X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    67 young enough then?
    I hope you are not directing Ageism towards yourself S_A and doing yourself down?
    I find, having friends across all age groups, from 30s to 80s, that age is really immaterial, so stop thinking about it. You are who you are, and on the inside, probably still feel around 17 years old, as we all do?
    I'm offline now but will be sourcing a calendar for you!!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      I hope you are not directing Ageism towards yourself S_A and doing yourself down?
      I find, having friends across all age groups, from 30s to 80s, that age is really immaterial, so stop thinking about it. You are who you are, and on the inside, probably still feel around 17 years old, as we all do?
      I'm offline now but will be sourcing a calendar for you!!
      Not at all! Quite right too Anna.

Comment

• mangerton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        BTW, anyone remember their 21st?

I know adulthood's now supposed to arrive at 18 - it still hasn't in my case, but that's another subject.

I'll never forget mine! Parents booked a swanky local country club. £500 to hire - a lot of money in 1966. I had to hire evening jacket and bow tie from Moss Bros. 200 turned up. Expected as I was to make a speech, I drank half one of the bottles of bubbly to steady my nerves. 200 guests! The following day Dad asked if I'd enjoyed the experience. I white-lied yes. "Oh good", he said, "because we had thought of buying you a car instead"!
        I didn't have a party, just drinks with a few friends, but I got a sizeable contribution towards a car, a few years after you.

Many belated happy returns from Fohn-affected Dundee, (9°C, dry, 1006 mb)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
          I didn't have a party, just drinks with a few friends, but I got a sizeable contribution towards a car, a few years after you.

Many belated happy returns from Fohn-affected Dundee, (9°C, dry, 1006 mb)
          Best wishes to you too, mangerton.

Off out now.....

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Can't remember much about my 21st birthday butwas getting ready for a visit to friends in Belguim, At work, my boss, hearing of my birthday ,kissed me on top of my head as I sat working. I visibly shuddered and wished I'd had a bonus instead of that. We all got a bag of sweets at Christmas, not a cheque.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
              At work, my boss, hearing of my birthday ,kissed me on top of my head as I sat working. I visibly shuddered and wished I'd had a bonus instead of that.

Plus ça change... I've had to deal this week with someone at work giving an inappropriate kiss - in a lift - to a colleague...

Hope the Belgian trip went off well though! Sounds very enterprising!
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Plus ça change... I've had to deal this week with someone at work giving an inappropriate
                kiss - in a lift - to a colleague...

Hope the Belgian trip went off well though! Sounds very enterprising!

morning Cali, I've told this before, but...... When the Germans invaded Belguim people near the coast [Ostende] were rescued by little boats and brought here. Staying with an Aunt in Petts Wood near me during WW2 I met a large family from Ostende, including a girl my age. De Gaulle also lived quite near atthat time.

After the war several of them visited me and I to them. Helene and I made a special trip to a Soho butcher, either French or Belgian, to thank him forhelping to rescue them and others. I never saw her again as she died quite young but it was a happy time for us all.

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Cousin in Hampshire says it's a lovely day but here in the SE there is a biting cold wind so I am making do with the grub I have - quite a lot on inspection of the fridge/freezer. Probably lots of veg, bangers and mash. I'm supposed to have main meal midday for some reason.

i can't compete with the likes of Anna in fancy meals. Less work the better for me now.

Comment

• amateur51

morning Cali, I've told this before, but...... When the Germans invaded Belguim people near the coast [Ostende] were rescued by little boats and brought here. Staying with an Aunt in Petts Wood near me during WW2 I met a large family from Ostende, including a girl my age. De Gaulle also lived quite near atthat time.

After the war several of them visited me and I to them. Helene and I made a special trip to a Soho butcher, either French or Belgian, to thank him forhelping to rescue them and others. I never saw her again as she died quite young but it was a happy time for us all.
                    Possibly at Randall and Aubin in Brewer Street. The name remains but nowadays it is a fancy fish restaurant.

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Possibly at Randall and Aubin in Brewer Street. The name remains but nowadays it is a fancy fish restaurant.
                      Afternoon ams51. No it was round the corner from Dean Street in, I think, Old Compton Street.

Is Mr Pugh, the Welsh grocer still there? Actually it would be his grandkids if anything
                      Last edited by salymap; 08-11-12, 14:03. Reason: Mr Pugh's name mangled

Comment

• Anna

Cousin in Hampshire says it's a lovely day but here in the SE there is a biting cold wind so I am making do with the grub I have - quite a lot on inspection of the fridge/freezer. Probably lots of veg, bangers and mash. I'm supposed to have main meal midday for some reason.
                        i can't compete with the likes of Anna in fancy meals. Less work the better for me now.
                        saly, it's only fancy at weekends (I love bangers and mash, nothing better!) but tonight it's fish and salad.
                        Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        I've had to deal this week with someone at work giving an inappropriate kiss - in a lift - to a colleague...
                        Would the kiss have been appropriate if it were given in the corridor whilst waiting for the lift? Surely a slap round the face in the lift would have settled the matter rather than an official hearing?

On-topic, sunny, 12.8°, barometer 1015.9

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Hi folks!!

I will be offline from tomorrow til 15th(just to loet you know!!) Hopefully back on from 15th.(Moviong house on 10th!!)

Not bad down hereaqbouts. Bit of a nip in the inair though!
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Ohhh moving BBM Very bestof luck and hope it all goes well. saly

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              Hi folks!!

I will be offline from tomorrow til 15th(just to loet you know!!) Hopefully back on from 15th.(Moviong house on 10th!!)

Not bad down hereaqbouts. Bit of a nip in the inair though!
                              Yes good luck with your move, BBM - we'll miss your idiosyncratic prose on the forum meanwhile!

Are you staying in the same area? The South coast reputedly receives more sunshine than anywhere else in the UK. Hard to figure that one out, but...

Well, it's a relief, if nothing else, to see "normal" weather patterns across the Atlantic, normal temperatures and the usual "mix" of typical British weather, following months of blocking high pressure systems, always in the wrong locations! Pretty much overcast here now - cumulus and stratocumulus - suggesting possible light showers, though none are in the official forecast. 11 C, wind gentle westerly.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

I be living in the localilty still. Nearer to my work at the school and to MrsBBM's as well.

Hope everyone will behave themselves whilst I am gone!!

Cheers for now folks!!
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X