Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mangerton
    • Nov 2010

Anna and sa are just trying to make us feel guilty. Well, they've failed. They're obviously doing enough work for all of us, so I've taken a long weekend and am visiting mangerton country to see how they're getting on with the new railway line due to open in Sept. You'll all be pleased to hear that they're doing very well. The track is all laid and they're now attending to the signalling.

Anna, it's a lovely night here, and the sky is ablaze with stars, Venus, Jupiter and a first quarter moon.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by french frank
      I am elsewhere at the moment.
      I often feel like that.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Neither here nor there?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Me too. It was supposed to be raining here in southern Brittany, but it's not, it's sunny and we just finished a great lunch. The kids are playing cards and the adults are online on various tablets, laptops etc. Shome mishtake surely....
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
            I've taken a long weekend and am visiting mangerton country to see how they're getting on with the new railway line due to open in Sept. You'll all be pleased to hear that they're doing very well. The track is all laid and they're now attending to the signalling.

Anna, it's a lovely night here, and the sky is ablaze with stars, Venus, Jupiter and a first quarter moon.
            Unfortunately it was thick cloud here with the arrival of the much heralded but not very much rain, however with this beautiful sunny weather the night sky has been amazing of late. The new moon was on the 18th - of course you can't really see it as it's a dark moon - and a couple of days later it was with Venus and down to the right was Mars. Clear skies forecast forecast here tonight - and very cold, possible frost. Today after a grey start became very sunny and just nudged 13° which was ok.

What's the railway - is it a proper steam one?

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Me too. It was supposed to be raining here in southern Brittany, but it's not, it's sunny and we just finished a great lunch. The kids are playing cards and the adults are online on various tablets, laptops etc. Shome mishtake surely....
              It's been a very wet afternoon today in Haute Normandie, but we're now in our favourite restaurant with a bottle of St Emilion just opened, so all's well with the world. (And a steam train tomorrow!)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                Anna, #14076: it's Spring still
                Then someone should remind the weather: maximum temperatures today have descended 6 degrees C on yesterday's, and the front which brought not very much rain (luckily for the Marathoners) has left its back-hang of trailing cloud across us all day here in the capital.

I am getting very very irritated with Andrew Marr and all the other radio and TV commentators and interviewers telling me that I want to know from the Labour politicians if they are intending having a coalition with the SNP, when all I am interested in is hearing their policies and how they hope to implement them if majority-elected - especially in view of the fact that they seldom ask the Cons or other parties the same question. And I'm quite certain other people feel the same way as I do.

But never mind! It was just the day to complete my spring cleaning!!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Sunny and nice and warm at 25C. No cards, no kids sea bass and Vat 69

Well worth the 550.5 km drive from the last place

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

The kids are playing cards
                    Poker?

No, don't tell me: she insisted on being left alone!

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Me too.
                      I meant I was downstairs working on the laptop, rather than upstairs on the desktop where I can access emails and get distracted. But I've finished now. Just about to go to the postbox with my correspondence.

I wonder who tried to send me a PM?
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        I wonder who tried to send me a PM?
                        David Cameron? (He keeps 'phoning me!)
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          David Cameron? (He keeps 'phoning me!)
                          When he does, do you call him "Dave" as required?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

They really are pathetic sometimes, these tv peoip0le are!

Anyway, back on topic, as regards to today's weather, I think we be having what the tv forecasters say sunny intervals!
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• mangerton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post

What's the railway - is it a proper steam one?
                              The Borders Railway. There's more information on that website than you could shake several sticks at.

The line, owned by Network Rail and to be operated by ScotRail, opens in September. It's a 30 mile line from Edinburgh Waverley to Tweedbank, between Galashiels and Melrose. It follows almost exactly the route of the Waverley Line which was closed in 1969, and which is widely regarded as Beeching's worst closure.

It is intended to run some steam trains this year to gauge demand for a fuller steam service in 2016. As you can imagine, my railcard is at the ready.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                all I am interested in is hearing their policies and how they hope to implement them if majority-elected
                                And all I'm interested in a certain politician answering a straight question with a straight answer regarding Welsh funding! Oh well, not long now until we know our fate! Personally I've always loved the Scots.

What a difference a day makes - this morning -1.5 and thick frost, then it seemed to be turning out ok, sunny, chilly wind but reasonably warm. Clouds moved in around lunchtime, spitty rain, temps only a miserable 8° now
                                Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                                It is intended to run some steam trains this year to gauge demand for a fuller steam service in 2016. As you can imagine, my railcard is at the ready.
                                How exciting - and what a lovely viaduct! I suppose Beeching was considered a good thing at the time, but now we can see how shortsighted it was .... hindsight is a wonderful thing of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X