X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Another wild night last night, with promises of more to come, hmmmmm.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      Another wild night last night, with promises of more to come, hmmmmm.
      Indeed, and the rain/gales I mentioned for tomorrow has now been upgraded to an Amber Warning Oh well, it seems that Christmas Day will now be sunny and bright, ideal for post-luncheon walk to burn off the calories ..... Which reminds me, I have to buy a good supply of chocolates!
      Re Christmas tv, apart from Dr. Who & Sherlock (the latter I probably won't see until I get home) there is a Mark Gattis adaptation of a MR James which looks promising and a PD James/Jane Austen 3 parter, might also be worth watching.
      (And, if teamsaint is reading this - the men of the family are not going to watch Bury on NY Day but are off to see Liverpool, of which, for reasons unknown, they are avid supporters)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Indeed, and the rain/gales I mentioned for tomorrow has now been upgraded to an Amber Warning Oh well, it seems that Christmas Day will now be sunny and bright, ideal for post-luncheon walk to burn off the calories ..... Which reminds me, I have to buy a good supply of chocolates!
        Re Christmas tv, apart from Dr. Who & Sherlock (the latter I probably won't see until I get home) there is a Mark Gattis adaptation of a MR James which looks promising and a PD James/Jane Austen 3 parter, might also be worth watching.
        (And, if teamsaint is reading this - the men of the family are not going to watch Bury on NY Day but are off to see Liverpool, of which, for reasons unknown, they are avid supporters)
        I see that gales or above gale-force winds are expected to be reached by midday tomorrow here in London, lasting for 12-14 hours at least. Winds at over 60 miles per hour are extremely difficult for beings of our size and average bulk to stay upright in. My strong advice to everybody would be to stay indoors for the duration, or alternatively if going out wear tight-fitting crash helmet with visor and lead-soled footwear!

It'll be interesting to find out of Tuesday and Wednesday's low will turn out to have the lowest central pressure of any within the vicinity of the British Isles yet on record.

Another big blow looks like coming along on Friday.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Yes, Christmas Day and Boxing Day look alright look alright, it is today tomorrow and Friday look rather bad. Hope everyone will be safe and well! MrsBBM has a nasty cough. I her taking her to the doctors later.
          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Yes, Christmas Day and Boxing Day look alright look alright, it is today tomorrow and Friday look rather bad. Hope everyone will be safe and well! MrsBBM has a nasty cough. I her taking her to the doctors later.
            Has she had it a while, Bbm? There's a nasty cold bug going around that ends up with a very unpleasant cough that goes on for ever - mine since 06 November

The GP said there was little she could do, which is fine if that's the way it is - I hope that Mrs Bbm throws it off soon.

Wind speed and force picking up here and the rain has started- an afternoon with a good book and some interesting music I reckon
            Last edited by Guest; 23-12-13, 15:09. Reason: trypo city

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I think, unfortunately, ams, MrsBBM, had a cold beforehand, so could be similar toi the one you have been suffering with! Hmmmm Well GP later, so we see what they have to say?

The wind has certainly picked up today, rain as well, another
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

Horrible here. Not too bad early on, then rain and wind increased. The local weather station reports we've had 21.5mm rain so far today and wind constant at just under 30mph gusting at 50mph. I'm just on the edge of the Met Office map where the amber meets the yellow warning! It's also very gloomy and limited visibility, I thought it may be easing but it's still tipping down. Looks like it'll be a rough night though but drier tomorrow.

There's also a nasty throat infection going around here leading to a lingering hacking cough, a friend's been very poorly with it for a fortnight. BBM - give Mrs. BBM some hot whisky toddies!!

Comment

• amateur51

BBM - give Mrs. BBM some hot whisky toddies!!
                  Ahem! And what about moi?

Comment

• mangerton
                    • Nov 2010

It all sounds fairly dire (weatherwise!) in the south. There were a few snow flurries yesterday in the city. The Sidlaws had a lightish covering today. On my way to work at 10.45 the temp was 3Âş C, and there was sleet.

Roll on 8.00 pm!

Comment

• mangerton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Ahem! And what about moi?
                      Why would BBM give vous hot whisky toddies?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

BBM - give Mrs. BBM some hot whisky toddies!!
                        I recommend the Bushmills Distillery recipe - whiskey [sic], hot water, sugar, a couple of cloves, pinch of cinnamon.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                          Why would BBM give vous hot whisky toddies?
                          Amsy is OK - he luckily isn't Mrs BBM!!!

A sudden gust here 15 minutes ago upset all five of our recycling wheely bins - Yours Truly had to go out in it and scoop the stuff back in, moving all but one of said bins into the main bin compound, where some shelter is afforded providing the wooden fencing doesn't blow down, and the other one to behind the higher wooden fence surrounding the clothes drying area ditto. My flat in in the SW angle of the block, a narrow passage with external staircases between the two blocks forming a T-shape having a funnelling and hence concentrating effect on the approaching winds analogous to that of the narrowing Bristol Channel on the local tides. So you can imagine this is quite scary in weather of this kind, especially with a large overhanging hawthorne tree some 10 metres to the SW; I could move into the N-facing room but somehow I don't expect much sleep tonight!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            I could move into the N-facing room but somehow I don't expect much sleep tonight!
                            I wonder if some of Bbm's hot whiskey toddies might aid your slumbers, S_A

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                              I recommend the Bushmills Distillery recipe - whiskey [sic], hot water, sugar, a couple of cloves, pinch of cinnamon.
                              Shouldn't that be "whiskey [hic]"?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                I wonder if some of Bbm's hot whiskey toddies might aid your slumbers, S_A
                                ... hic?...

Comment

Working...
                                X