X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mangerton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    We had a collection for BHF at the funeral so I like to think he had a hand in guiding the winning ticket towards me! Hamper collected and it contains:
    Bottle of Prosecco, bottle of red, plum pudding, iced fruit cake, almond & vanilla cookies, shortbread fingers, cranberry sauce, jar of dry roast peanuts, cheese & sesame crumbles, spiced Moroccan seed & nut crackers, ground Brazilian coffee, English breakfast tea, whisky fudge, honey & almond nougat, rhubarb & custard sweets and a tin of those lovely old fashioned forest fruit Travel Sweets! A nice selection.

Got soaked there and back, absolutely tipping it down and black as pitch at 9am when I left, brightening up slightly now. I'm in for the day now and this afternoon will cook a ham whilst listening to Carols from Kings on R4.
    That all (including the ham) sounds highly delicious. I made stuffing this morning. Have to go out this afternoon, so have set recording device for Kings.

Raining again here.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
      That all (including the ham) sounds highly delicious. I made stuffing this morning. Have to go out this afternoon, so have set recording device for Kings.
      Raining again here.
      You'll be glad to know that the shortbread, cookies, cranberry sauce and coffee were all produced in Scotland! Will you have turkey mangerton, what sort of stuffing have you made and what's your menu? We are having a non-traditional meal here of organic Welsh leg of lamb which even though we grow them here costs a small fortune (traditional trimmings of course of roast tatties, parsnips, sweet potato, carrots plus sprouts, green beans and some pigs in blankets for good measure!) Even a crown of turkey is too much for two people and chicken is somehow a bit ordinary. Starter will be old fashioned prawn cocktail, pudding will be cheese board, nuts, fruit. The plum pudding from the hamper will be saved for Boxing Day or New Year. Supper will be Scottish smoked salmon (which has been smoked over peat and heather it says), then a slice of Christmas cake and a tot of Glenmorangie to help it slip down!

What's everyone else having? Saly, what did you decide upon in the end? Sun's out here!
      (Cali: Unfortunately the Press were not there - Hello magazine missed a great photo opportunity!)

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

You'll be glad to know that the shortbread, cookies, cranberry sauce and coffee were all produced in Scotland! Will you have turkey mangerton, what sort of stuffing have you made and what's your menu? We are having a non-traditional meal here of organic Welsh leg of lamb which even though we grow them here costs a small fortune (traditional trimmings of course of roast tatties, parsnips, sweet potato, carrots plus sprouts, green beans and some pigs in blankets for good measure!) Even a crown of turkey is too much for two people and chicken is somehow a bit ordinary. Starter will be old fashioned prawn cocktail, pudding will be cheese board, nuts, fruit. The plum pudding from the hamper will be saved for Boxing Day or New Year. Supper will be Scottish smoked salmon (which has been smoked over peat and heather it says), then a slice of Christmas cake and a tot of Glenmorangie to help it slip down!

What's everyone else having? Saly, what did you decide upon in the end? Sun's out here!
        Hello Anna, a lovely hamper, well done. Kind cozes are bringing in some chicken breasts and joints for me soon, as they couldn't find small turkey packs. With tarting upwith bread sauce and sage and onion stufing it will be fine.

Hasn't stopped raining here all day and I hav the lights on. sorry about typing Anna

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

(Cali: Unfortunately the Press were not there - Hello magazine missed a great photo opportunity!)

Still, I hope you tipped you coiffeur royally for his exertions?
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

I am sure anna does, Cali!!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Still, I hope you tipped you coiffeur royally for his exertions?
              My new hairdresser is Ukrainian, she is mad as a box of frogs and dresses like a Fairy, and so incredibly beautiful it's amazing with cheekbones that would cut you and slanting eyes, but she really knows how to cut it. I go every four weeks now and since she has had her hands on I get so many compliments, and the traffic stops whenever I step into the road, so last week, I did tip her handsomely. She is married to a South African and has lived here for 11 years, her children are called Dylan and Nicholas She loves me, she says 'Oh, your hair is so thick and lovely and I make you even more lovely' Well, I cannot disagree with that!

