X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mangerton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Cali, I have been promised a Fish Supper in Anstruther. Unless I perfect this Scottish dialect they won't know what on earth I am ordering! I could land up with Pollocks when all I wanted was a deep Pizza!
    The offer still stands, and it'll be a jolly good F S. I really would not recommend a deep fried Pizza. Judging by your most interesting posts about cooking, I don't think you'd enjoy it. I'm sure we'll all understand what I'm sure will be a charming Welsh accent - much more mellifluous than estuary English.

The night out was fine. Unfortunate that I had to leave early, but couldn't be helped.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
      a charming Welsh accent - much more mellifluous than estuary English.

That said, Charlotte Church was chairing HIGNFY tonight

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Cold, dry, milder day this morning in the Pennines - dark clouds making way for lighter ones and a touch of salmon pink just above the horizon.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I have that US dreadful school shooting on my mind today. I have cousin, husband and three children under ten in Cos Cob,CT and can't find that place or Newtown, where the tragedy took place, on my large scale map.
          With all the flippant comment on these boards, spare a thought for those families bereaved just before Christmas.

Sorry to be serious but it must have affected marthe too, as she's not all that far away from it all.

Comment

• Anna

Saly, only quick as I have to go out. I've looked up route planner to get from Cos Cob (which is on the coast) to Sandy Hook, Newton (which is inland) where the shooting took place. It's 46 miles away, so I hope this puts your mind at rest. When I return I'll try and post map so you can get your bearings re Cos Cob.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Your right, saly. I hope me,mbers here will spare a thought fopr all those poor people nereaved, especially as it has happened just before Christmas.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Saly, only quick as I have to go out. I've looked up route planner to get from Cos Cob (which is on the coast) to Sandy Hook, Newton (which is inland) where the shooting took place. It's 46 miles away, so I hope this puts your mind at rest. When I return I'll try and post map so you can get your bearings re Cos Cob.
                Thanks Anna, you're a pal. They wouldn't travel that far to school.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                  I have that US dreadful school shooting on my mind today. I have cousin, husband and three children under ten in Cos Cob,CT and can't find that place or Newtown, where the tragedy took place, on my large scale map.
                  With all the flippant comment on these boards, spare a thought for those families bereaved just before Christmas.

Sorry to be serious but it must have affected marthe too, as she's not all that far away from it all.
                  Indeed; a terrible event.

And can we also spare a moment for the Chinese Primary school children stabbed yesterday morning. No casualties there, thankfully, but terribly distressing for the seven-year-olds involved; and the "story" (I hate this word in this context) got rather lost once the news from the States got reported:

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Yes Ferney you are right and it could easily have been another bad tragedy. I'm glad no-one was killed but itwill remain with the children for years,if not the rest of their lives.

Perhaps more of us have relatives in the US and that is why it gets preferential treatment from the media.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Perhaps more of us have relatives in the US and that is why it gets preferential treatment from the media.
                      Yes; I have a great-nephew at Nursery School in Beijing, otherwise I don't think the story would have registered with me so shockingly. What is this world where our children are seen as "targets" like this so often?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        Yes; I have a great-nephew at Nursery School in Beijing, otherwise I don't think the story would have registered with me so shockingly. What is this world where our children are seen as "targets" like this so often?
                        Well, one cannot legislate for those who are mentally disturbed totally losing it, as seemed to be the case in China and the latest school shooting in the US. However, the US has in the constitution the right to bear arms and the rifle lobby is very powerful so I don't hold out much hope of change however much hand-wringing goes on.

Just to be ontopic, dreadful rainy morning, went out early, got soaked, then cleared lunchtime and now just a few showers but low dark clouds spreading from the West. At least it's not cold and no heating is needed.

Comment

• salymap
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Anna, sorry for reply in triplicate. 'puter is so slow and I always press again, which is a mistake.

On topic too, some rain and seems cold to me after a lovely bright morning.

Comment

• Anna

Anna, sorry for reply in triplicate. 'puter is so slow and I always press again, which is a mistake.
                            On topic too, some rain and seems cold to me after a lovely bright morning.
                            No problems saly (Dim Problemio as we say down by here!)
                            Yes, the sort of evening just to curl up with a good book, film, or The Killing. Tomorrow will be a better day, lots drier, I think. I must finish writing my cards tomorrow otherwise I'll miss the last posting date (Tuesday for 2nd class) I got one today from someone I worked with over 3 years ago and she wasn't on my list!

Comment

• salymap
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

No problems saly (Dim Problemio as we say down by here!)
                              Yes, the sort of evening just to curl up with a good book, film, or The Killing. Tomorrow will be a better day, lots drier, I think. I must finish writing my cards tomorrow otherwise I'll miss the last posting date (Tuesday for 2nd class) I got one today from someone I worked with over 3 years ago and she wasn't on my list!

Tuesday last day for 2nd class. I must get my skates on as we say around here

I had a card from an 88 year old painter- lovely woman and friend of a friend. I was afraid to send .....but she is still driving and painting after an eye operation.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Dim Problemio as we say down by here!
                                You do have a slight Problemio, Anna - yer inbox is full !!!
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X