• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Bleak House, indeed!
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

On the BBC screen, I am being told it's 3C.
      The thermometer outside is telling me it's already -2C.
      Hmm.

Comment

• marthe

marthe here, reporting in from snowy New England. Many thanks to Dover Soul for passing along my news. The snow is intensifying right now. It started slowly with small steady flakes which usually means we're in for quite a bit of it. Local parking bans go into effect at 8 PM local time. There's even a statewide driving ban from midnight on. We are all hoping that we don't get the strong winds that have been forecast because they will bring down power lines with resulting loss of all electricty, heat, internet etc. This storm has now been named "Juno" by the weather service. Two years ago, Nemo, another winter blizzard, left us without power for a couple of days. Not a lot of fun and quite cold.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by marthe View Post
          marthe here, reporting in from snowy New England. Many thanks to Dover Soul for passing along my news. The snow is intensifying right now. It started slowly with small steady flakes which usually means we're in for quite a bit of it. Local parking bans go into effect at 8 PM local time. There's even a statewide driving ban from midnight on. We are all hoping that we don't get the strong winds that have been forecast because they will bring down power lines with resulting loss of all electricty, heat, internet etc. This storm has now been named "Juno" by the weather service. Two years ago, Nemo, another winter blizzard, left us without power for a couple of days. Not a lot of fun and quite cold.
          We all wish you well, marthe.

Comment

• marthe

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Here it doesn't look too bad for the weekend. I am particularly concerned for our cross-Atlantic friend Marthe, however, since there appear to be two deep lows about to hit the eastern seaboard this coming Sunday into Monday and Tuesday, the second of which is expected to bring storm-force winds and blizzard-type snowfall on Monday afternoon and overnight into Tuesday morning, with temperatures around minus 6-7 Celsius. I hope you're ready for this, Marthe!
            S_A: just saw this. We are, indeed, getting the beginning of this and are as prepared as we can be short of owning a generator. The HH is old-school and prefers to make use of the 3 fireplaces we have in our humble abode.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              We all wish you well, marthe.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

"Now I know why they named this storm Juno. It's because everyone's asking, 'Hey, Ju-know where the snow is?' "

"Blizzard a bust for NYC as worst fears fail to materialize"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...n-Twitter.html
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• marthe

Good one Caliban! Meanwhile, back at the ranch snow is still blowing around but the worst is over. It's hard to tell how much we got because of wind and drifting. Some spots have barely 1/2 an inch, others 2 1/2 feet. It's cold-weather snow, fine and dry but quite compact making shovelling a bit tricky. We did not lose power so are now well supplied with food, fire wood, size D batteries, etc. All gathered ahead of time just in case the power went out.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by marthe View Post
                    Good one Caliban! Meanwhile, back at the ranch snow is still blowing around but the worst is over. It's hard to tell how much we got because of wind and drifting. Some spots have barely 1/2 an inch, others 2 1/2 feet. It's cold-weather snow, fine and dry but quite compact making shovelling a bit tricky. We did not lose power so are now well supplied with food, fire wood, size D batteries, etc. All gathered ahead of time just in case the power went out.
                    Really relieved to hear you're OK marthe. The news over here made a lot of the storm being much less bad than had been forecast, but their emphasis was on New York, and one got the impression the storm got worse the further north and east you were from there.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

A few wintry showers today and a cutting wind this evening. I don't mind the cold, can cope with frost and snow but I truly hate the wind, particularly one like this that tears your face to shreds.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Several inches of snow in South Yorkshire today !

Comment

• mangerton
                          • Nov 2010

Not even a flake of snow here, and it's a lovely sunny day, though perishing cold.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                            • Nov 2010

....Slushy muck in NYorks....making mud even more abnoxious....
                            bong ching

Comment

• Anna

Bright sunny morning given way to steady, but light, rain. Temps suddenly just dropped like a stone from 5.5° to 2.9° <brrr emoticom> Daily Depress has announced BRITAIN is on major SNOW ALERT this morning as blizzards which crippled Scotland and parts of northern England during the night tear through the country!! Our local BBC weatherman's forecast was 'it'll be hit and miss, some places will have snow, others not'

Comment

• alycidon
                                • Feb 2013

About six inches of snow in the Great Glen, but sunny and bright - at the moment, anyway!
                                Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

Working...
                                X