Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    I've been watching Queen's Club for the tennis final. So far just Sue Barker rabbiting on, [sorry, Sue] but no tennis at all.

They bought the match forward to beat the rain but the rain has triumphed so far.

Not a good outlook for Wimbledon it seems.
    Could be worse, salymap - if rain & Sue B are about, can Sir Cliff be far away?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Well now, it appears that we are probably in for 3 or so days of stifling, thundery weather down here in the Home Counties, according to today's week-long forecast on BBC 1 at 12.15
      I think the BBC weather department is being staffed by summer interns at the moment, certainly as regards the online page. The forecast this weekend when I got back yesterday was for rain today and tomorrow... By later last night, this had changed to dry predictions from last night to Thursday - I noted, as the rain pelted down outside last night. And as saly says, it's been a wet Sunday so far here
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Well here rain stopped play as well.
        By which I mean my projected digging and weeding has been rained off since mid-morning. Low cloud, not a breath of wind to move things along, and a steady drip, drip, drip, from the heavens. I'm really frustrated by lack of progress. The BBC online forecast for here says Monday to Thursday - grey cloud, coupled of isolated showers, which will be ok given the light evenings offer the prospect of late-night gardening ...... <roll eyes emoticon>

S_A, in your reply to Brummie Simon you pinched my Attenborough/polar bear argument!!

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Not too bad a day here at all really. Light wind, sunny spells and temperature at around 18 degrees. It's looked a touch threatening at times but remained dry thus far. BBC forecast for here tomorrow looks pretty good.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            Well here rain stopped play as well.
            By which I mean my projected digging and weeding has been rained off since mid-morning. Low cloud, not a breath of wind to move things along, and a steady drip, drip, drip, from the heavens. I'm really frustrated by lack of progress. The BBC online forecast for here says Monday to Thursday - grey cloud, coupled of isolated showers, which will be ok given the light evenings offer the prospect of late-night gardening ...... <roll eyes emoticon>

S_A, in your reply to Brummie Simon you pinched my Attenborough/polar bear argument!!
            Completely off topic but I read somewhere today that David A has just had a pacemaker fitted.

Good luck and good health Sir.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by salymap View Post
              Completely off topic but I read somewhere today that David A has just had a pacemaker fitted. Good luck and good health Sir.
              Bless him, he's a marvel, we have learned so much from him, but at the age of 87 - that's rather late to have a pacemaker fitted! Best wishes to him.

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              BBC forecast for here tomorrow looks pretty good.
              I've been relying on the BBC as the Met Office site seems to have become totally unusable. Slow to load, once it saved my location, now I have to enter it two or three times for it to load.
              I've just got it to and clicked on 'Climate' for where I am. It says 'The climate is stable, air quality is good, so lichen on roofs and rust on roses is a problem but the region only experiences small, occasional, earthquakes' No, it didn't, I just made that up!! Someone on here, cannot remember who, but because he has a private pilots licence and needed to know about winds, used to swear by XCWeather.co.uk(?) for real accuracy.

However, I can report my barometer has risen and I think I've planted magic beans as they've grown inches overnight! And you can tell, this weather is getting me down and I am acting frivolous, I still have that big smiley sun promised by Simon on my calendar for next Friday 20th and the following 10 days ......

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                • Mar 2013

When asked why the sun has not been shining, she is reputed to have said: I would prefer not to.

Ah, Anna! Ah, humanity!
                It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Sorry Anna - should have said. If I remember you in my will, will that be enough?

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                    • Mar 2013

As so often on this thread, one is inclined to say 'Get a room'.

The 'Stormy Weather' is actually a Mills & Boon rainstorm in which the star-crossed lovers get drenched as a prelude to [X-rated content]

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Sorry Anna - should have said. If I remember you in my will, will that be enough?
                      Possibly, depends on what the rememberences involve - stocks, shares, diamonds, - or, no, I'll settle for beautiful memories of cloud formations shared and that you taught me about Katabatic winds and hoar frost. Actually, to be honest, any spare cash you have would come in handy!

We shall ignore Thropplenoggin, I doubt if he has the luxury of a barometer to hand or even, an outdoor thermometer!!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                        • Mar 2013

Possibly, depends on what the rememberences involve - stocks, shares, diamonds, - or, no, I'll settle for beautiful memories of cloud formations shared and that you taught me about Katabatic winds and hoar frost. Actually, to be honest, any spare cash you have would come in handy!

We shall ignore Thropplenoggin, I doubt if he has the luxury of a barometer to hand or even, an outdoor thermometer!!
                        Business as usual, then.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                          Business as usual, then.
                          Oh No. I wouldn't really ignore you, I love your altar-ego, now what is it - a Bosh Monger? Always on the case of the obscure word of phrase. You are quite unique, in so many ways.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                            • Mar 2013

Oh No. I wouldn't really ignore you, I love your altar-ego, now what is it - a Bosh Monger? Always on the case of the obscure word of phrase. You are quite unique, in so many ways.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              Not too bad a day here at all really. Light wind, sunny spells and temperature at around 18 degrees. It's looked a touch threatening at times but remained dry thus far. BBC forecast for here tomorrow looks pretty good.
                              Pretty much the same here,thought I was risking a soaking when I walked the dog this afternoon but the threatened rain never arrived.
                              Lovely sunny evening now,feels very warm.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                                thought I was risking a soaking when I walked the dog this afternoon
                                Rob, does your dog (I think you said he is elderly) enjoy these walks or does he (with resigned expression), go along for 4 mile hikes to please you, his master? What sort of breed is he?
                                (I have never been a dog-owner, I like the thought of 8thObs scruffy lurchers)

Comment

Working...
                                X