X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Another very warm and sunny day here.
    The dogs have been struggling a little with the heat.
    Have a great time ts.

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

At last! Some respite!

A monster rainstorm at 2 am will have done wonders for the plants. It's also settled the dust and I note it's 27 degrees C at the moment (11.30 am).

Of course, nothing is free and we've had to put up with a long power cut, no phone or internet () and no cable TV. The TV is still out but everything else is back now.

Comment

• Anna

I'm so envious of teamsaint spending his holiday in Skye - a place I've never been to but is on my wish list. The Met Office amber warning for rain there (which ts confirms was accurate!) continues until this afternoon when it becomes showery. Still, what does weather matter in such a beautiful place, I'm sure he's fully equipped with waterproofs! Perhaps a couple of pics later??

Here we had a peak of 21.7° with a lovely brisk breeze so it was very pleasant comared to yesterday. The field I look at from the back is slowly transforming into a sea of yellow buttercups and the May trees around the boundary are so laden with blossom it looks like there's been a heavy fall of snow. I don't think I've ever seen such a profusion of Dog Roses in the hedge before, one of my favourite flowers. At the moment it's about 16° with a SW slight breeze. I bought some local strawberries yesterday in the market (£1 a punnet) and they are delicious - Summer is here?

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Oh yes, Anna, could'nt agree more! Well it's a fantastical grand orbistatica weekend this!!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            I'm so envious of teamsaint spending his holiday in Skye - a place I've never been to but is on my wish list. The Met Office amber warning for rain there (which ts confirms was accurate!) continues until this afternoon when it becomes showery. Still, what does weather matter in such a beautiful place, I'm sure he's fully equipped with waterproofs! Perhaps a couple of pics later??

Here we had a peak of 21.7° with a lovely brisk breeze so it was very pleasant comared to yesterday. The field I look at from the back is slowly transforming into a sea of yellow buttercups and the May trees around the boundary are so laden with blossom it looks like there's been a heavy fall of snow. I don't think I've ever seen such a profusion of Dog Roses in the hedge before, one of my favourite flowers. At the moment it's about 16° with a SW slight breeze. I bought some local strawberries yesterday in the market (£1 a punnet) and they are delicious - Summer is here?
            That all sorts wonderful Anna. This Spring has really been outstanding for blossom & flowers, tho' I have a feeling I say that most years It's the relief after all the dull days of everlasting Winter.

Yesterday I had the first-ever goldfinch here on the fat balls, which cheered me up enormously - simple pleasures

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Another glorious Spring morning here though a trifle more breezy than yesterday.

Incidentally, what is the ruling as regards starting the seasons with a capital letter in mid-sentence? Spring and Summer look right but Autumn and Winter don't.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                Another glorious Spring morning here though a trifle more breezy than yesterday.

Incidentally, what is the ruling as regards starting the seasons with a capital letter in mid-sentence? Spring and Summer look right but Autumn and Winter don't.
                Just fetched my paper on bike. Pleasantly sunny but a cool edge to the breeze. Seasons aren't proper nouns and I assume they should be small unless written by Vivaldi.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  The Seasons are all Proper Nouns so start with a capital letter wherever they occur in the sentence. I think texting, etc., has made the use of capital letters an iffy area but, being a secret pedant, it annoys me when they're not used!
                  Have just inspected the fruits of my labour in the garden, very pleased, will plant up new perennials today and then relax and generally enjoy the sunshine (it's ice cream weather, wish Mr. Whippy still came around here - did they ban ice cream vans due to the chimes?)

Edit: crossposted with gurnemanz - of course the Seasons are Proper!!

Comment

• amateur51

Edit: crossposted with gurnemanz - of course the Seasons are Proper!!
                    Except the Season that starts on the Glorious Twelfth which is quite improper

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

The Seasons are all Proper Nouns so start with a capital letter wherever they occur in the sentence. I think texting, etc., has made the use of capital letters an iffy area but, being a secret pedant, it annoys me when they're not used!
                      This is much as I've always understood it but you so rarely see it I was beginning to wonder.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• mangerton
                        • Nov 2010

I've been maintaining quite a low profile on this thread recently, because the weather in these parts has been so deplorable that I might have disgraced myself. Things have not been helped by miss m posting pictures of herself and partner enjoying an al fresco drink in Durham this weekend. It could have been Rome. However, today things look as though they may be improving. I do hope so. I hope teamsaint is having a fine time in Skye, though I fear the weather may not be brilliant at the moment. For Anna, until teamsaint posts, here and here are two pictures I took in Skye in March 2006. It is without doubt a lovely part of the world.

Next week I am again taking advantage of Scotrail's kind offer to the aged of a £19 (£17 with railcard) return ticket anywhere in Scotland. This time my destination will be Plockton in the north west, five hours by train from Dundee, changing in Perth and Inverness. I'm looking forward to the prawns, and I understand there is now a local micro brewery!

Comment

• Anna

mangerton, thank you so much for the photos of Skye - such blue skies in March yet with snow on the mountains! As to Plockton, I'd never heard of it but a quick look landed me on it's homepage and I see it has palm trees! So that's the Gulf Stream giving it a mild climate I presume, does it also have midges? It looks lovely, (as does the menu for the Plockton Inn) I hope you have a wonderful time and that the weather is good to you. I see you can also take a boat trip from there to go seal watching - that would be fun.

Here I have been incredibly industrious <halo emoticom> - dug, weeded, cleared, an 8' bed ready to turn into a herb garden, planted new shrubs, watered but not yet heeled them in. Cloud started to build in the West but cleared away again, constant breeze is lovely. My Top Tip of the Day: when bending over digging directly beneath an outward opening window - stand back before straightening up!!
                          Last edited by Guest; 19-05-14, 09:47. Reason: typo - seal trips - not sea trip

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

My Top Tip of the Day: when bending over digging directly beneath an outward opening window - stand back before straightening up!!

Was the air blue in that part of Wales when you discovered the importance of that tip, Anna?

Poor you!

And blue indeed are the skies in those great photos, mangerton - you should get those and more onto the Photo Booth thread! Great stuff!
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              orbistatica
                              Sometimes, I hate myself...

"...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Was the air blue in that part of Wales when you discovered the importance of that tip, Anna? Poor you!

And blue indeed are the skies in those great photos, mangerton - you should get those and more onto the Photo Booth thread! Great stuff!
                                It was indeed rather blue - and I saw s!! No lasting damage but a hasty retreat and a cup of tea was needed. I've now finished my labours for the day and intend to go outside and eat remains of the strawberries I bought yesterday.
                                Yes mangerton, you are indeed an ace photographer and we expect to see snaps of Plockton upon your return! Oh, and any interesting cloud photos for S_A., I hope he wasn't disappointed by the Wisteria today, the ones here are still in full bloom and looking so lovely.
                                Last edited by Guest; 18-05-14, 15:29. Reason: remembered wisteria

Comment

Working...
                                X