X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    pompey game postponed. best result they have had in months.

Great result for us too,we didn't play,full classified to follow.

Comment

• mangerton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      I feel embarrassed, the digi camera was an old cast off from my bro hence not quality photos, but the hoar/rime was extraodinary and I am so glad you enjoyed it! It is the most amazing frost exeperience I have ever encoutered.
      As others have said, two great photos, but the first is stunning.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
        As others have said, two great photos, but the first is stunning.
        ]Oh, maybe I should have submitted it to Country File and photoshopped a Stoat in the foreground?

When I returned home this moring I saw the same Heron standing by the river, gazing intently at the water. I wonder if he is the same Heron who always thinks this is a good spot for fishing or are there are a family of them, taking turns.

Comment

• mangerton
          • Nov 2010

]Oh, maybe I should have submitted it to Country File and photoshopped a Stoat in the foreground?

When I returned home this moring I saw the same Heron standing by the river, gazing intently at the water. I wonder if he is the same Heron who always thinks this is a good spot for fishing or are there are a family of them, taking turns.
          You could have done that; the danger is you might have accidentally added a weasel. Many people find it hard to tell the difference, which is strange, because..... (altogether now)

Weasels are weasily recognised, and stoats are stotally different.

Herons, otoh, look quite similar. I saw one in the borders a few years ago, in a field with some pigs. I got two pictures, not brilliant, which are somewhere in the archives. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

The phrase "photoshopping a Stoat" has for some reason really got under my skin! Love it!

Sounds like a euphemism...

"Hang on a sec, just going to photoshop the Stoat!"

Could mean anything...
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Could mean anything...
              And, with that merry thought. we shall wend our way up the stairs to Bedfordshire!

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

The phrase "photoshopping a Stoat" has for some reason really got under my skin! Love it!

Sounds like a euphemism...

Could mean anything...
                Another one. Years ago I read a novel by Pamela Frankeau where a character often said 'No time to play with the Giraffe' and for a time that caughton with me and my friends. I like Anna's version though

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Anna, that photo you too of the winter scene of your river looks stunning! How very surreal?
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

That photo of the winter scene anna is absolutely stunning! uote surreal.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• amateur51

It is the most amazing frost exeperience I have ever encoutered.
                      Fingers crossed this idea doesn't get a thread all of its own

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                        Another one. Years ago I read a novel by Pamela Frankeau where a character often said 'No time to play with the Giraffe' and for a time that caughton with me and my friends. I like Anna's version though

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Well the lunchtime prediction was for mostly light rain for here tomorrow, maybe turning sleety later. he main snow band is expected to come down from the NW on Monday evening. It should clear your area, Anna, then get stuck over the Home Counties on Monday night, fortunately as a weakening system by that stage, but we'll still be on the continental arctic air side of it here, which will seep over the rest of the country from Tuesday onwards.
                          Hello S_A and pleased to hear you're back in fighting aka pedalling form

Could I invoke your expertise?

Tomorrow, I am scheduled to make the following road trip:

11am approx leave London up the M1
                          2pm - 4pm: business in Nottingham
                          4pm - 5pm: drive up vi Newark to Lincoln
                          7pm - 10pm: drive back to London doubtless on the A1, maybe M1

Do you think I am likely to meet significant snow & ice related driving problems, according to your crystal balls, entrails etc?

Sorry to use you as a dial-a-forecast service!

Comment

• mangerton
                            • Nov 2010

As promised, or threatened, yesterday, here are my heron and pig photos. I was driving a few miles south of Hawick a few years ago, and saw the heron. I hurriedly stopped the car and grabbed the camera. Absolutely no pretensions to great photography, but I'd never seen a heron before.

OT: It's been snowing here in a very half-hearted fashion all day today, but nothing's lying. I have seen a few cars passing with an inch or two of snow on the roof, so I expect there's snow lying north of the city.

Comment

• Anna

Thanks mangerton, a heron making friends with a pig! The one that I see is always at the same place, where the river has the remains of the old leat to the mill but a friend of mine who goes fishing further upriver tells me that a heron is often there watching him. A couple of miles away is a substantial dwelling with an ornamental lake. I've been told a heron made off with some koi carp, whether that's true or not I don't know, I would have thought koi would be too big for a heron to cope with?

Offtopic, never heard of dropbox, presume it's like photobucket (which I have been having problems with today) so I'll take a look at it, Cali's suggestion of Imagur just refuses to work for me. It's nice to see peoples photos.

It's been brilliantly sunny from first light, although hazy. Cloud cover is quite high and temp dropping rapidly, just below 3° at present. If we get the snow it's supposed to arrive about 10pm but still forecast to turn to rain tomorrow. Fingers crossed it will. Meanwhile we await S_A's prognostications re Caliban's journey ......

Comment

• mercia
                                • Nov 2010

have to say, looking at the BBC forecast, Lincolnshire doesn't look too clever tomorrow snow-wise, particularly the afternoon

got the blanket, thermos and snow-shovel ready, our newly elevated host ?

Comment

Working...
                                X