X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    It's now getting very windy here and there has already been some blustery showers. The area covered by the Great Storm on the BBC weather map may or may not be over here, difficult to tell. Very strong winds can punch out our fence panels (one once blew down the road) so anything can happen. Perhaps we will be glad that a neighbour persuaded us to cut down a very large tree in our garden last summer (they paid as it was overhanging).
    It's the one thing that really worries me: the close proximity of several very tall, mature deciduous trees still in full leaf to the corner of the block in which my flat is situated. The geology is soft London clay around here, constituting the escarpment we are on the edge of. I try and comfort myself with the thought that if these trees survived the 1987 storm then they must surely do so this one.
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 27-10-13, 18:43. Reason: spellings

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      POST OF THE MONTH!!!!!!

Bit dicey mind...

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
        I see that Southern Railway have decided they're not even going to attempt to run any service at all before 9am at the earliest tomorrow morning because of potential hazards on the lines.

Is this the first time trains have been cancelled because of the wrong kind of weather forecast?
        Kent and the Southern Region used to cancel trains every week or two in the winter, blaming the wrong kind of everything.

We had to bus to Woolwich,once or twice to pick up acrowded train from goodness knows where.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Bit dicey mind...
          ....don't worry I put up the bracket and I've got the attachments hanging on the wall till kneaded....
          bong ching

Comment

• Anna

I've just watched the BBC 6pm news - it's not often the headlines focus on S. Wales - however the first item was a live report from Cardiff Bay where (evidently) the storm is to hit first. I've been outside, there is not a breath of wind and nary a raindrop. So, is this all hyperbole and hysteria or am I likely to vanish under the crushing weight of rain and falling trees?

If I don't appear tomorrow can everyone have Welsh Rarebit with added leeks for dinner tomorrow In Memoriam?

Comment

• Mr Pee
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              I've just watched the BBC 6pm news - it's not often the headlines focus on S. Wales - however the first item was a live report from Cardiff Bay where (evidently) the storm is to hit first. I've been outside, there is not a breath of wind and nary a raindrop. So, is this all hyperbole and hysteria or am I likely to vanish under the crushing weight of rain and falling trees?

If I don't appear tomorrow can everyone have Welsh Rarebit with added leeks for dinner tomorrow In Memoriam?
              Presumably you have heard the phrase "The calm before the storm....."
              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Zucchini
                • Nov 2010

Don't people outside this forum make lots of extra babies when there's a big storm - especially if they're stuck in a lift because of a power cut?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                  Presumably you have heard the phrase "The calm before the storm....."
                  It is more than a truism! It's rather too complicated to go into reasons, but there was a similar drop of winds before the 1987 storm too.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                    Don't people outside this forum make lots of extra babies when there's a big storm - especially if they're stuck in a lift because of a power cut?

Not in my experience...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

It could never compare with The Great Storm in Dibley in the 1950's.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Looking closely at the isobaric map on the BBC Weather website I can't see why this should be more than a gale, possibly a severe one in some places. 972 isn't all that low really. (Netherlands might get in in the neck though.) But a 1987-style faux-hurricane? The 24-hour news & media love getting excited about these things. And as for Health & Safety... RNLI declared today that we should "keep safe, and not go down to the sea to look at the big waves"..

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Will this wind be so mighty, as to lay low the mountains of the earth thereof ?

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                            Will this wind be so mighty, as to lay low the mountains of the earth thereof ?
                            isn't the "Therof" superfluous ?

everything cancelled down here. Trains resuming after Pentecost.............
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              Looking closely at the isobaric map on the BBC Weather website I can't see why this should be more than a gale, possibly a severe one in some places. 972 isn't all that low really. (Netherlands might get in in the neck though.) But a 1987-style faux-hurricane? The 24-hour news & media love getting excited about these things. And as for Health & Safety... RNLI declared today that we should "keep safe, and not go down to the sea to look at the big waves"..
                              I happened to be in Holland at the time of some big storms in about 2002 ish.
                              All predicted, but our genial (well he was Dutch) host assured us that all was always well in Holland, and that public transport never failed, in any weather.
                              Well , we made our way from Amsterdam to Utrect for a nice footy game, the wind started to get up. The game was postponed, and the trains all cancelled !!

got a refund on our train tickets easy as winking though !!
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                                If only...
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X