Stormy Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Agree with scotty and mercia, the blanket coverage of NY has really annoyed me whilst ignoring Asia, Haiti and Jamaica (where the banana crop has been wiped out) There is an article in The Guardian about the effects on Haiti which hasn't recovered from 2010
    Haiti reeling from impact of Hurricane Sandy, as latest disaster leaves 54 people dead and more than 200,000 homeless

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I agree with all the above but on these boards it's natural to think of our relatives in Oz or the USA as we do. I knew someone who's family was affected in one of the other tragedies and NYC does get too much attention perhaps. Lots of other States are suffering though.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Cold, wet and asthma here.

Comment

• Anna

Poor Rob, asthma is a horrible thing, BBM suffers terribly yet he plays a tuba which must require a lot of puff!! Cold and wet here too although the morning wasn't bad but very cold wind
          saly, yes, in circumstances like Sandy our thoughts always turn to family but Haiti (where they lead such wretched lives anyway) always seems to be bottom of the list when it comes to aid.

Comment

• handsomefortune

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            but Haiti (where they lead such wretched lives anyway) always seems to be bottom of the list when it comes to aid.
            not according to gaugin anna, it was a paradise apparently, so much so that he dreaded returning to stinking blighty!

but yes, haiti does suffer repeat catastrophes which are then repeatedly overlooked!

it is cold and grey, my toes are like ice cubes, but i will not put the heating on till evening. we are thinking of getting a wood burner installed....(does anyone know about how to check and prepare the chimney, and the cost ruffly)?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
              it is cold and grey, my toes are like ice cubes, but i will not put the heating on till evening. we are thinking of getting a wood burner installed....(does anyone know about how to check and prepare the chimney, and the cost ruffly)?
              No idea, you need an expert to advise on such things. In the meantime, thick, soft, wool socks, cosy Ugg boot type slippers, layered clothing - and don't forget your vest!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

Poor Rob, asthma is a horrible thing,
                Anna I've only got myself to blame,legacy of my smoking days probably.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                  Cold, wet and asthma here.
                  Sympathies Rob, from fellow asthma sufferer! I have brittel asthma, which nearly evereythin that can be set of, I react!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

My sympathy to the asthma sufferers. I had a friend with that and bronchiectasis {dodgy spelling but you may know what I mean.] She had to have her lungs drained every so often, And she was a nurse so knew about the seriousness of it.

On topic, wet here in the SE but worse in the SW apparently. How is it in the Borders and Scotland?

Comment

• Flay
                      • Mar 2007

No treats for trickers

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                      My sympathy to the asthma sufferers. I had a friend with that and bronchiectasis {dodgy spelling but you may know what I mean.] She had to have her lungs drained every so often, And she was a nurse so knew about the seriousness of it.

On topic, wet here in the SE but worse in the SW apparently. How is it in the Borders and Scotland?
                      Perfect spelling, saly!

Last night after work we were bracing ourselves for the onslaught of "Trick or Treat" callers, the basket of goodies was prepared. With little warning about half an inch of rain fell. We had not a single caller.

Anyone fancy some sweets?
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                        Anyone fancy some sweets?
                        Yes please! It rained steadily from 4pm yesterday but Halloween where I am is a non-event. The group of young children down the road have a small party where they dress up but don't go knocking on doors.
                        My Polish (devout Catholic) friend takes All Saints Day and All Souls Day (tomorrow) very seriously, tidying her husband's grave, flowers, Masses, etc.

Comment

• mangerton
                          • Nov 2010

Sunny day here, but very cold hovering around 1°C when I arrived at work shortly before 8.00.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Just two lots of trick or treaters here yesterday evening - the first lot being the two children from the flat next door with their mum. One hates to be thought a party pooper, but I really disagree with this practice, while stalling short of saying so or hoping the little terrors' teeth all fall out.

The expected heavy rain arrived after midnight here, judging by the charts, and I slept through it, unusually for me. Barometer currently at 980 millibars - I had to check to see if the setting had somehow slipped - that's actually lower than at Marthe's at the height of Hurricane Sandy. Scottish barometer-readers will be experiencing even greater surprises!

Comment

• Anna

Our local weather station is reporting a barometer reading of 975.2mb, having risen from 972.0 at 7am. I presume this is a good sign? Certainly the rain this morning is giving way to blue and sunshine.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Our local weather station is reporting a barometer reading of 975.2mb, having risen from 972.0 at 7am. I presume this is a good sign? Certainly the rain this morning is giving way to blue and sunshine.
                                That's rather like being on day 2 of a prison life sentence, and saying, well, at least there's only 7928 more to go!

Keep repeating the following mantra until the barometer reads at least 1016 mb:

Low is low is low is low is low is low is low is low............................................... ................................................

Comment

Working...
                                X