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                Weather a mixed bag today. Playing only Christmas music today!!
                Weather remarkably kind this morning for the singing of Carols by the Harmony Choir through Falmouth - 150+ TTBB voices - great occasion and Proper Job start to Christmas.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Proper Job start to Christmas.
                  My old great-uncle Bill always said 'Proper Job, Proper Job' and 'That's the ticket!'
                  This Christmas Eve is just the ticket I think, everyone happy and joyous. Glad your Carols went well (ahem, I have CFM on now - carols - instead of the awful Met Opera on R3!)

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

er the Wagner is adding to the gloom and wetness .... what a dreadful idea to put that on everyday at teatime ....

it is just so unbelievably wet but at least no flooding to cope with .... can not imagine how dreadful that must be
                    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

... I have CFM on now - carols - instead of the awful Met Opera on R3!
                      ... is the Met Opera on R3 at the moment a Welsh thing? - no Met Opera on R3 here in W12 - I'm currently rather enjoying the R3 offering: Royal Opera House Rheingold

So much better than all that awful English carolling, King's College schmaltz and what have you...

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        ... is the Met Opera on R3 at the moment a Welsh thing? - no Met Opera on R3 here in W12 - I'm currently rather enjoying the R3 offering: Royal Opera House Rheingold
                        So much better than all that awful English carolling, King's College schmaltz and what have you...
                        Oh, I am chastised, I just heard Opera and thought it was The Met - how gloomy to have Wagner on Christmas Eve - still, this CFM is awfully jolly and my ham - well I spread mamarlade on him, then later I drizzled him with cranberry, then I pierced him with cloves and if I had spikenard and hyssop I would have annointed with these herbs, but I did strew a modicum of rosemary, round and about. It is smelling so gorgeous ... I just want to eat it up, now!

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

My old great-uncle Bill always said 'Proper Job, Proper Job' and 'That's the ticket!'
                          This Christmas Eve is just the ticket I think, everyone happy and joyous. Glad your Carols went well (ahem, I have CFM on now - carols - instead of the awful Met Opera on R3!)
                          Hark the Glad sounds - Your hamper sounds great - enjoy!
                          Last edited by cloughie; 24-12-12, 19:31.

Comment

• mangerton
                            • Nov 2010

Back from the wilds of Fife, having delivered aged mother to Miss m's, where we will foregather tomorrow. Miss m and I have divvied up the menu between us, and I've been told that I am i/c cooking. We're having Scottish smoked salmon and Prosecco. It will be followed by a turkey breast from M & S, my stuffing (trad Sc recipe - pork sausagemeat, onion, oatmeal, seasoning) pigs in blankets, and a wide range of veg, - roast spuds, carrots, sprouts, parsnips and red cabbage. I believe there is also ham. Claret. This will be followed by an interesting ice cream cake shaped like an igloo which I collected from a very good ice cream shop in St Andrews this afternoon. Coffee and brandy.

Your meal sounds jolly good, especially the Welsh lamb. Interesting to hear about the Scottish produce in your hamper. Would you mind if I asked who made the Scottish items?

OT - 984 mb, lowest for some time, but a very unseasonable 9° this afternoon.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

What a shame some of the more pastoral aspects of 'carolling' elude you - are you pulling our festive plonkers, or can you really not hear the beauty of RVW's 'Herefordshire Carol' or 'Gabriel's message' or Howells's 'Spotless Rose' or others, with old English or Basque or French origins...?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

My new hairdresser is Ukrainian, she is mad as a box of frogs and dresses like a Fairy, and so incredibly beautiful it's amazing with cheekbones that would cut you and slanting eyes, but she really knows how to cut it. I go every four weeks now and since she has had her hands on I get so many compliments, and the traffic stops whenever I step into the road, so last week, I did tip her handsomely. She is married to a South African and has lived here for 11 years, her children are called Dylan and Nicholas She loves me, she says 'Oh, your hair is so thick and lovely and I make you even more lovely' Well, I cannot disagree with that!
                                Blimey, I got a short story in response to my little question!

Great stuff!

Comment

Working...
                                X