• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post

Haven't heard of that, though I've sometimes had a roll in bed with a little honey for breakfast.

Very good one, mangy!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

The weather is dull and grey. Looked like rain several times. I am at home, listening to R3. I surprised myself at really liking the Delius just on! I have a mountain of runners, they are my fave summer bean but I buy my veg from the market and he's so cheap .... everything £1 per lb and I bought lb and a half and he always gives me two lbs for luck. Otherwise it's by quantity. Five apples, 10 plums, 5 big juicy toms on the vine, huge punnet of blueberries, all £1. Cauliflowers a bargain at 30p. Vegetarians Paradise! Not that I am a vegetarian but I am eating less and less meat.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        The weather is dull and grey. Looked like rain several times. I am at home, listening to R3. I surprised myself at really liking the Delius just on! I have a mountain of runners, they are my fave summer bean but I buy my veg from the market and he's so cheap .... everything £1 per lb and I bought lb and a half and he always gives me two lbs for luck. Otherwise it's by quantity. Five apples, 10 plums, 5 big juicy toms on the vine, huge punnet of blueberries, all £1. Cauliflowers a bargain at 30p. Vegetarians Paradise! Not that I am a vegetarian but I am eating less and less meat.
        Good for you, Anna! Hasn't done me any harm. (Famous last words...)

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          I have a mountain of runners, they are my fave summer bean .
          ... I agree. But weren't you expressing dissatisfaction the other day re: runner-beans / salmon / new potatoes / rosemary ?
          Which was the problem? Surely not dem beens??

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... I agree. But weren't you expressing dissatisfaction the other day re: runner-beans / salmon / new potatoes / rosemary ?Which was the problem? Surely not dem beens??
            No, not the beans but whether the new pots/garlic/rosemary/red onion combo were slightly too much for the salmon to take on board and less would have been more. In the end, it all worked out perfectly, and not a morsel was left! <yummy emoticon>
            Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Good for you, Anna! Hasn't done me any harm. (Famous last words...)
            I veer between being carnivorous, vegetarian, and demi-veg (ie I eat fish) I am now on a sharp veer towards vegetarianism again (Oh, I have fish again tonight!) But I could never be vegan. I will have a cheese (Chaumes) for pud with an apple and oat biscuits (a fine Scottish delicacy almost on a par with Tunnocks dark choc teacakes!)
            Last edited by Guest; 02-09-12, 16:09.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Lovely weather, as term starts!! Typical!!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Lovely day here too but hot walking back from the supermarket with a loaded trolley.

Flying ants seem to have arrived in my garden. Next the horrible craneflies, aka Daddy Longlegs. I am a real baby if one gets into the house. Years ago one got tangled into my hair, then short and blonde,and flapped around for ages.Yuk.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Oh that must have been!! My parents place has been inundatedwith flies this summer. The poor people in their close, could'nt open their windows at all!!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                    Lovely day here too but hot walking back from the supermarket with a loaded trolley.
                    So, that's where all the supermarket trolleys end up!

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                    Flying ants seem to have arrived in my garden. Next the horrible craneflies, aka Daddy Longlegs. I am a real baby if one gets into the house. Years ago one got tangled into my hair, then short and blonde,and flapped around for ages.Yuk.
                    I was attacked by those big flying ants while working in the garden this afternoon, saly. It was the first time this year it had been both warm and calm enough to take a table and chair out and not have papers blowing every whichway, and in no time those blessed ants were everywhere.

I've always felt rather sorry for craneflies, in the habit as they are of losing their spindly legs. I wonder if they have their own version of the paralympics?

The forecasters are predicting prolonged warm conditions from Wednesday on!

Comment

• handsomefortune

prolonged warm conditions from Wednesday on!

oh goodee!

i had a mosquito in my hair a couple of night's ago ..... unpleasant as i couldn't get rid of it, and it was making that menacing noise they make....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzing.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

The bugs love biting me - especially legs since I'm still in short trouser mode. Red marks are still there as a reminder of last year's attacks.

Comment

• greenilex
                          • Nov 2010

My son has to cope with North American bugs, which seem to proliferate near Ole Man River and the Big Water.

Oh Shenandoah...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
                            My son has to cope with North American bugs, which seem to proliferate near Ole Man River and the Big Water.

Oh Shenandoah...
                            It's often the hidden hell behind apparently idyllic or legendary places. In my experience, the worst was that classic Tuscan scenery south of Siena - you know, the landscape with rolling undulations (the 'crete sienese') and tall thin cypress trees: great in pictures, mosquito hell in reality!!

(Night time in Polynesia's not much fun either )
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              So, that's where all the supermarket trolleys end up!

I was attacked by those big flying ants while working in the garden this afternoon, saly. It was the first time this year it had been both warm and calm enough to take a table and chair out and not have papers blowing every whichway, and in no time those blessed ants were everywhere.

I've always felt rather sorry for craneflies, in the habit as they are of losing their spindly legs. I wonder if they have their own version of the paralympics?

The forecasters are predicting prolonged warm conditions from Wednesday on!
                              I was about to throw my bonnet in the air at this news, S_A but thought - he's not confirmed it

So ... what say you, oh weather guru of this thread?

Comment

• salymap
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

No-one took any notice when I said I used to have a week's holiday in the first week of September, as it was invariably fine and warm. It it now safe to say, TOLD YOU SO

Comment

Working...
                                X