X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I've just put the big bins out for tomorrow. It must be freezing and rather windy too. If this is the warm weekend, I'm not looking forward to going to the local shops tomorrow.

Comment

• mangerton
      • Nov 2010

Sun's back here and it's mild for the time of year. It's to get colder from tomorrow, apparently.

Bucket day here tomorrow too, saly.

Comment

• Anna

It's not cold, 8° but black clouds keeping rolling in and then rolling away. It's recycling day tomorrow here too, glass/tins/plastic/paper/cardboard Tuesday is kitchen and garden waste. Regular bins get collected fortnightly, I find, as everything is recycled, it's only necessary to put the bin out once a month.

Marthe, I do empathise with you re shopping malls. Luckily there are none here easily accessible but when I stay with family in Lancs they think I enjoy being dragged off to The Trafford Centre ....... They cannot get their heads around the notion that I'm not a consumer, I have no wish to traipse from Gap to Next to .... back of beyond (well, that's what it feels like also having had to endure a McDonalds or similar ......)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          It's not cold, 8° but black clouds keeping rolling in and then rolling away. It's recycling day tomorrow here too, glass/tins/plastic/paper/cardboard Tuesday is kitchen and garden waste. Regular bins get collected fortnightly, I find, as everything is recycled, it's only necessary to put the bin out once a month.

Marthe, I do empathise with you re shopping malls. Luckily there are none here easily accessible but when I stay with family in Lancs they think I enjoy being dragged off to The Trafford Centre ....... They cannot get their heads around the notion that I'm not a consumer, I have no wish to traipse from Gap to Next to .... back of beyond (well, that's what it feels like also having had to endure a McDonalds or similar ......)
          Same weather as here.

Still haven't made it to Tate Modern for my Xmas cards and calendar - has to be tomorrow as I've got 3 to send abroad. Toying with getting Janette Winterson's new book for ex-gf.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Same weather as here.
            Still haven't made it to Tate Modern for my Xmas cards and calendar - has to be tomorrow as I've got 3 to send abroad. Toying with getting Janette Winterson's new book for ex-gf.
            Well, S_A, all I can say is - as yet I do not have a 2013 calendar and, if you think your ex-gf is not worthy of the book .............
            Oh, come on, I have my own barometer, how more desirable do I have to be .... Oh, I see, I don't have an outside thermometer and hydrogemeter? .....
            Edit: only joking S-A, don't look so worried!
            Last edited by Guest; 09-12-12, 16:59.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Here's another common myth: "It's too cold to snow".
              I've often noticed how suddenly warm it goes just as snow starts to fall. I remember once being on a school football pitch in the 1960s when this phenomenum occurred. We all noticed it and the schoolmaster explained about the warm and cold frontal systems. Since then, I've watched out for it happening.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Well, S_A, all I can say is - as yet I do not have a 2013 calendar and, if you think your ex-gf is not worthy of the book .............
                Oh, come on, I have my own barometer, how more desirable do I have to be .... Oh, I see, I don't have an outside thermometer and hydrogemeter? .....
                Edit: only joking S-A, don't look so worried!
                Ex gf seems to have "got religion" and says she doesn't like Janette Winterson, and anyway not to bother thinking of books she might like as she can always get them from the library.

It's funny how people can change, isn't it.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

It's funny how people can change, isn't it.
                  See what happens when people move out of your sphere of influence, S_A! Think on!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Is'nt it strange, how, or so it seems, as you get older, the weekends get longer?

Well looks like a lovely day has been had. Lots of sunshinem, thank goodness!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

I find as I get older the birthdays get nearer to each other. Very scary.

Comment

• Anna

Just thought I would mention, tomorrow C4 8pm, programme about extremes of weather in 2012 called "Is our weather getting worse?" Might be of interest to weather watchers here. Sunny, bright, supposedly about 4.8C now but felt bitterly cold outside all day, quite a pretty sunset developing. I got my first Christmas card on Saturday, very nice cheerful one.
                        (I cannot find it now but there's interesting research about what the subject matter of the Christmas cards you choose say about your psychological profile)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Just thought I would mention, tomorrow C4 8pm, programme about extremes of weather in 2012 called "Is our weather getting worse?" Might be of interest to weather watchers here. Sunny, bright, supposedly about 4.8C now but felt bitterly cold outside all day, quite a pretty sunset developing. I got my first Christmas card on Saturday, very nice cheerful one.
                          (I cannot find it now but there's interesting research about what the subject matter of the Christmas cards you choose say about your psychological profile)
                          I know, Anna, and because I am duty-bound to go out I shall ruddy well miss it, unless CH 4 has some iPlayer equivalent. There's also an "unmissable" programme on BBC2 about Cuba at 9. That'll probably be iPlayable.

One relatively good bit of news is that the cold weather now only looks likely to last until Thursday, when the wind will pick up from a more southerly direction, avoiding the chance of a "snowdown" between continental arctic and maritime polar Atlantic air types of the 1963 kind, but heralding what could be serious gales on Friday.

Anyone interested in my latest voyage might like to go to the Buildings That Shouldn't Have Been Built thread.

Comment

• Anna

I know, Anna, and because I am duty-bound to go out I shall ruddy well miss it, unless CH 4 has some iPlayer equivalent. There's also an "unmissable" programme on BBC2 about Cuba at 9. That'll probably be iPlayable.
                            One relatively good bit of news is that the cold weather now only looks likely to last until Thursday, when the wind will pick up from a more southerly direction, avoiding the chance of a "snowdown" between continental arctic and maritime polar Atlantic air types of the 1963 kind, but heralding what could be serious gales on Friday.
                            Anyone interested in my latest voyage might like to go to the Buildings That Shouldn't Have Been Built thread.
                            I shall miss the programme as well, but C4 does have iplayer. There's also a programme on BBC4 9pm tonight about the golden age of steam trains ...... (there is no hope for me I fear, but I do love steam trains)
                            Have just read your latest voyage ... no cycle ride is wasted, think of the vast cardio-vascular benefits you are storing up!! Shame about the Tate cards though when you had set your heart on them.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

(there is no hope for me I fear, but I do love steam trains)
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mangerton
                                • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=Anna;234112]I shall miss the programme as well, but C4 does have iplayer. There's also a programme on BBC4 9pm tonight about the golden age of steam trains ...... (there is no hope for me I fear, but I do love steam trains)
                                QUOTE]

Anna, all the best people do! I shall be watching too.

Comment

Working...
                                X