that has been stung across the eyes and blinded. It's remarkable—and significant.'

Later, after the Great Blinding, the triffids herd blind people into cramped spaces to kill more easily, or root themselves beside houses, waiting for the occupants."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Following doctor's orders, daily walks had become a regular part of my life, and I loved doing them, until a condition known as Plantar fasciitis* hit me a month or so ago unannounced, since when I've been cycling more often in order to alleviate my foot - but that's not so easy to do in long rides as my knee joints aren't what they once were! So I'm quite envious, thinking of your walks in the Peak District.
      Crappy luck with those fascist foot problems, S_A: hope the trainers help - walking has become such a lifeline for me (in a way that I don't think cycling ever would; being able to look at and listen to the landscape is such a part of the therapeutic side of walking. And complete strangers are so friendly on these walks - that sense of fellow-feeling is really important. (Malham is a bit further North than the Peak District: North Yorkshire - not quite the Dales, nor yet the NY Moors. Plenty of great areas for walking around there - and very popular; even last Thursday, I had to park quite a way out of the village, the queue of cars was already that long.)

For the time being it's keeping me working on a biography on a friend who may not be around for much longer, so that provides a good excuse to postpone some kind of solution.

Best of luck with that fern, ferns!
      Best Wishes with the Biog, S_A - but I hope you're wrong about the time left, and that the Second Edition will need another chapter or three detailing everything that's happened in the years since the First

ferneyhuff'n'puff.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Talk not to me about ferns! Blimey.................

Ref weather: growing low cloud, mist pretty well white-ing out fells etc, and dampness that is a sort of thin fret. Odd. Dampness not rain.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Weather here has been uneventful for some weeks now. The final two weeks in March can often produce the widest spectrum of possible weather in the entire calendar from near-summer sun to deep snow. We still seem stuck in winter here with only last Thursday bringing an exception. Last Friday there was a bitter wind blowing at Cheltenham races and it never got warm but was, at least, mercifully dry.

Could really do with the temps picking up!
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Been rather neglecting this thread of late. Are going to have a nice weather, for this b/h?
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

No.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

VERY low cloud, invisible fells, cold, penetrating cold NW wind and that thin rain that gets in everywhere. Well, the gardens are loving it!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  VERY low cloud, invisible fells, cold, penetrating cold NW wind and that thin rain that gets in everywhere. Well, the gardens are loving it!
                  That's reached here, and the temperature's dropped from just on 13 C to 9 in little more than an hour.

Tomorrow's expected to be the best of the weekend, to answer BBM, then it's anticipated to be downhill from then onwards, with rain and strong winds tomorrow night, sunny intervals and heavy showers on Sunday (OK if you manage to dodge those!) and then really awful on Monday, especially here in the south. It's a change from the dull weather we were having last week though!

Bluebells are out everywhere here - which is odd, given that they don't usually bloom until the end of April, just in time to receive enough solar energy before the woodland canopies close over, and that not one tulip is yet to be seen.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Whumping, thumping punches of wind and shovels of sudden rain, fells disappear, wild p.m. Then ............gone! Fifteen minutes of mayhem, satellite signal frozen, roads flooded, then..........as if nothing had happened!

Comment

• mangerton
                      • Nov 2010

It's been miserable, chill, drizzly and rainy all day here, but nothing spectacular like wot (grammer) Draco's had.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Storm Kate, here we come!
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

That weather system is going to take until late this evening to clear through here, where it's been blowing strong since midday but so far only drizzling. Tomorrow's expected to be shower-dodging Easter Sunday, and BH Monday one for staying indoors, particularly here in the South where gales are expected to last from midnight Sunday to midday Monday, reaching over 50 mph, which is the first time I've seen that officially predicted for the London area by the normally very cautious BBC!

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Steadier rain settling in here + wind+nastiness. Big temp drop. Driving east. Look out.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Down here too, DracoM! Driving to the Easter Vigil last night was quite bad
                              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

Almighty deluge here yesterday evening, now occasionally sunny but a cold wind blowing. Dismal temps for the time of year and still stuck very much in winter mode.
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X