X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Actually ams I've lost so much weight that my thick sweater could do with a bit more err. filling. I don't wear button up cardies either.

Off topic.visitor called for 20 minutes. Tomorrow is off as she is driving back to Hampshire tonight.

Idon't remember this hoo ha about warnings of different colours years ago.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      Actually ams I've lost so much weight that my thick sweater could do with a bit more err. filling. I don't wear button up cardies either.

Off topic.visitor called for 20 minutes. Tomorrow is off as she is driving back to Hampshire tonight.

Idon't remember this hoo ha about warnings of different colours years ago.
      Ah well, that's progress for you salymap. After all, it was only since yesterday that I've had to get my head around the idea of pony in my pasty!

I know that a beef mince pie is a Cottage Pie

And a lamb mince pie is a Shepherd's Pie

Any one for Jockey Pie? Or p'raps Farrier's Pie?
      Last edited by Guest; 17-01-13, 19:52. Reason: pies in all their splendour

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Ah well, that's progress for you salymap. After all, it was only since yesterday that I've had to get my head around the idea of pony in my pasty!
        There's a rather funny cartoon in the Telegraph on line. Little girl dressed in jodhpurs looks up as father holds out a packet of burgers saying, "You know you wanted a pony".

Comment

• amateur51

There's a rather funny cartoon in the Telegraph on line. Little girl dressed in jodhpurs looks up as father holds out a packet of burgers saying, "You know you wanted a pony".

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Yes, how are things in the Pit Heaps anton ? Very cold here today but non of the white stuff. It's saving it up for Friday here when a relative is driving from Hampshire.

The forecast seems to change every time I look at it.

Off topic -I see a relative of yours, Thomas Gould [vln],is playing in the concert tonight. You must be a very proud man
            Sorry a bit behind on these threads ......we have had a fair bit of snow earlier in the week and it is very cold ......we wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Snowing heavily here. Supposed to be going in to work by train tomorrow (as per usual). Looks like it could be an interesting day.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                Snowing heavily here. Supposed to be going in to work by train tomorrow (as per usual). Looks like it could be an interesting day.
                In my last job everyone but me lived upcountry so I was expected to get into the office come what may, so I have walked a mile through deep lying snow (until the ploughs move in where I am, on such a steep hill, with any depth of snow it's impossible to negotiate by car and the bus stops running) but although at the moment it would be possible to get out I'm very doubtful about getting back home again so I intend to go stay put and if I'm marooned for a few days, as long as the power remains on (!), I'll just have to make the most of it.

It was raining just after midnight, but not freezing at 3° and it's 1.1° now, not sure what time the snow started but it's coming down steadily in very fine, quite wet, flakes. The Police shut all the mountain roads last night, part of the M4 at Bridgend is already shut and lots of problems on minor roads of course. Edit: Just checked website and all bus services suspended.
                Last edited by Guest; 18-01-13, 08:59.

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

All the best Anna and everyone. Wales has the worst of it today, it seems, then it moves everywhere.

Sorry for drivers but particularly people waiting for trains that are very late or don't run. I'm glad to be free of that.

Comment

• Flay
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    In my last job everyone but me lived upcountry so I was expected to get into the office come what may, so I have walked a mile through deep lying snow
                    You are heroic, Anna, a dedicated employee fighting through howling blizzards... Today please snuggle up warm and listen to Tchaik 1

it's coming down steadily in very fine, quite wet, flakes. The Police shut all the mountain roads last night...
                    Is it the wrong type of slush?
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

Just put tv on to catch 8 o'clock news re snow - no satellite signal!! Never had that happen before when it's snowed(?) So I can't even snuggle up on the sofa and watch daytime telly - I'll be forced to listen to R3 all day Or do something useful, like housework .....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

I'll be forced to listen to R3 all day
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Just put tv on to catch 8 o'clock news re snow - no satellite signal!! Never had that happen before when it's snowed(?) So I can't even snuggle up on the sofa and watch daytime telly - I'll be forced to listen to R3 all day Or do something useful, like housework .....
                          Can I suggest catching up with yesterdays lunchtime concert.....pre blizzardage. Very Polish and midwintery !

Coming down hard here. Looks like a day at home with the paperwork for me.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Not a skerrick in the metrollopes... though very dark. Caliban shall risk his velocipede and shall see what may betide...

Keep warm all!

EDIT: in the six minutes since I wrote that there's been a powdering...
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Sydney Grew
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

To-day has been Sydney's hottest day in history: 45.8 degrees on the "Centigrade" scale.

(Well, history since the invasion of 1788.)
                              Last edited by Sydney Grew; 18-01-13, 10:11.

Comment

• mangerton
                                • Nov 2010

Not a smidgeon of snow here till an hour ago when it blizzed heavily for 10 mins. My car is now covered and will require clearing, but our well-treated roads are fine. Must go and shop before work. Working 12.30 - 8.00 today, so I hope the snow stays off.

Commiserations to all those affected by the weather, and the travelling difficulties. I shall be glued to BBC2 at 5.30 tomorrow for the reminder of how we coped 50 years ago. Meanwhile, South West Train's management should be ashamed of themselves, and I would draw their attention to this.

Comment

Working...
                                X