Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Currently having a thunderstorm with very heavy rain. Typical Bank Holiday weekend really.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• amateur51

A seven-minute hail storm just after 19:05 with hail the size of frozen peas - quite a racket!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        A seven-minute hail storm just after 19:05 with hail the size of frozen peas - quite a racket!
        I was tucked up, having a snooze

It didn't wake me

Maybe it vented its fury on NW2 and gave W2 a miss....
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

It didn't wake me

Maybe it vented its fury on NW2 and gave W2 a miss....
          Missed SE19 too. Dry here since 3 pm, if a little windy and cold.

Comment

• marthe

A mix of sun and cloud today but quite chilly. Anna, I hope your water logged garden dries out so that you can get those Peaches and Cream Heuchera planted.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

You have a extended weekend too Marthe?
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                A snooze? Was that in preparation for a heavy Saturday night or recuperation from a hard week Cali?
                Here, we also had the sudden plunge in temps and torrential rain for over two hours, in fact I confess I flipped the heating on. This morning I see the school's fields (adjoining the river, which is a raging torrent) are lake-like, the watertable is obviously still high from the constant rain/floods in the Spring. Any chance of planting has gone, it's all absolutely waterlogged and our projected sunny bank holiday weekend seems to have been reduced to a couple of hours this afternoon and the same tomorrow and then showers on and off for the next 10 days.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                  • Apr 2007

Hammering down here in the SW. Perfect excuse not to mow the lawn, like yesterday
                  I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

The heating has been turned on here, too. It's another cool, wet day though wind has dropped. Last week's little heatwave seems like an age away.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Back home in Moonraker country now, after the hols.
                      Nice here today, warm, rather breezy, done a bit of gardening.

Here is the view from our holiday cottage window, last week. Looking out towards the mainland coast just north of Mallaig.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        A snooze? Was that in preparation for a heavy Saturday night or recuperation from a hard week Cali?
                        Here, we also had the sudden plunge in temps and torrential rain for over two hours, in fact I confess I flipped the heating on. This morning I see the school's fields (adjoining the river, which is a raging torrent) are lake-like, the watertable is obviously still high from the constant rain/floods in the Spring. Any chance of planting has gone, it's all absolutely waterlogged and our projected sunny bank holiday weekend seems to have been reduced to a couple of hours this afternoon and the same tomorrow and then showers on and off for the next 10 days.
                        Don't give up, Anna - evaporation rates are much quicker at this time of the year, and could see you putting your plants in at some point this week. The worst of the rain looks likely to be on this side, but even Brummie Simon's not sure what the weather details will be.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Lovely picture, teamsaint; nice trees too! Thanks.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Lovely picture, teamsaint; nice trees too! Thanks.
                            - with views like that, who needs "hols"?!

The Central Heating (set to 16 degrees) came on of its own free will this morning - 'tho' then there was quite a bit of sun, and I managed to get a 20 minute walk around the "village" and an hour's gardening (I dug up a whole colony of what I hope are weeds). Then, at about eleven o'clock, the rain began and it's chucking itself at us! I hope there's at least one clear day next week - I'm hoping to walk up to the top of Pen-y-Ghent: something I've never done in the 17-and-a-half years I've lived here.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• mangerton
                              • Nov 2010

Great picture, ts. I'm glad to see you got the good weather. The person who coined the saying, "There's no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothing." obviously wasn't a photographer.

Enjoy Pen-y-Ghent, ferney. It looks most picturesque from the train whenever I pass it on the scenic Settle to Carlisle line. 17.5 years is nothing. I've lived here 25 years, and there are still things I have to do.

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

Well, if you're on Pen-y-Ghent right now, you'll be surfing. It is shoveling it down up here.

Comment

Working...
                                X