X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Oop 'ere, fierce little storms are racing through in boisterous NW winds and usually followed by sun and blue sky; temp officially 13C, but not out in it, I can tell you.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

This very time last year, I was on top of Primrose Hill with a French relative, enjoying a wonderful end to the 'longest day' - it was in effect still light until around 10pm, followed by a wonderful dusk with the lights of London all around, and the tea lights of groups of picnickers on the hill, taking over from the luminous sky, as the odd guitar strummed...

This year - grey, cloudy and practically dark by just gone 9pm
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Alternating between sun and heavy cloud today, windy (yet again) and much cooler than yesterday. Dark here by 9pm as well.

This is turning out to be a very mediocre summer, not at all what we expect for June. Whatever happened to the long hot summers we were promised by climate change?
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Yep, more like late March / April.
          Actually, our April oop 'ere was in parts excellent, some of the very best weather we've had all year to date - a tad blink and you missed it, but fortnight or so of real balm.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

As forecasted, rain!!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

According to today's Star, (ahem), we're all in for a monsoon rest-of-summer.

Having heard nothing of this from "Brummie Simon", it has to be a hoax.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                According to today's Star, (ahem), we're all in for a monsoon rest-of-summer.

Having heard nothing of this from "Brummie Simon", it has to be a hoax.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

I well remember the photo Cali posted of Solstice celebrations on Primrose Hill last year (I think he got some ribbing about the fact that London metrosexuals were celebrating in collars, ties and sharp city slicker suits rather than chilling in casual garb!)

Yesterday was indeed dire, so cold, so windy, so dark so early. Black storm clouds kept building but produced no rain. This morning only 11° when I set forth and again - the wind is ceaseless and chill, so cosy jumpers and fleeces have yet to be relegated to storage until Autumn. It's so depressing.

April was indeed our Summer, I took time off to work in the garden and find that I wrote on the 25th April "What a lovely Summer we’re having! Each day has been around 18°" Oh well, it's still early days I suppose.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    I well remember the photo Cali posted of Solstice celebrations on Primrose Hill last year (I think he got some ribbing about the fact that London metrosexuals were celebrating in collars, ties and sharp city slicker suits rather than chilling in casual garb!)
                    Figments, Anna, figments! Here it is again, a year and a day later! They look pretty casual to me... OK there looks to be one bloke in a tie.... so, they're not total savages!!

NB according to the metadata on that photo, it was taken at 22:33 on 21.6.14.... Try that yesterday!
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mangerton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post

Yesterday was indeed dire, so cold, so windy, so dark so early. Black storm clouds kept building but produced no rain. This morning only 11° when I set forth and again - the wind is ceaseless and chill, so cosy jumpers and fleeces have yet to be relegated to storage until Autumn. It's so depressing.
                      Not just here then - not that that makes me feel any better. Perishing cold, (13º C) dark, windy and threatening rain, and now that the Solstice is past, as we say in these parts, "The nights are fair drawing in".

On the plus side, I'm off on my hols tomorrow, but I gather from t'internet that it's not much better where I'm going (Normandy) although it's forecast to get warmer later in the week.

Nous verrons.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

This is turning into a horrible cold summer .

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          This is turning into a horrible cold summer .
                          It's been miserable, hasn't it? I think I can remember only about ten days in total of sunshine - scattered between April and May. If July and August don't make a better effort, I shall give them one of my hard stares!
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Today has been beyond belief dire. There have been persistent heavy showers coupled with a punishing wind. Looking out of the office window this morning was like watching a storm at sea. Temps were allegedly 16 degrees but the implacable wind must have pushed that down into near single figures. This was dire for March never mind June 22.

It's making everyone feel pretty despondent. Is there hope of anything better?
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• subcontrabass
                              • Nov 2010

Very pleasant weather this afternoon for a garden party in Oxford.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Decided to brave it out and lie in the hammock, trying out our new stronger WiFi set up that now reaches the garden, to be confounded by iPlayer on my iPad telling me I'm listening to Stravinsky's 1945 Firebird suite in Aon3 but it sounding remarkably like the Symphony in C. Modern technology, eh?

PS: Corrected and blamed on gremlins. Good to know that the gremlins are at the BBC and not in my iPad!
                                :-)
                                Last edited by Pulcinella; 23-06-15, 16:35. Reason: PS added!

Comment

Working...
                                X