X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by marthe View Post
    That strong wind must have been scary. We've been through a few gales and hurricanes over here so I can only imagine what it's been like for those who were in the path of the storm. Today it's cloudy, breezy, but not raining. Our temps are supposed to dive down into the teens/twenties F for Christmas Day.
    I know, I've seen that, marthe. Temperature 68 F at New York and 27 F at Toronto on Saturday gave some idea of the temperature contrasts leading to the weather systems crossing the Atlantic being so deep compared with usual, even at this time of year.

Hope all goes well for a happy Christmas chez vous!

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Sleet squalls, snow on tops, sheets of rain and very fierce winds.
      BUT
      this is what we get in March anyway.

The jet stream movement has permitted the south an experience of what we in Ultima Thule get as pretty regular winter fare. Welcome to the real world. The power companies will be rubbing their hands all the way to the bank.

Comment

• Frances_iom
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        SE London seems to hae been quite badly hit -..
        currently in Guildford - luckily I choose the best day to get the boat off the IoM as subsequently several have been cancelled and for almost the 1st time ever there will (weather permitting) be a delayed sailing early Xmas morning to return strandees from the UK - Guildford had very heavy rain last night - the River Wey is flooded almost up to top of arch of old bridge tho there is still some 2 to 3m to go to meet the record flood markings on the wall of the nearby church. Many homes are reported to be without power - the local BBC repeater is off air (no usable FM or DAB signal in this part of town) tho I can't find any reference as to why - ? is mast down or power lost ?
        ETA - the repeater was resurrected about 18:30 - maybe someone read my post!
        Last edited by Frances_iom; 24-12-13, 19:51.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Well, that was a storm and a half last night in our region!! Over 100,000 homes without power, we're one of the lucky ones, although our lights did flicker, so out came the torches(ju8st in case!) thankfully not bad, a few flooded areas of road, etc, fallen trees....
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• mangerton
            • Nov 2010

It's not been too bad a day here - one brief snow shower, and that was all. The trees indicated strong winds, and I see the Tay road bridge is closed to everything except cars. I'm appalled to note that my barometer is currently reading 962 mb.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              SE London seems to hae been quite badly hit - trains not operating, fallen trees... St Mary Cray...
              A sister was prevented from joining us today from outer Kent due - according to station staff - to fallen trees on the line at... the same St Mary Cray.

Must have been a rough night in those parts
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

very bad down in the West. Winds were ferocious in the small hours.
                Trains a complete shambles today, although the tracks were under a few feet of water in places.
                However, the companies appear to have made precious little provision for the well predicted blast.

Must be a lot of people stuck in the wrong places.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                  It's not been too bad a day here - one brief snow shower, and that was all. The trees indicated strong winds, and I see the Tay road bridge is closed to everything except cars. I'm appalled to note that my barometer is currently reading 962 mb.
                  Good Grief mangerton, why are you getting so Uber-Sentimental about a barometer reading? Mine is 986 - surely better than yours? Oh, yes, and my trees are currently reading A Christmas Carol. What was that quote from Scrooge about a turkey's legs not supporting him and snapping like sealing wax?

Been a funny old Christmas Eve here, how festive is Wagner on R3? (I bet we all have CFM on and well-loved Carols!)

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Nasty stuff up here, sleet, snow, fierce winds, and drenching rain. Batten down the hatches. Could be a very rough night!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      Nasty stuff up here, sleet, snow, fierce winds, and drenching rain. Batten down the hatches. Could be a very rough night!
                      Is that not the Joy of Christmas - a rough ride, but knowing Santa and his Elves would have deposited goodies overnight? And the crackle of the bedclothes when you know there is a stocking?

I love it, I want to open at least one present now that is under the tree!!!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        Is that not the Joy of Christmas - a rough ride, but knowing Santa and his Elves would have deposited goodies overnight? And the crackle of the bedclothes when you know there is a stocking?

I love it, I want to open at least one present now that is under the tree!!!
                        One hour to go! do you think it'll be a white Christmas?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

I'm - dreaming of a wet - Christ-mas....
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

So the Daily Express got the weather right then did they?
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• mangerton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                              Good Grief mangerton, why are you getting so Uber-Sentimental about a barometer reading? Mine is 986 - surely better than yours? Oh, yes, and my trees are currently reading A Christmas Carol. What was that quote from Scrooge about a turkey's legs not supporting him and snapping like sealing wax?

Been a funny old Christmas Eve here, how festive is Wagner on R3? (I bet we all have CFM on and well-loved Carols!)
                              Not sentimental Anna, more concerned. The reading dropped rapidly this evening, and the wind has increased in strength. I see the Tay Bridge is now completely closed. This happens when wind speeds reach 80 mph.

You're right though - that "reading" idiom is rather peculiar.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

I do hope that everyone is safe and well over this Christmas period, despite the hardship of yesterdays travel chaos.
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X