• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    While the south basks and gloats in all radio /TV, here in Ultima Thule as I look out, I cannot even see the fells since mist/cloud is literally down to the horizon in all directions. Perfect whiteout. Temp c 14C.

Late summer?

Pah!
    That describes the Pennines yesterday, DracoM. Today we have had glorious weather: fingers crossed this reaches you tommorrow!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Beautiful here in London - little breeze yet extraordinarily clear atmosphere, and the strongest sunshine I can remember within 2 weeks of the autumn equinox.

I had considered availing myself of the European Open Day, offering free access to locales otherwise not open to the public, or only open on paid entry; but I gave up after a futile search for a website which could direct me to venues within easy reach: it appears there are none.

And so, leaving at 10.30, I took the opportunity to cycle The White Bear pub, high up on the North Downs at a little place signposted as Fickleshole, halfway between Biggin Hill airfield to the east and, to the west, the suburbanised village of Warlingham, taking an extra mile in to gloat awhile at the beautiful valley to the south, which must be London's nearest equivalent to Cotswold scenery, yet missed by both drivers, to whom one has carefully to give way as the tear their way through the narrow lanes criss-crossing the Downs, and cyclists who use the hilly terrain for training purposes. The White Bear - complete with realistic polar bear sculpture out front - sports both friendly atmosphere and pricey menu , so a quick refreshing half of draft lager, downed among the large area of tables at the back, was enough before resuming my return journey by a different route, arriving home for a well-earned salad lunch just in time to catch Any Questions.

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Beautiful here in London - little breeze yet extraordinarily clear atmosphere, and the strongest sunshine I can remember within 2 weeks of the autumn equinox.

I had considered availing myself of the European Open Day, offering free access to locales otherwise not open to the public, or only open on paid entry; but I gave up after a futile search for a website which

could direct me to venues within easy reach: it appears there are none.

And so, leaving at 10.30, I took the opportunity to cycle The White Bear pub, high up on the North Downs at a little place signposted as Fickleshole, halfway between Biggin Hill airfield to the east and, to the west, the suburbanised village of Warlingham, taking an extra mile in to gloat awhile at the beautiful valley to the south, which must be London's nearest equivalent to Cotswold scenery, yet missed by both drivers, to whom one has carefully to give way as the tear their way through the narrow lanes criss-crossing the Downs, and cyclists who use the hilly terrain for training purposes. The White Bear - complete with realistic polar bear sculpture out front - sports both friendly atmosphere and pricey menu , so a quick refreshing half of draft lager, downed among the large area of tables at the back, was enough before resuming my return journey by a different route, arriving home for a well-earned salad lunch just in time to catch Any Questions.
        S-A Do you know Holly Hill, Harvel, overlooking the Pilgrims' Way down below? Wonderful views of Kent, blackberries for the picking, in season. Several good pubs, names mostly forgotten, but remember the Amazon and TigerI sometimes went in friends' car but used to pillion on a friend's motorbike, An Indian bike with chrome upswept exhausts,He was very proud of it but a museum piece now, I guess. Like me

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Glorious day in the Manchester area,23 degrees apparently but feels much warmer.
          Out all afternoon walking the dog (Debussy piano music on the i pod) wonderful.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
            S-A Do you know Holly Hill, Harvel, overlooking the Pilgrims' Way down below? Wonderful views of Kent, blackberries for the picking, in season. Several good pubs, names mostly forgotten, but remember the Amazon and TigerI sometimes went in friends' car but used to pillion on a friend's motorbike, An Indian bike with chrome upswept exhausts,He was very proud of it but a museum piece now, I guess. Like me
            Checking the OS map just now, I see that I do, sal - ex and I went that way one sunny day and admired the view, the m25 etc etc when I still had the Punto; it's a bit far for me on the bike tho', now I don't have a motor. Every 66-year old has his limits...

Funny you should mention blackberries - they're profusing all around here

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

a museum piece now......... Like me
              Surely not.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Yes lovely weather. I hope Scotland and the Borders are similarly blessed. I only hear from antongould when his garden is flooded and his ducks gone. Surely it must be fine in Tyne & Wear sometimes
                We have had the salymap holiday week of glorious weather here 'midst the pit heaps........many, many thanks to you and S_A.

