• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    the Warriors . Brilliant name.
    Grainger thought so - and he was, of course, part Scots himself...

Comment

• marthe

Clear, blue skies, strong NW wind today in Newport, RI. Perfect Thanksgiving weather. Spent part of the day with my mother at the nursing home. Later, one of my sisters joined us for a non-traditional TG dinner of pot roast cooked by chef HH. We ended the day at one of the few pubs open today. We're doing the big turkey with all the trimmings for Christmas. Lovely walk on one of the beaches, as well, though we got sandblasted by the blowing sand. Black Friday tomorrow...a day for most Americans to spend, spend, spend. I shall be keeping my credit card safely in my wallet.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

Are you getting up to anything interesting tomorrow ?....http://www.laravisual.com/old-finnis...n-their-heads/
        bong ching

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
          Are you getting up to anything interesting tomorrow ?....http://www.laravisual.com/old-finnis...n-their-heads/
          Great link eighth - many thanks

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by marthe View Post
            Clear, blue skies, strong NW wind today in Newport, RI. Perfect Thanksgiving weather. Spent part of the day with my mother at the nursing home. Later, one of my sisters joined us for a non-traditional TG dinner of pot roast cooked by chef HH. We ended the day at one of the few pubs open today. We're doing the big turkey with all the trimmings for Christmas. Lovely walk on one of the beaches, as well, though we got sandblasted by the blowing sand. Black Friday tomorrow...a day for most Americans to spend, spend, spend. I shall be keeping my credit card safely in my wallet.
            It was explained on the radio this morning that today, the first day of Xmas shopping (officially or not I don't know) is known over there as Black Friday. Nothing to do with banking crises, we were told!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
              Thanks for that link, 8th! I've emailed it to a good friend who just happens to be very attractive, young, and Finnish!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

S_A do you give any credence to the forecast of three months severe winter weather starting next week?

the met office is playing down the tabloid headlines ....
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                  S_A do you give any credence to the forecast of three months severe winter weather starting next week?

" ... some headlines in the media today ... "

I have not checked, but could that possibly be The Daily Express and/or The Daily Mail?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Thanks for that link, 8th! I've emailed it to a good friend who just happens to be very attractive, young, and Finnish!
                    Nothing better than a happy Finnish

"...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• alycidon
                      • Feb 2013

I think that the title of this thread was prophetic for a day such as we are having in the Land of the Monster!
                      Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post

3 months would be pushing it. Remember, one of the functions of the bourgeois press is to make us feel miserable, using the weather as metaphor for all the things we can't control, like heating bills. "Brummie Simon" is notoriously skeptical about newspaper alarmism about the weather; along with the rest he's predicting cold dry weather but not extreme cold for most parts until the new year. His rather technical forecast from today - click on the clip on the left of the screen:

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Rather a busy day yesterday, and my back has been playing no end but still struggled on! I hope the weekend will not be struggling on too mkuch. Hoping for a restful couple of days, and still working on my latest project for this American university concert band(64 strong!!)
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

Happy St. Andrew's Day to all our Scottish posters. Lang may yer lum reek!
                            Cold, bright, high of 7° dropping rapidly now, skies still clear so frost expected. Lovely and starry last night, shame Comet Ison seems to have bumped into sun as forecast, was looking forward to it.
                            Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            cold dry weather but not extreme cold for most parts until the new year.
                            That doesn't sound too bad - at the moment I'm not sure if I am Oop North for Christmas or just for the New Year - so snow I do not want! (Advent Sunday tomorrow, the traditional day to write cards, except I haven't even bought any, let alone looked at them!)

Comment

• mangerton
                              • Nov 2010

Thank you, Anna. I'll celebrate in due course by having curry! Not very Scottish, I know. However, yesterday I went to a colleague's for dinner, and we had a delicious venison fillet, shot fairly locally I gathered by the husband of another colleague. This info is probably in the wrong thread, so to get back OT:

Dry, mild sunny day today. Pitch black now of course.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

November temperatures locally:

Max- 8.9 C - 1.1 C below normal
                                Min - 4.2 C - 0.2 C above normal

I only recorded frost on 2 nights - on the morning of the 20th it had dipped to Minus 2 C. I guess this is why there are still quite a few leaves on some of the trees, though they're falling fast at the slightest breeze.

PS - 3 months without a smoke, and I'm suffering from my worst cold in years!!! (Literally)

Comment

Working...
                                X