Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

I bet it's not half, neigh an eigth as bad as the regular 'dread' on the front page of the Bradford Telegraph and Argus....makes me shudder just to think of it....
    bong ching

Comment

• mangerton
      • Nov 2010

This was the headline in a west of Scotland evening paper many years ago:

MAN THROWS WARDROBE AT WIFE

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

I was going to put up a link to todays BT&A....but it was so horrible, I'll spare you....
        bong ching

Comment

• Tapiola
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
          This was the headline in a west of Scotland evening paper many years ago:

MAN THROWS WARDROBE AT WIFE
          (perhaps I shouldn't laugh)

A couple of years ago I witnessed a man throwing a baby's pram at his wife, in a play park. Rather disturbing. I might add, thankfully, that the baby was not in the pram at the time, and the man's aim was not good.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
            (perhaps I shouldn't laugh)

A couple of years ago I witnessed a man throwing a baby's pram at his wife, in a play park. Rather disturbing. I might add, thankfully, that the baby was not in the pram at the time, and the man's aim was not good.
            Thank goodness for that, Taps

Many years ago I was strolling up to a major crossroads in North London. There was a car at the traffic lights and as the lights changed to green, the driver got out, collected her handbag, tossed a final unheard remark at her passenger and stalked up up the road to her right. Several moments later, the passenger door opened and a flustered man got out, looked back at the stationary and expectant queue of traffic behind him and called out plaintively at her receding form "Oh come on Angela, you know I can't drive!"

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              A lot of bloodshed in the Nell Gwyn Tea Rooms, perhaps?
              Just after I maligned Chippenham, I received an email from the Bournemouth SO informing me that they doing a concert there. A new venue on me, and indeed a new member of the Tortelier family conducting. Quite a pleasant looking concert which we might even go to.

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                Just after I maligned Chippenham, I received an email from the Bournemouth SO informing me that they doing a concert there. A new venue on me, and indeed a new member of the Tortelier family conducting. Quite a pleasant looking concert which we might even go to.
                http://bsolive.com/concerts/listings...ncertid=170217
                Wow,how time passes. Could that be Paul's grandson ? The first time I saw Paul Tortelier was in 1947/8 when he played the Tchaik Rococo variations at the RAH. He was in his thirties I believe.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                  Could that be Paul's grandson ?
                  Yep - Yan Pascal's son.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    Bad things happen in Chippenham so I avoid the place. I only have to look at the headlines in our local weekly paper, the Wiltshire Gazette and Herald.
                    the real problem with chippenham is that it takes an hour and three quarters to drive round the ring road.
                    And its really not all that big.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      the real problem with chippenham is that it takes an hour and three quarters to drive round the ring road.
                      And its really not all that big.

There seems to be some mysterious significance to that observation, ts...
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

There seems to be some mysterious significance to that observation, ts...
                        indeed, I was hoping that people would read deep significance and meaning where there is none...a trick I learned while studying structuralism...whereas I really was describing the actuality of the north wilts roads system, a dumping ground for the EU mini roundabout mountain.

(PS,anybody know a short cut?)

Edit, I don't really understand this thread, but it was sunshine and showers in Somerset today.

Edit Edit... I tend to go there when I have new treats from the "bargains" thread to pass the time.....
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

chippenham sounds a bit like a Tardis....
                          bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                            chippenham sounds a bit like a Tardis....
                            There was one girl who came from Chippenham, who worked in the hotel kitchen where I was working for a time; she was had by every male who worked in that kitchen, with the exception of myself, and the head chef. And I don't mean had in the deceived sense. I only found out about it the following morning, when everyone laughed when I asked why no one except me was having breakfast at the usual table.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              There was one girl who came from Chippenham...
                              i was expecting a limerick here which never quite took shape.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

Do others here look at the weather forecasts on the net?

Met Office weather forecasts for the UK. World leading weather services for the public.

I find I now look most days, having entered my location, as I can now play a sequence of up to five day's forecast. There are various options but the map has little clouds and child's suns (as appropriate) drifting over southern England. And lots of varied information, recent and forecast to explore. I did a little meteorology at school in A-level Geography, and am able to make some sense of a pressure chart. I need to get more skilled with this as I've recently taken up an interest in sailing.

Comment

Working...
                                X