Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mangerton
    • Nov 2010

I'm glad to see that board members all appear to have weathered the storm safely. It's been a lovely calm sunny day here today, but with the clock change on Sunday, the street lights are already on as I write.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
      I'm glad to see that board members all appear to have weathered the storm safely. It's been a lovely calm sunny day here today, but with the clock change on Sunday, the street lights are already on as I write.
      Well, not quite so dark here but I must dig out my lamp timers - nothing worse than coming home to a dark house Overall, a lovely, quite bright in places, day with hardly any wind but chill at the mo at only 9.7° I suppose we shall soon have a frost which will finish off my tubs, still valiantly blooming and then it's rapidly headlong into the bleak midwinter .....

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        Yep there's no doubt you should be tolerant of such types in this day and age....no matter what your inclination....
        Sorry,it's my osteoporosis - space bar doesn't respond unless I type very slowly.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
          Sorry,it's my osteoporosis - space bar doesn't respond unless I type very slowly.

An experienced typecaster.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
            ....begone, begone....
            bong ching

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

The really irritating thing about severe storms is that its never overgrown oversized Buddleia that get blown down.

Lots of roads blocked hereabouts this morning, but managed to get to Swindon in record time. Go figure.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                The really irritating thing about severe storms is that its never overgrown oversized Buddleia that get blown down.

Lots of roads blocked hereabouts this morning, but managed to get to Swindon in record time. Go figure.
                Gadzooks! Our TS has traded in his British passport for an American one!
                It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                  Gadzooks! Our TS has traded in his British passport for an American one!
                  3 years undergrad American History is going to affect a man.

Here's one you might enjoy, @Noggo. (from really rather a good straight down the middle rock album ).
                  From 1987's Bikini Red. This is another great song from a great Screaming Blue Messiahs album. A little different than what they normally put out, but it w...
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Some heavy rain first thing this morning but no more windy than is usual. In fact it was much windier on Friday than it was today. As storms go I've seen a lot worse. One abiding memory is February 28 1963 and although I was only 8 I can remember the most ferocious wind I've ever experienced. Slates were falling off the roofs and trees uprooted. My father's van was stopped dead in the road by the force of the wind. Nothing on that scale today. Perhaps that 1963 event was purely local as I never see any record of it but I'll never forget it.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Plenty of rain today but hardly a storm.
                      Clear sky this evening and noticed the temperature had dropped considerably when I was out walking the dogs.

Comment

• mangerton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        Some heavy rain first thing this morning but no more windy than is usual. In fact it was much windier on Friday than it was today. As storms go I've seen a lot worse. One abiding memory is February 28 1963 and although I was only 8 I can remember the most ferocious wind I've ever experienced. Slates were falling off the roofs and trees uprooted. My father's van was stopped dead in the road by the force of the wind. Nothing on that scale today. Perhaps that 1963 event was purely local as I never see any record of it but I'll never forget it.
                        I think the rest of the country was f-f-frozen to death at that time - certainly in the borders where I lived at the time it was perishing cold, and there had been constant snow and freezing temperatures since the end of December.

For February 1963 Wikipedia reports this: In February 1963 more snow came. It was also stormy with winds reaching Force 8 on the Beaufort scale (gale force winds).
                        A 36-hour blizzard caused heavy drifting snow in most parts of the country. Drifts reached 20 feet (6.1 m) in some areas and there were gale force winds reaching up to 81 mph (130 km/h). On the Isle of Man, wind speeds were recorded at 119 mph (191 km/h).

The British Transport Films Snow from 1963 and the 1955 Snowdrift at Bleath Gill are excellent reminders of how things used to be done on the railways.

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                          I think the rest of the country was f-f-frozen to death at that time - certainly in the borders where I lived at the time it was perishing cold, and there had been constant snow and freezing temperatures since the end of December.

For February 1963 Wikipedia reports this: In February 1963 more snow came. It was also stormy with winds reaching Force 8 on the Beaufort scale (gale force winds).
                          A 36-hour blizzard caused heavy drifting snow in most parts of the country. Drifts reached 20 feet (6.1 m) in some areas and there were gale force winds reaching up to 81 mph (130 km/h). On the Isle of Man, wind speeds were recorded at 119 mph (191 km/h).

The British Transport Films Snow from 1963 and the 1955 Snowdrift at Bleath Gill are excellent reminders of how things used to be done on the railways.
                          Yes, of course you're right about 1963. I think my memory is playing tricks again and the correct year was actually 1962 and because it was a Leap Year the date was February 29.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                            • Nov 2010

Radio 4 had an Archive Hour on the winter of 1963 a few years back and the conditions being described just sounded appalling. It was also pointed out that hardly any homes had central heating in those days. The things we take for granted!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Are you sure about the year Pet? I've kept the weather diary I recorded in '63 and the entry for Feb 28 showed the same cold SSE continental polar airstream that had given the UK an exceptionally dry end of month that year, but no particularly high winds anywhere.

Edit: only just noticed your subsequent message - my apologies!

Comment

• mangerton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
                                Radio 4 had an Archive Hour on the winter of 1963 a few years back and the conditions being described just sounded appalling. It was also pointed out that hardly any homes had central heating in those days. The things we take for granted!
                                Quite! Certainly our house in the borders was heated by coal fires at that time.

Comment

Working...
                                X