• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

Advanced Search

The following errors occurred with your search

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:
    tuk, tuk

Search Tag Cloud
    These are the 70 most-searched-for thread tags
    1980's 2011 proms adiemus anna nicole anniversaries anniversary artemis bach bbc four bbc symphony beethoven birth borodin quartet boy broadcast failures chicago symphony choir choirs choral classical cockerell concert death drama on 3 ethiopia evensong family female singers finnish fiona talkington free jazz haitink holst hubba hubba instruments late junction llangennech choir lopa kathari macintosh mahler 9 memories mulatu astatqe music norman wisdom presto classical prom prom 45 radio three rajars roh schubert shimmery singing sir georg solti sir simon rattle songs spotify string quartettes strings talich the big wen theclassicalreview.com the lad is back time top rank composer vermeer vinyl violinists wilhelmj world music playlists....
    bong ching

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

One of my cousins is flying home today or tomorrow after a long visit to daughter and family in New York and Greenwich,CT.

I hope they all keep safe.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by salymap View Post
        Thanks ams, I managed to avoid the tuk-tuks although one flew over rather low as I crossed the road. Fed up with ready meals from localshop which have a funny taste so bought some organic lamb's liver and my staple, braising steak. Very expensive shop but it's worth it

On topic - drizzle only atm but chilly wind.
        This is all good news, salymap - a good shop by the sound of it & you'll be cooking up a storm at salymap towers

Any celery going in with the braising steak? (makes it Caliban-proof y'see )

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Blackberries still available free of charge. Picked a few this morning to go with breakfast cereal.

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            This is all good news, salymap - a good shop by the sound of it & you'll be cooking up a storm at salymap towers

Any celery going in with the braising steak? (makes it Caliban-proof y'see )

No celery ams, your last remark is too clever for me. I expect it's rude so don't want to encourage the tuk-tuks.

Off topic computer is getting worse every day. I listened to
            your kind excerpt of music from North by North West. It played, windows went awol again and screen was blank but MUSIC STILL PLAYED when it was off.Over and over it went,

Comment

• Anna

No celery ams, your last remark is too clever for me. I expect it's rude so don't want to encourage the tuk-tuks.
              Off topic computer is getting worse every day.
              Nothing rude about celery saly, it's just that Caliban can't abide it in any shape or form (his loss) Glad you support your local butcher, wish more people would instead of buying from supermarkets - we only have two independent butchers left here. Your computer situation is worrying, have you a local firm who could give it a once over?
              On-topic, about 9° here and quite a nice bright afternoon, blue sky and sunshine.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

No celery ams, your last remark is too clever for me.
                He means that celery is one of the things I can't stand - as garlic to a vampire, as it were....- so if you lace your stew with the wretched plant, you won't run the risk of finding me in your larder ladling it into my capacious maw!

Bon appétit, saly, and keep warm!

Perishing in the wind here

EDIT: CROSS-POSTED WITH THE PRO-CELERY ALLIANCE PARTY CANDIDATE!!
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  He means that celery is one of the things I can't stand - as garlic to a vampire, as it were....- so if you lace your stew with the wretched plant, you won't run the risk of finding me in your larder ladling it into my capacious maw!

Bon appétit, saly, and keep warm!

Perishing in the wind here

EDIT: CROSS-POSTED WITH THE PRO-CELERY ALLIANCE PARTY CANDIDATE!!
                  Well you see Cali, I am so used to looking for six separate meanings to any remark on SW, half of them possible subjects for the tuk-tuk,that a simple dislike of celery did not occur to me. I like it raw, not so much cooked.

It was liver and onions today. I am supposd to eat at lunch time if possible because I am too tired or lazy to cook at night. it depends on circs, of course.

Comment

• mangerton
                    • Nov 2010

Well you see Cali, I am so used to looking for six separate meanings to any remark on SW, half of them possible subjects for the tuk-tuk,that a simple dislike of celery did not occur to me. I like it raw, not so much cooked.

It was liver and onions today. I am supposd to eat at lunch time if possible because I am too tired or lazy to cook at night. it depends on circs, of course.
                    Organic lamb's liver and onions sounds delicious and nutritious, and it has the advantage too of being relatively cheap. One of my favourites.

I must say I'm with Caliban on the celery front. There are not many things I don't like, but celery is one of them. (Tripe is another.)

On topic, another bright sunny day here, but there's a snell breeze. Temp at 7.30 am was 2°C, and is currently about 6°C.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                      Organic lamb's liver and onions sounds delicious and nutritious, and it has the advantage too of being relatively cheap. One of my favourites.

I must say I'm with Caliban on the celery front. There are not many things I don't like, but celery is one of them. (Tripe is another.)
                      I like the flavour of liver and liver and bacon with onions is so tempting, BUT, I dislike the texture and it has to be sliced very, very, thinly and disguised with thickish gravy so I don't have to actually study it. I'm the same with kidneys and will happily make a steak and kidney pie for their flavour - and then push the kidneys to the side of the plate untouched! I've never tried tripe. As to celery, as several people have remarked on the cookery threads, you simply cannot make a decent stock without it and therefore I know that Cali and other celery haters will have ingested it with great gusto without realising!
                      Edit: What's a snell breeze? Does it mean sharp?
                      Last edited by Guest; 26-10-12, 15:54. Reason: added query

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

I have never eaten tripe either Anna. I remember my mother cooking it for my dad, but she and I couldn't stand it.
                        Not keen on shell fish except prawns and wouldn't touch eels or frogs' legs. Some years ago I felt ill, sitting next to someone dissecting frogs. It putme off my steak Rossini

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                          Tripe is another of mine !

Not much else (... oh! I draw the line at brains

I can do without whelks too...)

What is a 'snell' breeze, mangie?
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

I have never eaten tripe either Anna. I remember my mother cooking it for my dad, but she and I couldn't stand it.
                            Not keen on shell fish except prawns and wouldn't touch eels or frogs' legs. Some years ago I felt ill, sitting next to someone dissecting frogs. It putme off my steak Rossini
                            I had an aged auntie who would cook mounds of tripe for her husband, it just looked so rubbery and unappetising. I'm allergic to crustacea, which isn't a problem although I'm ok with prawns. I do like eel, not of the jellied variety, and used to have it regularly in Italy casseroled and it's nice smoked. Frogs legs I've never eaten and the best thing about snails is the garlic butter. I'm also not keen on whole small birds, such as quail or poussain as it's somehow equivalent to eating babies. There again I'm not keen on big steaks - a huge slab of meat is somehow offputting.

Comment

• salymap
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

I love most animals and don't want to be reminded of their skeletons so prefer meat without bones. I had one good friend who was veggie and just served up eggs and cheese dishes. Another friend of hers made delicious tray bakes of various vegetables with a lovely sauce. I just wish I had the recipe for the latter.

Sorry Mahlerei I/we are turning this into the food thread...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

well it is very chill and windy in middle kingdom dark grey skies and the looming change of the clocks make it a miserable day ...so the cheese omelette chips and ketchup was most welcome at lunchtime!

as was the Mahler 4 Rob played this am ...
                                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                                X