X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Your fun site seemed to indicate earlier that there was quite an outbreak right over Bbm country... but that could have been the man himself practising the tuba part of "Unter Donner und Blitz" after a pint of Spitfire too many!
    Would that happen to be Walton's Spitfire fugue, I wonder?

Lovely cool fresh breeze here now. If tomorrow evening's predicted storms pass to the west of us here, that'll be the second lot we'll have missed.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Your fun site seemed to indicate earlier that there was quite an outbreak right over Bbm country... but that could have been the man himself practising the tuba part of "Unter Donner und Blitz" after a pint of Spitfire too many!
      Poibly quite right there Cali! We will one day have a pint or two somewhere. Actually in a village called Partridge Green, about a half hour drive from my place, is a pub called The Partridge(believe it or not! ) and The Dark Star Brewery is just down the road.....

We did have a bit of a Donner und Blitzen yesterday afternoon!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

According to http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime storms are concentrated around Blenau Ffestiniog and Liverpool as I write. They should be reaching Petrushka Towers round about 4am when I will doubtless sleep through it all.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          According to http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime storms are concentrated around Blenau Ffestiniog and Liverpool as I write. They should be reaching Petrushka Towers round about 4am when I will doubtless sleep through it all.
          The first of the storms are just reaching us here as I write - lots of flashes between Orpington and the M25/M20 junctions, the distant thunder just about audible from here. The Bournemouth area is really getting clobbered - a large storm cell around there.

11.40 - really intense lightning and thunder now to the S and NE, every few seconds; still no rain!
          Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 03-07-15, 23:38.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

My interest is whether they are going to affect the going at Sandown Park !

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              The first of the storms are just reaching us here as I write - lots of flashes between Orpington and the M25/M20 junctions, the distant thunder just about audible from here. The Bournemouth area is really getting clobbered - a large storm cell around there.

11.40 - really intense lightning and thunder now to the S and NE, every few seconds; still no rain!
              At last! Thunder and lightning here for the last 20 minutes, the rain became torrential a couple of minutes ago (12.10)

Subby's map's pretty current... the storms are moving north east... and here they are:

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

At last! Thunder and lightning here for the last 20 minutes, the rain became torrential a couple of minutes ago (12.10)

Subby's map's pretty current... the storms are moving north east... and here they are:

According to http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime London seems to be getting a right pasting!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

According to http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime London seems to be getting a right pasting!
                  Yes, that's the site I took the screenshot from.

I was sampling the latter part of the last movement of Mahler 3 in the Kubelik performance, using my new Apple Music subscription, and I thought: blimey, amazing percussion in this recording! ("Finally: fortissimo!!" as the great man said at Niagara!)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Most of the activity around London seems to have moved north to be centred presently around Watford and between Romford and Chigwell, though the most striking aspect of this situation (no pun intended! ) is how wide the area affected is, with Salisbury just now really under attack. There also seems the potential for renewed activity to be breaking out where it had seemed to be over, making it somewhat pointless going to bed as one is only likely to be reawoken.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

Thunder / lightning reached us in Ultima Thule as I write - during a terrific Lohengrin on Finnish YLE - the late Sandor Konya / Leinsdorf
                      'Mein Lieber schwann' just started..............!!

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

Looking again at the map it seems to be advancing northwards on a wide front fairly rapidly. The forecast was for it to be up here at about 4am but at the current rate I'd expect it earlier.

Isn't this exciting?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          There also seems the potential for renewed activity to be breaking out where it had seemed to be over, making it somewhat pointless going to bed as one is only likely to be reawoken.
                          Here they come again: 1:02

Isn't this exciting?
                          Yup!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Those expanding soundwave circles are astonishingly accurate - I hear the thunder just as the soundwave is shown reaching here.

I'm right in the middle of this pic:

Those two hits near Shepherd's Bush were very noisy!

.... and we just had a direct hit which set the inferior car alarms going ... and now monsoon-style rain again.

An exceptionally busy night in England and the Alpes-Maritimes!

Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 04-07-15, 01:28.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Really kicking off here once more!

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

sensational storm last night between about 11.45 and 1.00, As S_A noted.
                                almost non stop lightening, quite extraordinary sight.
                                do surge protectors really work I wonder? there was a major strike round here a few years back, which did for a couple of things in our place, such as the modem and an electric organ. These days I have almost everything surge protected, and the valuable items, ( stereo , cooker) I unplug just to be sure.
                                Oh, and apparently phone lines can carry shocks and knock your modem out too.

great maps.wish i had had a look at South Wilts on there last night.
                                Last edited by teamsaint; 04-07-15, 08:19.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X