• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    the correct year was actually 1962 and because it was a Leap Year the date was February 29.
    ? !960 or '64, then, Pet.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• marthe

I'm glad to see that Stormy Weather friends survived the stormy weather. There was a bit of "media hype" over here about the big blow and I had my fingers crossed that all would come through OK. We're still on summer time here (Daylight Savings Time) with clocks going back this coming weekend. Little Darlings in fancy dress will be roaming the streets this Thursday to collect their annual Halloween booty. I'm leading a walking tour of Newport's old burial ground on Wednesday, day before Halloween. Could be interesting.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by marthe View Post
        I'm glad to see that Stormy Weather friends survived the stormy weather. There was a bit of "media hype" over here about the big blow and I had my fingers crossed that all would come through OK. We're still on summer time here (Daylight Savings Time) with clocks going back this coming weekend. Little Darlings in fancy dress will be roaming the streets this Thursday to collect their annual Halloween booty. I'm leading a walking tour of Newport's old burial ground on Wednesday, day before Halloween. Could be interesting.
        Good to hear from you marthe, and we all I'm sure join in wishing you well in your grave situation. (Wishing..........well).

This btw might be a reminder to all to stock up your stash of softmints in preparation for the little trick or treat terrors.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Yes, of course you're right about 1963. I think my memory is playing tricks again and the correct year was actually 1962 and because it was a Leap Year the date was February 29.
          Leap years in the 20th century:

1962?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

One way to resolve this would be for anyone who has records to check what the weather was actually doing on the day in contention. Unfortunately mine only started in '63.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I was in Bromley on Sunday night/Saturday morning, and I really cannot see what the fuss was about. It was quite windy, but as some of the other residents said, it was an interesting "non-storm". Yet the railway system was shut down. Talk about an over-reaction. A sensibly precaution might have been to remove cranes from the tops of high buildings, but they couldn't have done that - it might have been sensible.

On the way home, I became aware of several serious road accidents that had nothing to do with the "Great Storm". No mention of them in the news. There's no drama in that.

Comment

• Flay
                • Mar 2007

One abiding memory is February 28 1963 and although I was only 8 I can remember the most ferocious wind I've ever experienced. Slates were falling off the roofs and trees uprooted. My father's van was stopped dead in the road by the force of the wind. Nothing on that scale today. Perhaps that 1963 event was purely local as I never see any record of it but I'll never forget it.
                I suspect Petrushka is correct with her dates:

Last edited by Flay; 29-10-13, 17:01. Reason: oops, posted 1962 page first time!
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Flay
                  • Mar 2007

No, 1962 could have been a contender too:

So that's not been much help!
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                    I suspect Petrushka is correct with her dates:
                    I thought Petrushka was a bloke? No matter, lovely day here, crisp and clear. But, I smell Jack Frost in the air, I wouldn't be surprised if he lands tomorrow with his icy fingers trailing on the grass. Talking to the old-timers round here, 1963 was not a patch on 1947 for unalleviated hardship followed by floods, and mangerton, that Bleath Gill is one of my favourites! When men were men, and if you had a flat cap and moleskin trousers .... you could conquer the world and dig them out of the deepest of drifts!
                    (Halloween is a non-event here. some of the tinies have parties but the general consensus is that it's something alien being foisted on us by retailers. But just in case I always buy some Cadburys Fun-Sized so I can then eat them myself)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

From what I recall, the severest weather in 1947 didn't get going until March, so there was the unexpected aspect of it, weather forecasting accuracies not being what they would be by 1963, and of course Britain was still subject to everyday postwar privations at that time, Anna.

Comment

• Flay
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        I thought Petrushka was a bloke?
                        Sorry!
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                          Sorry!
                          He was a puppet.

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            I thought Petrushka was a bloke?
                            I was when I last looked! The puppet in Stravinsky's ballet was male anyway so I've no idea why this should cause confusion (isn't it a diminutive of Peter?)

It's Flosshilde who causes confusion!

Back on topic: It's been a vile day here, much worse than yesterday, with strong winds and rain.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

The puppet in Stravinsky's ballet was male anyway so I've no idea why this should cause confusion (isn't it a diminutive of Peter?)
                              I believe so - not unlike "Pierrot".
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Anna

I was correct in thinking I could smell the frost coming, it got to under 2° here (a beautiful clear starry night, got to figure out what that exceptionally bright star is, around 3am-ish, in a ESE direction?) and a thick frost on roofs and the grass in the field. Today has been mainly bright, but very cold wind, I think it's been chilly all day (but that may just be me, need to get acclimatised after all this mildness), under 11° now, but gone cloudy and rain on the way.
                                (has anyone heard from BBM since his move? hope he's ok)

Comment

Working...
                                X