X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post

She loves cleaning taps though and spends ages on them but I don't want tolose her.
    ....that's good, ....in case you go all OCD on us....
    bong ching

Comment

• amateur51

Yes I agree about jobs that are high up, they get higher as one gets older. Family found me a very nice private cleaner, she is a gem but.....she is about 4ft 10inches, wears sandels and I daren't ask her to change curtains, clean win dows, or, as I used to, clean the pictures rails and skirting boards.

She loves cleaning taps though and spends ages on them but I don't want tolose her.
      Oh taps is it?

And there was me worrying what a private cleaner might be

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Oh taps is it?

And there was me worrying what a private cleaner might be
        I sounds as though your dirty mind needs a wash with something dear ams

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

I sounds as though your dirty mind needs a wash with something dear ams
          My thought precisely!

I know what you mean about cleaners too, saly.

I have a Portuguese woman (shhhhh, Ams!!)... she's been brilliantly reliable for over 10 years, but is a small lady... Everything under the height of 5 feet is wonderfully cleaned... but when I had some decorations done in the shower room lately, the decorator revealed a sorry tale of high level grime

Note to self: buy robust little step ladder....
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            I have a Portuguese woman (shhhhh, Ams!!)... she's been brilliantly reliable for over 10 years, but is a small lady... Note to self: buy robust little step ladder....
            Or, Dear Caliban, stretch yourself up to your full height, get out the feather duster, put on a pinny and do it yourself!
            On topic, rain set in midday until mid-afternoon, now is steady rain. Wales have decided to close the roof (England requested it, we kept them waiting for an answer! ) All our street lamps were changed today from traditional orange (sodium) to white. Not sure if this is energy saving or to cut down on light pollution?

Comment

• JFLL
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              On topic, rain set in midday until mid-afternoon, now is steady rain.
              But not too far north of you, Anna, a very dramatic, almost Turneresque scene driving back from Yarborough House in Bishops Castle back to N. Herefords. Lowering clouds and a film of rain to the west, with the sun still shining away beneath it, then, coming through Lydbury North, a miraculous rainbow that one felt one could almost touch. What one misses in the old metrop.

(Quite a good haul from Yarborough, btw: Clifford Curzon Decca Recordings vol 4, Brahms Piano Quartet op. 25 orch. Schoenberg + Handel Variations orch. Rubbra (N. Järvi), and Mozart String Quartets K387/421 with the Leipzig SQ. I'd have probably bought more if the cat hadn't been sprawled all over the Bs for Beethoven etc. and I hadn't the heart to move him ... )

Comment

• mangerton
                • Nov 2010

Or, Dear Caliban, stretch yourself up to your full height, get out the feather duster, put on a pinny and do it yourself!
                On topic, rain set in midday until mid-afternoon, now is steady rain. Wales have decided to close the roof (England requested it, we kept them waiting for an answer! ) All our street lamps were changed today from traditional orange (sodium) to white. Not sure if this is energy saving or to cut down on light pollution?
                Yes, these are both basically the reasons. White LED street lights do provide a c 40% cost saving apparently, and much better rendition of colours. They are designed differently to cast their light downwards, meaning less sky leakage and energy wastage, so that is good news for sky watchers and rate payers.

Much of the light provided by low pressure (yellow) sodium street lamps leaked upwards which was bad news for astronomers. However because sodium lamps emit light on only two dominant spectral lines, it is much easier to filter out, which is good news for astronomers.

You pays your money and you takes your choice, but white lights do now appear to be in favour.

(Caliban with a feather duster and wearing a pinny? Now there's an image. )

Seriously, we should all, especially the less young amongst us, be aware of this.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
                  But not too far north of you, Anna, a very dramatic, almost Turneresque scene driving back from Yarborough House in Bishops Castle back to N. Herefords. Lowering clouds and a film of rain to the west, with the sun still shining away beneath it, then, coming through Lydbury North, a miraculous rainbow that one felt one could almost touch. What one misses in the old metrop.

(Quite a good haul from Yarborough, btw: Clifford Curzon Decca Recordings vol 4, Brahms Piano Quartet op. 25 orch. Schoenberg + Handel Variations orch. Rubbra (N. Järvi), and Mozart String Quartets K387/421 with the Leipzig SQ. I'd have probably bought more if the cat hadn't been sprawled all over the Bs for Beethoven etc. and I hadn't the heart to move him ... )
                  Many thanks for this JFLL - it brought back memories of many happy hours at Yarborough House & Bishop's Castle's pub in days gone by - I have many CDs with their distinctive price label on (The Coull quartet in Mendelssohn being a particular favourite) and I laughed out loud when you mentioned the cat

Comment

• JFLL
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    Many thanks for this JFLL - it brought back memories of many happy hours at Yarborough House & Bishop's Castle's pub in days gone by - I have many CDs with their distinctive price label on (The Coull quartet in Mendelssohn being a particular favourite) and I laughed out loud when you mentioned the cat
                    Yes, Ams, a fine shop -- and the CD stock seemed to have been expanded since I last went a few years ago. I only allowed an hour, unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately for my bank balance). I recently acquired the Coull Mendelssohn set as a FLAC download from Hyperion. Pretty good IMO, especially the two I like best, opp. 12 & 13.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

I thought I might see the comet last night, unfort' the only part of the sky clouded up was the bit I needed to look in....grey and warm in Airedale....
                      bong ching

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

All our street lamps were changed today from traditional orange (sodium) to white. Not sure if this is energy saving or to cut down on light pollution?
                        My father, an artist, loathed the sodium lighting when it was introduced into our part of Wiltshire, in the 1960s I think - for the effect that it has on colours. Julian Barnes notes (and in part deplores) this effect of sodium lighting in the opening and closing chapters of "Metroland".

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

it is wet here and the campanologists are making a few bob what with all the weddings etc ... so open doors and windows, temperature is mild, entails suffering the racket of the bells .....

after thirty years of living across the way from a church i would ban all marriages and other rituals requiring the banging of cracked cheapskate bells ...
                          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

How are allthe cough and cold sufferers getting on now? I have had a sore throat, loss of voice, now pain up to my ears. for nearly a month. I was given antibiotics a couple of weeks ago but they
                            didn't help. I know some have worse things but this is getting me down.
                            Anyway shall trot to the surgery again on Monday but we don't have a regular doc, just some good, some not so good, nurses.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Hi salymap!! I do hope you be getting better nsoon! These colds coughs soar throats, are rather a nightmare, to0 say the least! i have, thankfully, recovered from mine. Took three weeks!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

How are allthe cough and cold sufferers getting on now? I have had a sore throat, loss of voice, now pain up to my ears. for nearly a month. I was given antibiotics a couple of weeks ago but they
                                didn't help. I know some have worse things but this is getting me down.
                                Anyway shall trot to the surgery again on Monday but we don't have a regular doc, just some good, some not so good, nurses.
                                Sorry to hear this sals; my cold did a sort-of five-week diminuendo and it's almost (but not completely) gone now. Hope you get a good nurse, or, better still, one of those doctor-chappies you paid your NI contributions for.

Best Wishes.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X