Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

A very dark gloomy day. Tippling it down this morning but now dry and windy.

'Brummie Simon's' blog is spot on. The weather stories in the Express are laughable and just incite fear into the gullible

"The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Anna

And leading on from Simon's blog I decided to check out the credentials of Derek Brockway, our local forecaster. A link led me to his Twitter page where he has had conversations with Simon Keeling about the Express and Simon has put a link to an article by George Monbiot (admittedly it was written last year) about who these rogue forecasters are. Very interesting reading.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Hadn't realised that BBM, nothing on the BBC webnews as yet, but I know in September at the Birmingham Symphony Hall Tredegar Town Band took first prize of the British Open Brass Band Championship and the Cory Band from Ton Pentre in the Rhondda was placed second in a contest that saw the Welsh duo thrash the competition. There would have been singing in the Valleys last night, as opposed to 8obs singing in the morning to the hounds!

Chucked it down yesterday evening, today is steady light rain, around 11.5° I used to do yoga quite religiously, very good for bad backs, perhaps I'll get back into it, certainly keeps you supple. (Elderly friend of mine, in his 80s, used to start the day with it plus standing on his head)
        The Welsh bands are doing rather well, these days, Anna. I think a New Order seems to be taking place. Also Grimethorpe Colliery under Weslhman Robert Childs came 4th! Rob's brother Nick(who conducts Black Dyke Band, conducted a band from Coirnwall Woodfalls, and they came 6th! So all in all a very good day for the Welsh!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
          The Welsh bands are doing rather well, these days, Anna. I think a New Order seems to be taking place
          There was a piece on BBC Wales about the Tredegar Town Band in which their maestro said the average age of players was 23-24, and brass band playing is now for young people - perhaps this is playing a part in The Welsh Revival?

Well, it's been a dismal day so far, I have only ventured outside to put the recycling for collection, just listened to the wonderful CE from Westminster Cathedral, (no-one does it better imo), and I have something tasty starting to simmer on the hob .... Ho Hum, winter drawers on and all that!

Comment

• amateur51

There was a piece on BBC Wales about the Tredegar Town Band in which their maestro said the average age of players was 23-24, and brass band playing is now for young people - perhaps this is playing a part in The Welsh Revival?

Well, it's been a dismal day so far, I have only ventured outside to put the recycling for collection, just listened to the wonderful CE from Westminster Cathedral, (no-one does it better imo), and I have something tasty starting to simmer on the hob .... Ho Hum, winter drawers on and all that!
            The first round of applications to Good Causes fund of The National Lottery was inundated with modest requests from Brass and Marching Bands for funding for new uniforms and instruments principally because thety wanted to attract more younger members. This was in 1995 (18 years ago) so it looks like the investment made then may be paying off now, in Wales at least

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

And leading on from Simon's blog I decided to check out the credentials of Derek Brockway, our local forecaster. A link led me to his Twitter page where he has had conversations with Simon Keeling about the Express and Simon has put a link to an article by George Monbiot (admittedly it was written last year) about who these rogue forecasters are. Very interesting reading.
              http://www.theguardian.com/environme...onathan-powell
              Thanks for that link, Anna. My father has taken the Daily Express for very many years and these forecasts have long been a source of merriment. The article yesterday forecasting the worst winter for decades was just plain irresponsible written in Armageddon language and probably no more accurate than all the other forecasts.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Well, one of the professors at the Welsh College of Music(correct title), said, it could be the result of the Welsh College graudates that are filling up the positions in Welsh bands?
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

It looks likely to get a bit warmer over the next few days, following nearly a week of subnormal temperatures; but for that we shall have to pay with quite windy conditions and a lot of rain. I had been quite worried about this coming Friday, noting some similarilty with the situation on October 27 1987, the day of Mike Fish's famous non-event-to-come, as he thought; but it now looks as if the clash of airstreams, between the mild one and colder air sweeping round the rear of the deep low expected west of Ireland, will arrange itself in a succession of steps, namely rain belts moving east across us, rather than in one out-of-control secondary low along a single trailing front. So, we can be relieved that it will just mean bad weather!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    It looks likely to get a bit warmer over the next few days, following nearly a week of subnormal temperatures; but for that we shall have to pay with quite windy conditions and a lot of rain. I had been quite worried about this coming Friday, noting some similarilty with the situation on October 27 1987, the day of Mike Fish's famous non-event-to-come, as he thought; but it now looks as if the clash of airstreams, between the mild one and colder air sweeping round the rear of the deep low expected west of Ireland, will arrange itself in a succession of steps, namely rain belts moving east across us, rather than in one out-of-control secondary low along a single trailing front. So, we can be relieved that it will just mean bad weather!
                    After yesterday afternoon's big freeze (ok it wasn't actually freezing but it was jolly cold ) some warmer if wet weather will be most welcome. Today started grey & dull , but we've had a touch of brightness since 14:00 and no rain since last night.

I'm looking forward to those lovely apricot Autumnal skies against pale blue at the day's end

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

Yes Am51....isn't pollution beautiful....
                      bong ching

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Is it really 26 years since the near Hurricane S_A. So many things I'll never forget about that event.

An Arboretum in Surrey, hundreds of trees in straight rows on the ground. Seen from slightly above an amazing sight.

The local trees that lined our streets skating down the middle of the roads in the night, emitting a whining sound.

It was a scary time for those that remember it. Oh yes, I know worse things happen abroad.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                          Yes Am51....isn't pollution beautiful....

Comment

• Anna

I remember 1987 - not because it had any impact here but about a month later, travelling by road to visit family in East Sussex, seeing first hand the devastation and hundreds of trees just lying, not one standing. Something that stays in the memory. Are you near Sevonoaks saly, they lost six of them I think.

Today has been very good, apart from being chilly at 8am (4°) and an exceptionally thick mist with extremely poor visibility which took a long time to burn off, it turned into a very warm (15.7°) day, beautiful blue sky and sunshine all the way. Not much chance of an apricot sunset though as cloud now building in the West.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Been a lovely day today. Yes, i9 cannot believe it's 26 years now. Well, I can, my son is 26 yrs old!
                              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• marthe

It's been a lovely day here in Newport, RI as well BBM. Sorry I've been absent for a while and thought I should check lest I be considered a missing person. Life's been busy at work and home. October is cruise ship month here in Newport so it's all hands on deck at work to cope with floods of visitors. I hope all is well with the FoR3. Saly, the HH is barbecuing steak tips at the moment. Sadly for him, his MG is in the garage at the moment and in need of a few bits and pieces before it becomes roadworthy again.

Comment

Working...
                                X