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                  We have had the salymap holiday week of glorious weather here 'midst the pit heaps........many, many thanks to you and S_A.
                  Glad to hear it anton. S_A must take all the credit. He can really forecast the weather; I just go by past performance.

Very cold earlier today but warming up for what may be the last day of summer weather apparently.Bestio

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Down here going to be 29c a last blast methinks because there's going to be a polar air current sweeping down this week
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Cracking the flags here,not going to last I believe.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

A week of sunny weather down here in Cornwall was forecast to end today with cloud and rain. That certainly looked right this morning with bags of cloud but we've had no rain at all, and now the sun's come out

So maybe the reports of the end to the Indian summer - rain in the SW spreading everywhere fast - are a smidgeon premature? Let's hope...
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Since learning about it I've used this map from the met office quite often:
                          Our rainfall radar map shows precipitation and rainfall rates across the UK. Includes forecasts up to 5 days and observations from the last 48 hours.

It shows where there has been rainfall - half-hour radar snapshots over the last six hours - and gives an idea of intensity.

Here in south Hampshire we have thin high cloud after a morning of sunshine.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                            Since learning about it I've used this map from the met office quite often:
                            Our rainfall radar map shows precipitation and rainfall rates across the UK. Includes forecasts up to 5 days and observations from the last 48 hours.

It shows where there has been rainfall - half-hour radar snapshots over the last six hours - and gives an idea of intensity.

Here in south Hampshire we have thin high cloud after a morning of sunshine.
                            Thanks for drawing the met office chart to my attention, kb.

It shows the line of the approaching cold front hasn't yet reached Cornwall; and it appears to peter out at the southern end. Note the cloud and rain clusters off the Isle of Wight - probably destined for the London area in a couple of hours.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

It shows the line of the approaching cold front hasn't yet reached Cornwall; and it appears to peter out at the southern end. Note the cloud and rain clusters off the Isle of Wight - probably destined for the London area in a couple of hours.
                              There is insufficient protection here for me from the elements. I have worked hard to try in the last 22 months to promote programmes, to support those who want to improve the standards on Radio 3, to be entertaining as well as being entertained and to provide factual information on political situations where there hasn't been transparency. I don't feel that this has been appreciated.

My posts today are having to go through "management's" firewall. I feel that I have been subjected to a lot of verbal abuse by certain characters which has caused me considerable distress. I don't think I should have been placed in such distress when I had never attacked the perpetrators personally.

Management is of the view that no one has been callous towards me. In other words, I have no right to have my feelings accepted as the truth. So disturbed was I this morning that I responded in similar style to the ways of those who have disrupted my life and my happiness and to post messages in the style of the kinds that others have posted this week. That apparently in management's view is below the standard required of me and also concerning to other people. So I have been censored.

Thank you to genuine friends on the forum and kind people who sent me e-mails today. The position though now is that I have been left to put up with the verbal abuse without any means of defending myself. I would name names now but I'm not permitted. I can't get into my e-mails and my picture of sunshine can't be changed when actually others have turned it to black. I hope they sleep soundly. I feel as if I have been used by those who run the forum and have been badly let down by it. I have no faith in its judgement.

I'm saying goodbye.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

There is insufficient protection here for me from the elements. I have worked hard to try in the last 22 months to promote programmes, to support those who want to improve the standards on Radio 3, to be entertaining as well as being entertained and to provide factual information on political situations where there hasn't been transparency. I don't feel that this has been appreciated.

My posts today are having to go through "management's" firewall. I feel that I have been subjected to a lot of verbal abuse by certain characters which has caused me considerable distress. I don't think I should have been placed in such distress when I had never attacked the perpetrators personally.

Management is of the view that no one has been callous towards me. In other words, I have no right to have my feelings accepted as the truth. So disturbed was I this morning that I responded in similar style to the ways of those who have disrupted my life and my happiness and to post messages in the style of the kinds that others have posted this week. That apparently in management's view is below the standard required of me and also concerning to other people. So I have been censored.

Thank you to genuine friends on the forum and kind people who sent me e-mails today. The position though now is that I have been left to put up with the verbal abuse without any means of defending myself. I would name names now but I'm not permitted. I can't get into my e-mails and my picture of sunshine can't be changed when actually others have turned it to black. I hope they sleep soundly. I feel as if I have been used by those who run the forum and have been badly let down by it. I have no faith in its judgement.

I'm saying goodbye.

Comment

Working...
                                X