Stormy Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

No frost here overnight, temp only fell to 5° (it had been a very grey, cloudy, day) but lovely to wake this morning to brilliant blue skies and sunshine and see a hot-air balloon taking off and another one drifting Westwards. A high of 14.8°, just a few fluffy clouds appearing and getting slightly hazy. I think the forecast here is for staying dry but cloudy until around midweek then showery - the Amber Warning we had for rain on Thursday just didn't happen, only one heavy shower midmorning.

The apple blossom looks lovely as do the Lilacs, the May is now out (so I can cast a clout!)

Comment

• mangerton
      • Nov 2010

Very cold here for May - c 8º C, so there will be no cloot casting going on hereabouts. It is however dry - probably fortunately, as any precipitation would doubtless fall as snow.

Avatar for Al Feldstein d 29-4-14 RIP

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
        Very cold here for May - c 8º C, so there will be no cloot casting going on hereabouts. It is however dry - probably fortunately, as any precipitation would doubtless fall as snow.
        Only below 4 degrees C, generally-speaking, mangerton.

Comment

• mangerton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Only below 4 degrees C, generally-speaking, mangerton.
          S_A, yes, I know, thanks. I was being rather pessimistic. I just feels cold enough for snow.

I see there is still ski-ing at Glencoe.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Anna,where's ya bin ?
            Glorious sunny day in North Cheshire,clouding over a bit now.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Oh Anna! Wherefore for art hast thou been,? Very much missed!!

A gorgeous day today!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

In response to queries - I haven't been anywhere but I've been spending all spare time up a ladder with a paintbrush! - at the moment I've furniture piled up in the hall whilst I tackle another room - perhaps I should be on Flay's decorating thread? Yesterday I did the ceiling and coving, unsure as to whether to plough on and start on the walls (I was Polyfillaring at 8am !) or give it a rest and do some gardening and chill out a bit as the forecast this weekend remains good. Lovely bright morning again, chilly night at just over 4° and already creeping up to 11°
                Wayside banks are awash with Cow Parsley which looks very pretty (I thought it was also called Queen Anne's Lace but it seems I'm probably wrong but it's a nicer name and a better description), also saw quite a few Peacock butterflies and I can confirm I do have a bumble bee nest.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                  • May 2011

31°C, but we've just had some rain. You can almost hear the plants rejoicing ("Praise ye the god of rain"! Walton never set that...).

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    In response to queries - I haven't been anywhere but I've been spending all spare time up a ladder with a paintbrush! - at the moment I've furniture piled up in the hall whilst I tackle another room - perhaps I should be on Flay's decorating thread? Yesterday I did the ceiling and coving, unsure as to whether to plough on and start on the walls (I was Polyfillaring at 8am !) or give it a rest and do some gardening and chill out a bit as the forecast this weekend remains good. Lovely bright morning again, chilly night at just over 4° and already creeping up to 11°
                    Wayside banks are awash with Cow Parsley which looks very pretty (I thought it was also called Queen Anne's Lace but it seems I'm probably wrong but it's a nicer name and a better description), also saw quite a few Peacock butterflies and I can confirm I do have a bumble bee nest.
                    Might ask you to do ours

Put the kettle on, first time this morning, ok, everything fi9ne, then next fill-up, water pressure low!!

Apart from that, a lovely day today!
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                      31°C, but we've just had some rain. You can almost hear the plants rejoicing ("Praise ye the god of rain"! Walton never set that...).
                      I imagine it must feel something like a sauna!

Brilliantly sunny here today, if not especially warm - time for a bike ride. Shirley - a place, not woman - about 5 miles to the south west of here, offers the first intimations of countryside when leaving London to the south, in the form of a large golf course, transected with a couple of miles of pre-existing back lane vestigials leading on through woods and fields with views along the way, blocked off to motorised traffic at each end, but ideal for walkers, riders and cyclists.

All the best with the re-decs, Anna. My turn is probably due. I don't have coving - just right angles where walls meet ceilings and spiders lurk.

Comment

• arancie33
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        Or Paddy Roberts, of whom no-one else has heard, I imagine
                        OK, I'll fall for it "The Ballad of Bethnal Green", "Down in Drury Lane .........." and so on. I may even have the well worn vinyl lurking somewhere (PR at the Blue Angel, IIRC) unless one of the offspring has nicked it

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

A lovely day ensues, methinks!
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

Yesterday was lovely and warm, slight drizzle during the evening, today dawned cloudy but now sunny spells, about 15° and I see the Met Office's forecast for here has been revised to staying mainly dry this week but heavy rain on Friday. Good news - the bats are back! (Perhaps they never went away) yesterday, just around dusk, was the first time I've noticed them for ages - they certainly didn't seem to be around much last year - and they were continuously swooping back and forth very low outside the window - evidently having a good feed. I like bats I cannot understand why a neighbour is terrified of them.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                              Yesterday was lovely and warm, slight drizzle during the evening, today dawned cloudy but now sunny spells, about 15° and I see the Met Office's forecast for here has been revised to staying mainly dry this week but heavy rain on Friday. Good news - the bats are back! (Perhaps they never went away) yesterday, just around dusk, was the first time I've noticed them for ages - they certainly didn't seem to be around much last year - and they were continuously swooping back and forth very low outside the window - evidently having a good feed. I like bats I cannot understand why a neighbour is terrified of them.
                              I like crickets too...

Comment

• mangerton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                I like crickets too...
                                I'm stumped to know how to reply to that, except perhaps to say it's a lot of b*lls.

I do remember while on holiday in Devon in the 60s that a bat got into my parents' room. Mother was not impressed, apparently.

OT, the sun appeared here about an hour ago, for the first time today.

Comment

Working...
                                X