X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I may be the only person on these MBs who is interested in the history of British orchestras, but I shouldn't think so. I received today a fascinating book on 100 years of the LSO,1904-2004. Full of pix, interesting details and paper-back, reduced to £3.99. I shall need a magnifying glass to read it but so what.Also a DVD on the 50yeara of the RPO at not much more.

What a murky wet day in the SE/Kent. It can only get better.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      I received today a fascinating book on 100 years of the LSO,1904-2004.
      Is that the book by Richard Morrison? If so, it's an excellent read.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I may be the only person on these MBs who is interested in the history of British orchestras, but I shouldn't think so. I received today a fascinating book on 100 years of the LSO,1904-2004. .
        Indeed you are not, saly! I bought it when it first came out, and very good it is too. some hilarious anecdotes. I wrote to Fabers at the time to point out that there was a rather unfortunate omission from the index - John Georgiadis, no less - and received a very nice letter from the Music Books Editor saying it would be put right in future editions.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

BTW, I've just dug out the review from the Sunday Times, by David Cairns - in an otherwise favourable review he does remark that "Morrison, for some reason, has his knife into Beecham.....His animus is such that he gets many of his facts badly wrong".

Comment

• Uncle Monty

Hello anton dear, I though you had gone on your travels again. Ihope KCll is still around and has noted that Sibelius is the next Composer of the week. And on Friday it says, 'Ending with a vintage performance of the finale from Sibelius's great 5th symphony, recorded by MS and the BBCSO just months after the composer's death.' I just wish they were playing it ALL. Lots of people,including Hornspieler, thought he was a very good Sibelian. So there. saly
            Not that I mind, but the Sibelius CotW is a week of repeats.

Comment

• Uncle Monty

I may be the only person on these MBs who is interested in the history of British orchestras, but I shouldn't think so. I received today a fascinating book on 100 years of the LSO,1904-2004. Full of pix, interesting details and paper-back, reduced to £3.99. I shall need a magnifying glass to read it but so what.Also a DVD on the 50yeara of the RPO at not much more. .
              I have the LSO book (and the one brought out in the 70s) but I used to have one about the LPO, published in the mid 1990s and made up of interviews with the orchestra members, so recklessly indiscreet that you wonder (i) whether they were allowed to read the thing before it was published, and (ii) how they kept their jobs and/or marriages afterwards! I'm racking my brains to try and remember what it was called: I just had a look on Amazon, but to no avail. I'll be back if it comes to mind. Their view of their then conductor Franz Welser-Most is uniformly contemptuous: I don't think he lasted very long

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Yes it's the LSO book by Richard Morrison. I still dip into the 50 years book up to 1954 by Hubert Foss and Noel Goodwin. I love the rehearsal sketches in that book as I was one ofthe'students' at the Sargent rehearsals described. Flash Harry hasn't come off too well in the latest book though

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Uncle Monty, I didn't read the LPO book but I read a review of it and know what you mean. They had some extremely naughty parties when on tour which were described in great detail. I asked an orchestral player om the old MBs, who deputised sometimes inthe LPO,if he had attended them but he wisely refused to comment.

Comment

• Mahlerei

Morning all

Very mild here in Kent, but still a bit grey. Feel sorry for all those affected by floods in Oz, Sri Lanka and now Brazil

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Morning mahlerei and others, yes the news is so awful, as it always seems to be at this time of year. Murders,floods, earthquakes, everything. And most ofthe Ozzies live in single story homes of course.
                      Postman has just left me a flyer saying British Gas boilers have been reduced,this adds insult to injury as awaited post didn't come. Have a nice day, all.

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Wet, cold and miserable, well,not really cold but certainly miserable. Morning stormyweatherites, any weather reports from you to keep on topic? Thread seems tobe fading away? Any cheerful stories on anything?

Comment

• amateur51

Wet, cold and miserable, well,not really cold but certainly miserable. Morning stormyweatherites, any weather reports from you to keep on topic? Thread seems tobe fading away? Any cheerful stories on anything?
                          Grey, mild, blowy & mercifully dry here in NW2 but that will change, no doubt. Off to the Royal Academy of Music in Marylebone Road for one of their splendid free lunchtime concerts today, music theatre today so I'm expecting some Sondheim.

Have you had any thoughts about my proposed Penguin Music Mag/kippers swap, saly?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

just been chatting to a chum in Hong Kong where it is unseasonably cold, and there are no heating facilities in practically all the main buildings .... teeth chattering in three sweaters ...

No 1 son in the north east of USA at -12C but chum in Phoenix boasting of 71F at 730 in the morning .....

and in the middle kingdom that peculiar combination of wet dark mild that is forever England eh

...and floods all over the place, flocks of birds dropping dead from the sky, it's getting biblical ...
                            Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 14-01-11, 11:04. Reason: typo
                            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Yes I think salymap in this world of now weird weather we really must keep this thread alive. Coming through, almost, the length of England on a train yesterday one was struck by the level of, not floods, but surface water where none existed before. Has WAM gone yet?

Comment

• Mahlerei

Mild and grey, but dry. As ever, buns a-snooze in their warm hay. I'm fiddling with a new Blu-ray player bought on a sale. Will have to seek an online manual as printed one way too difficult to read. Sigh.

Sal

Take it the postie hasn't delivered?

Comment

Working...
                                X