X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

The jolly is going to be very Jolly, Cali!!

I have around fifty Black Dyke band cds!! I am glad Radio 3 are at last promoting brass bands and bands in general more. if it isn only the good Petroc doing it!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      I like a brass band now and again, and also, I am very partial to a Military Band

Made my evening, that has!

"...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

I expect the Shepherd Neame to be flowing in abundance!!
        A bun dance; I must try that one day!

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

I must admit, I had to look twice at Anna's post there! Made me chuckle!
          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            I must admit, I had to look twice at Anna's post there! Made me chuckle!
            Abundance. A great or plentiful amount. Have I spelt it wrong - I don't think so!
            As for Cali and military bands, when the Welsh Regiment were here, being given the Freedom, ooh, I absolutely melted, I have some lovely photos of the trombone section ......

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

The Welsh Guards were recently given the 'Freedom' fpr Aber....
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                The Welsh Guards were recently given the 'Freedom' fpr Aber....
                ? The Welsh Guards, or any Welsh Regiment, basically are given the Freedom anywhere in Wales! It's an excuse for a bit of flag-waving, singing, and petting of the Regimental Goat, whose attire is totally amazing, horns encased in sterling silver and a silver nose plate, plus medals. One Welsh goat mascot misbehaved and had a Court Martial! He spent a long time in detention before being restored to the Regiment on a promise of good behaviour.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

As for Cali and military bands, when the Welsh Regiment were here, being given the Freedom, ooh, I absolutely melted, I have some lovely photos of the trombone section ......
                  I've never heard it called that before!!!!!!

So many other comments queuing up in my head but I must exercise restraint

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    I've never heard it called that before!!!!!!
                    So many other comments queuing up in my head but I must exercise restraint
                    Yes, well, you would have, wouldn't you? Have comments of a dubious nature?
                    To get back to goats (why not, it's Friday night!) and in Wales we take our goat regimental mascots seriously.

William Windsor the goat, lance corporal in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, was demoted to fusilier in 2006 after being court-martialled on charges of "unacceptable behaviour", "lack of decorum" and "disobeying a direct order" at the Queen's 80th birthday celebrations in 2006.

That meant that the rank and file no longer had to stand to attention when he walked past. He was subsequently reinstated after three months, regaining his membership of the corporals' mess - much to the chagrin, no doubt, of the various humans who had been seeking promotion.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

William Windsor the goat, lance corporal in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, was demoted to fusilier in 2006 after being court-martialled on charges of "unacceptable behaviour", "lack of decorum" and "disobeying a direct order" at the Queen's 80th birthday celebrations in 2006.
                      I never understood why they were sometimes called the Royal Welch Fusiliers. Probably a long-established trypo?

I like this detail from wiki :

"As with the Royal Regiment of Wales, the regiment has traditionally had a goat, never called a mascot. The tradition dates from at least 1775, and possibly from the regiment's formation. The goat is given full honours of a corporal by all ranks and attended to by the Goat Major. The goat is the only serving member of the Armed Forces which is still entitled to the cigarette ration as it is good for his digestion. The goat is always named 'Billy' and the current goat has been recruited from Snowdon."
                      Last edited by vinteuil; 24-05-13, 19:41.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Yes, well, you would have, wouldn't you? Have comments of a dubious nature?
                        (why not, it's Friday night!)
                        Quite! And the eve of a bank holiday weekend! Some pier-end Kiss-Me-Quick sauciness is surely in order! Shall there be no more cakes and ale?

Meanwhile: back with the goats...

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          I never understood why they were called the Royal Welch Fusiliers. Probably a long-established trypo?

I like this detail from wiki :

"As with the Royal Regiment of Wales, the regiment has traditionally had a goat, never called a mascot. The tradition dates from at least 1775, and possibly from the regiment's formation. The goat is given full honours of a corporal by all ranks and attended to by the Goat Major. The goat is the only serving member of the Armed Forces which is still entitled to the cigarette ration as it is good for his digestion. The goat is always named 'Billy' and the current goat has been recruited from Snowdon."
                          It was one of the oldest regiments in the regular army, hence the archaic spelling of the word Welch instead of Welsh. The goats still have a ration of two fags a day (to be chewed) nor inhaled.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            Quite! And the eve of a bank holiday weekend! Some pier-end Kiss-Me-Quick sauciness is surely in order!
                            OMG, If only, if only .... I'd kiss you quick and snatch your candyfloss and then flirt outrageously with the greasy boys from The Dodgems, their dirty fingers smelling of cigarettes .....
                            edit: I'm off now for a while, just as well
                            Last edited by Guest; 24-05-13, 20:04.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Two beers and going rather nicel;y!
                              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

OMG, If only, if only .... I'd kiss you quick and snatch your candyfloss and then flirt outrageously with the greasy boys from The Dodgems, their dirty fingers smelling of cigarettes .....

Comment

Working...
                                X