Stormy Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

I'm sorry that some had a gloomy Sunday afternoon (Dark gloomy Sunday afternoons are quite nice though, nothing better than snuggling up to an old b&w film, with a mug of tea and a hefty slice of fruitcake ) - here it took a while to clear after heavy overnight rain but turned out brilliant sunshine, leading to an absolutely clear sky overnight and this morning - the first frost!! It was really thick and accompanied by fog, -1.5° when I left home but, once the mist had gone, again a lovely blue and gold day, just a few white wisps, temps maxed at only 7.5° and it'll obviously be another hard frost. However, the barometer rose and is staying steady so I think not much rain about except for lightish drizzle for a couple of days then it'll get warmer again.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Terrible weather in the south this weekend sadly rather spoiling the photos outside for a wedding on Saturday - yet glorious sunny autumn day when we got back to Yorkshire yesterday and a lovely day today too .

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

A beautiful, almost cloudless day here too, temperatures not exceeding 5 degrees C but without any wind to lend a chill factor. The ground here is pretty much waterlogged now, and fog was just forming in the glades in nearby Crystal Palace Park, against a turquoise sky with cirrus picked out in bright orange by the setting sun, as I made my way home from a leisurely 4 mile walk: Mother Nature offering up the best psychedelic show in town, and all for free.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Been rather gloomy and dull and wet day today!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Surprisingly warm sunshine for so late in the year, today, with temperatures reaching a mildish 11.5 C and the London Eye just about visible through the thick damp air; but my, I shall have to get out for my afternoon constitutional right now before the sun sets - and still 3 weeks to go to the winter solstice!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Surprisingly warm sunshine for so late in the year, today, with temperatures reaching a mildish 11.5 C and the London Eye just about visible through the thick damp air; but my, I shall have to get out for my afternoon constitutional right now before the sun sets - and still 3 weeks to go to the winter solstice!
              Yes - just had an al fresco lunch at Borough Market, lovely standing-around-munching weather, and then to cycle northwards over Blackfriars Bridge with St Paul's standing bathed in autumn sunshine against a pale blue sky. London at its best.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Yes - just had an al fresco lunch at Borough Market, lovely standing-around-munching weather, and then to cycle northwards over Blackfriars Bridge with St Paul's standing bathed in autumn sunshine against a pale blue sky. London at its best.
                An old school mate of mine conducted an historic walk around the Borough one hot day back in July, ending in the crowded back yard of the popular George Inn, off the high Street, with a Shakespearean grand speech, to which the entire company of assembled happy families and drinkers, strangers all apart from our dozen, responded instantaneously with spontaneous applause!

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

nose to the grindstone again Cals?......

all a bit gloomy here, but mild and dry, so could be worse.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    nose to the grindstone again Cals?......
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mangerton
                      • Nov 2010

Humph. I can well believe you had a Fine Time. Miss m and I had a good look round, and al fresco dinner at, Borough Market in July. I also removed Southwark from my list of cathedrals still to visit.

If you'd tried to have an al fresco lunch in Dundee today, you'd have been soaked, and the mist was so thick that you wouldn't have been able to see what was on your plate. There has been dreadfully dreich weather here all week.

Comment

• greenilex
                        • Nov 2010

Quick update on the Mid-West: lovely bright, snowy days over Thanksgiving, succeeded by warmer weather this weekend. The snow pigs in the back yard are melting fast. Empty roads, few pedestrians and lovely, lovely pumpkin pie with spices.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Hi there folks!! Lovely day!!
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            Hi there folks!! Lovely day!!
                            Isn't it just??!! But, as I was saying yesterday, how fast the evenings come in at this time of year. I wish the powers that be would stick to BST, just to give us all decent length afternoons.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

13 degrees, sunny, and gorgeous here.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                13 degrees, sunny, and gorgeous here.
                                Not quite so warm here, just over 12°, sunny but hazy. Best day since last Monday which was brilliant sun but cold. I've been raking leaves ..... and more to do tomorrow
                                Cold weather spurred on a purchase of new winter duvet at the beginning of the week, finally the long lost snuggle factor has returned to bedtime!

Comment

Working...
                                X