X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Cold and wet again here. Heating back on. Those forecasts of a May drought look more laughable by the day.
    Same here,just about to walk the dog too

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I am going to moan, I get a bad headache [neuralgia] even indoors when it's as windy as this -not to mention backache [sacro injury].

I have a lot to be thankful for, nice call from Oz, washing done, quite nice lunch, etc. I shan't feel good until this ****** weather warms up - must remember not to grumble about the heat.

Lucky you Anna,wish I could sleep like that.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Terrible day today - Anna's right about bad luck coming in threes!

First of all. my record player wouldn't play: repaired that - dodgy connection.
        Then a puncture delayed my trip to the street fair in E Dulwich.
        By the time I'd repaired that, the street fair was over.
        Then I discovered that a squirrel had left its visiting card on my washing!

Never mind: the new tenant upstairs seems very nice, and says she'll take some of the offspring of my ever-proliferating spider plants!

Mangerton's photo was a lovely surprise! I've always had an interest in what is now known as the California Monsoon season, when spectacular thunderstorms bring life to the arid desert areas. Yesterday I found this amazing youtube footage - someone should get it broadcast on telly; for a pleasant escape from our drab grey skies follow the sequence and I think you'll be stunned by the natural beauty of that part of the world.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I was totally absorbed all yesterday evening.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

That's a;right then. Horrible weather down here. I do hope it's not goiung to be another damp squib this year!!!! Odin's been a naughty boy!!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            I've embarrassed myself (since deleted) by confessing to a crush on a guy who works at Waitrose.
            Hadn't noticed you'd deleted it, Anna... It was worth it for S_A's 'twinkle' line (I'm glad I decided against a couple of telescope gags, hearing about the stargazing enthusiasm )
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

A rather famous brass band conbductor, yesterday made a right gafff about Wigan winning the FA cup final at a concert yesterday, and saw the audience's reaction and he realised then, what a gaf he made!(They probably didnt want to kinow the rresult, as they were recording the aforesaid match!!)
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Never mind: the new tenant upstairs seems very nice, and says she'll take some of the offspring of my ever-proliferating spider plants!
                I'd wanted a spider plant for years, they are so retro, but I couldn't find anywhere that stocked them. I then found one in the local cancer research shop (they do occasional potted plants) and it's now in need of repotting. They are fantastic plants for cleansing the atmosphere it seems and absorb all nasty things like carbon monoxide and cooking smells. I wish I'd known you had spare offspring, you could have sent them to me in a jiffybag!
                Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Hadn't noticed you'd deleted it, Anna... It was worth it for S_A's 'twinkle' line (I'm glad I decided against a couple of telescope gags, hearing about the stargazing enthusiasm )
                It's not often you meet such a charming, attractive man who is really so enthusiastic about comets, stars and skies is it? Apart from mangerton and S_A of course! However, being a John Lewis employee - it's his job, you know, to be charming and handsome.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

However, being a John Lewis employee - it's his job, you know, to be charming and handsome.
                  ... a John Lewis Partner if you please, Anna. You won't stand a chance with him if you call him an employee...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    ... a John Lewis Partner if you please, Anna. You won't stand a chance with him if you call him an employee...

Sounds too much like inviting divided loyalties to me, vints - unless one is into troilism, of course.

Comment

• Anna

OK, that's enough! I shall post no more about my John Lewis themed fantasies - but thanks for cheering me up guys whilst I was feeling really down today. You are both rather sweet.

Ontopic: Still dismal weather but a stray ray of sunshine has just broken through!

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

... all sorts of weather today. But this morning was lovely - cool, but brilliant sunshine. In the Chilterns, on the uplands between Stokenchurch and Christmas Common the woodland floor a sea of bluebells - marvellous. Driving back to London, increasing cloud of various kinds; wind, rain, not nice; central heating put back on....

Comment

• salymap
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

OK, that's enough! I shall post no more about my John Lewis themed fantasies - but thanks for cheering me up guys whilst I was feeling really down today. You are both rather sweet.

Ontopic: Still dismal weather but a stray ray of sunshine has just broken through!

It's a day for feeling down Anna.

I can't get to John Lewis now but can boast the handssome member of staff st the local Co-op who has twice produced a little bluepaper towel and mopped the blood from my cut finger.

I probably remind him of his gran, or something.

Comment

• mangerton
                            • Nov 2010

Nice photo mangerton, cannot remember the time we last had a decent lightning storm here, I would quite welcome one at the moment.
                            Oh dear, this weekend is turning into a disaster. After my insomnia on Friday night I seriously, seriously overslept (10.30am! ) this morning, by the time I'd got myself organised to go and tackle outside jobs - it had started raining (again). Plus my kettle keeps randomly switching itself on and off and I've embarrassed myself (since deleted) by confessing to a crush on a guy who works at Waitrose. At least my Greek casserole was a success, I take comfort in that.

To keep on topic. It's a miserable, chilly, grey, 9.8° and more of the same to come it seems until the end of the month. Any predictions for best time to book holiday in North of England?
                            I'm glad you liked the photo - thank you. I've just caught up with your tale of woe and all the remarks you've had to endure.

Still, look on the bright side. You slept till 10.30 am, so it looks as if your bout of insomnia is over, and if you have to sleep in, Sunday is probably the best day to do it. I'd be happy to have a look at your kettle - I'm quite good with electrical things - but prohibitive carriage costs mean you'd be cheaper to buy a new one, I imagine.

And as you say, your casseroled Greek was a success, and it's just the weather for it. I've just had cold chicken and home made potato salad, and I'm freezing to death here. I'm sure I heard the word "blizzards" on the weather forecast at six o'clock.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                              I'd be happy to have a look at your kettle - I'm quite good with electrical things
                              Oh, that's nice of you, I guess a trip to Asda and a £5 outlay is the answer though
                              Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                              And as you say, your casseroled Greek was a success, and it's just the weather for it. I've just had cold chicken and home made potato salad, and I'm freezing to death here. I'm sure I heard the word "blizzards" on the weather forecast at six o'clock.
                              I didn't casserole a Greek!! I know their economy is in meltdown but ......... I draw the line at stewing them to save the Euro!! It's cold here as well, my feet are frozen, I must put on some socks, it's too early in the year to be barefoot.

Saly, the young man at the Co-Op sounds very caring - ask him if wants to be adopted!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                the uplands between Stokenchurch and Christmas Common the woodland floor a sea of bluebells - marvellous
                                I shall be there on Thursday... I hope the bluebells will survive till then...
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X