• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Saly, do you know what? I got, from a relative, a box of chocolate covered brazil nuts!! <shock horror emoticon> My very, very, LEAST FAVOURITE!! And, no old boyfriends were forthcoming with any sort of goods of the edible kind!! You obviously have a better class of gentleman suitors! I would positively die for some dark covered marzipan now .....
    I thought, this afternoon, I might get mired in emotion (stop sniggering at the back you lot!) and watch Miracle on 34th Street.
    And my neighbours are away so I thought I could belt out the 'Deadwood Stage' at the top of my wavery old voice with no comeback. And err.he was a friend, n ot a suitor - he lived for motorbikes, I for music, but we met at school and remained pals.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      And my neighbours are away so I thought I could belt out the 'Deadwood Stage' at the top of my wavery old voice with no comeback. And err.he was a friend, n ot a suitor - he lived for motorbikes, I for music, but we met at school and remained pals.
      Oh, but lovely that he still remembers you Saly with such affection! He obviously thinks you are one special lady - as do we all

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Oh, but lovely that he still remembers you Saly with such affection! He obviously thinks you are one special lady - as do we all
        Ohn yes sure [big laff].
        Last edited by salymap; 26-12-12, 17:08.

Comment

• Anna

Ohn yes sure [big laff]. Ask HS or Anton....no don't. See drunk on a bar of chocolate.
          Actually saly, I think you're great. I hope I am rocking and rolling and being so sharp at your age. Do not hide your light under a bushel!
          I am now, finally, off to eat - at last!

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

I do expect a full and frank account of everyone's Christmas dinner in due course .....
            ... well, there was some jolly nice food involving various dead animals, and some rather splendid wines of various ages and colours. And then I fell asleep.

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I don't think I could have faced up to a Victorian Christmas table with, perhaps a pig's head with an apple it its' mouth and things like that.

Comment

• mangerton
                • Nov 2010

I don't think I could have faced up to a Victorian Christmas table with, perhaps a pig's head with an apple it its' mouth and things like that.
                (Sings) "The boar's head in hand bear I, bedecked with bays and rosemary".

Well, fortunately that didn't happen, saly, as I couldn't have faced up to it either. Those Victorians must have had strong stomachs.

However we did have all the things I mentioned the other day, and jolly good they were too. Shame about the spuds, though, as they were boiled slightly too long, and were therefore unroastable. Very careless of me. However with the addition of some butter and cream, they made excellent mash, and as only Miss m and I knew roast were intended, no-one was any the wiser.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                  Shame about the spuds, though, as they were boiled slightly too long, and were therefore unroastable. Very careless of me. However with the addition of some butter and cream, they made excellent mash, and as only Miss m and I knew roast were intended, no-one was any the wiser.
                  I confess, I too had mash yesterday, and today (through laziness) Potatoes with oodles of butter and cream are just beyond wondrous, comforting, and a beauty to behold .... the roast parsnips however were brilliant, they just get on with it with and do not complain. Not every root vegetable needs blasting with heat and crisping.
                  I am sure I have put on at least 4 ounces!!

Comment

• mangerton
                    • Nov 2010

I confess, I too had mash yesterday, and today (through laziness) Potatoes with oodles of butter and cream are just beyond wondrous, comforting, and a beauty to behold .... the roast parsnips however were brilliant, they just get on with it with and do not complain. Not every root vegetable needs blasting with heat and crisping.
                    I am sure I have put on at least 4 ounces!!
                    A mere four ounces? I'm sure they won't be in the least noticeable.

Slightly OT, but it's less than a month to Burns' night. He knew what he was on about, with his champit tatties (and bashed neeps) as accompaniments to haggis. I doubt though whether his tatties had much in the way of butter or cream.

Comment

• Anna

Slightly OT, but it's less than a month to Burns' night. He knew what he was on about, with his champit tatties (and bashed neeps) as accompaniments to haggis. I doubt though whether his tatties had much in the way of butter or cream.
                      I have had so much fun on Burns Night (there is, I confess, a Buchanan lurking in the family .... but we dinnae mention him) and, now I have the Glenmorangie to annoint the haggis, (I've only had the one tot since I bought it) I might just push the boat out in January!

Comment

• mangerton
                        • Nov 2010

I have had so much fun on Burns Night (there is, I confess, a Buchanan lurking in the family .... but we dinnae mention him) and, now I have the Glenmorangie to annoint the haggis, (I've only had the one tot since I bought it) I might just push the boat out in January!
                        Only one tot? What incredible self restraint!

I think you should definitely go in for some serious boat-pushing next month!

Comment

• Anna

Only one tot? What incredible self restraint!
                          I think you should definitely go in for some serious boat-pushing next month!
                          Crikey, mangerton. I think I should as well! I've never had such a sober and grown up Christmas and been tucked up in bed well before midnight for ages!
                          I shall buy a McSweens haggis and we shall trip the light fantastic .... wi' tatties 'n neeps - that's a promise.

Comment

• mangerton
                            • Nov 2010

Crikey, mangerton. I think I should as well! I've never had such a sober and grown up Christmas and been tucked up in bed well before midnight for ages!
                            I shall buy a McSweens haggis and we shall trip the light fantastic .... wi' tatties 'n neeps - that's a promise.
                            Excellent! McSweens are definitely the ones to go for. I'll look forward to a full report, but take care..........

Many years ago I went to a Burns Supper run by the Junior Chamber of Commerce in the town I was living in at the time. I'm ashamed to say I rather over indulged. This would have been OK except there was a blinding snow storm which resulted in a power cut. I got into bed - no lights - and as the room revolved around me I had to hold on tightly lest I fell out.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Excellent! McSweens are definitely the ones to go for. I'll look forward to a full report, but take care..........

Many years ago I went to a Burns Supper run by the Junior Chamber of Commerce in the town I was living in at the time. I'm ashamed to say I rather over indulged. This would have been OK except there was a blinding snow storm which resulted in a power cut. I got into bed - no lights - and as the room revolved around me I had to hold on tightly lest I fell out.
                              Until you have Clonakilty Black pudding with or without tatties and neeps you really haven't lived
                              puts all Haggi to shame though Ireland has yet to produce anything to rival Talisker

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                                Until you have Clonakilty Black pudding with or without tatties and neeps you really haven't lived
                                puts all Haggi to shame though Ireland has yet to produce anything to rival Talisker
                                Burns Night could be cancelled!!

Comment

Working...
                                X