X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    I imagine the moon must exert some influence on the female sturgeon, perhaps promoting the development and harvesting of the caviar which doubtless graces our dear vinmousseux's table on a regular basis?

In other developments: Vertigo is much in the news http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19078948

Interesting comment from Bret Easton Ellis about the film:

"Vertigo: bored at 17, mildly interested at 28, beyond devastated at 37. From then on I've considered it the most beautiful film ever made... "
    Yes, now that puns have slipped down the popularity polls for qualities in humour, Vertigo has at last reached the dizzy heights of cinematic celebrity, unlikely to fall off for many years to come.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

In other developments: Vertigo is much in the news
      ... yes, I was mildly pleased to see that as soon as I had asseverated that Vertigo was "one of the best Hitchcocks" the rest of the world snapped into line...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... yes, I was mildly pleased to see that as soon as I had asseverated that Vertigo was "one of the best Hitchcocks" the rest of the world snapped into line...
        Not a sensation you're familiar with?
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Not a sensation you're familiar with?

... only too much so. My psychiatrist gets worried about it sometimes, but I reassure him that if the rest of the world agrees with me, albeit belatedly, of course I'm right.

Solipsist, moi???

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

... only too much so. My psychiatrist gets worried about it sometimes, but I reassure him that if the rest of the world agrees with me, albeit belatedly, of course I'm right.

Solipsist, moi???

Assurément, mon cher

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Assurément, mon cher
              ... and if I stride across Shepherd's Bush Green, my hand inside my jacket, my bicorn hat sideways on - do I mind the jeers of the urchins? - Non, mon brave!

"Remember Marengo!" I cry "Remember Austerlitz!!" They rightly cower before me...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

... and if I stride across Shepherd's Bush Green, my hand inside my jacket, my bicorn hat sideways on - do I mind the jeers of the urchins? - Non, mon brave!

"Remember Marengo!" I cry "Remember Austerlitz!!" They rightly cower before me...

An image which will sustain me for the rest of the afternoon

And do you ever hear that "toc-toc-toc" sound familiar to Astérix fans?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                  Lovely bit of meat ams, from small local butcher
                  Yum, salymap!

Small local butcher is a good thing, salymap - they'll do you one chop when that's all you need. Does s/he have a Granville-type character on a bicycle with a basket on the front who could deliver to your door as you're local?

Comment

• amateur51

Solipsist, moi???
                    The merest amateur in that league, vints compared to The Great One from Derbyshire who has been absent from this Board for many a moon, and a great peacefulness has fallen upon the Land of Frank as a consequence, I do believe

Comment

• amateur51

I've made chicken Marengo but I've never seen a receipt for anything Austerlitz by name. I fancy it might involve meringues, toasted hazelnuts and cream - what a lovely thought

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        Small local butcher is a good thing, salymap - they'll do you one chop when that's all you need. Does s/he have a Granville-type character on a bicycle with a basket on the front who could deliver to your door as you're local?
                        My independent butcher still operates a sit-up-and-beg bicycle with wicker basket and boy in stripey apron around town!! It's only to very local addresses though within a few minutes cycling and mainly for publicity purposes and his elderly customers! He's wonderful, makes his own award winning faggots (55p each) and hand-raised pork pies and cooked ham hocks which are only 99p and wonderful for stripping and adding to soups, risottos, omelettes, etc. He's a smashing bloke and as you say, if you only want two sausages or 4 rashers that's no problem. He also has a good cheese selection and free-range local eggs.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          My independent butcher still operates a sit-up-and-beg bicycle with wicker basket and boy in stripey apron around town!! It's only to very local addresses though within a few minutes cycling and mainly for publicity purposes and his elderly customers! He's wonderful, makes his own award winning faggots (55p each) and hand-raised pork pies and cooked ham hocks which are only 99p and wonderful for stripping and adding to soups, risottos, omelettes, etc. He's a smashing bloke and as you say, if you only want two sausages or 4 rashers that's no problem. He also has a good cheese selection and free-range local eggs.
                          I'm sure you do as I do with my Mr O'Farellski* and hug him close your bosom Anna, make him feel loved & appreciated

* Said business is named O'Farrell's but new owner is Polish, hence O'Farrellski

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            I was trying to construct a pithy response involving a boy on a bike, faggots, sausages and a hand-raised pork pie, but frenchie's little helper just put a shot across my bows

Comment

• amateur51

I was trying to construct a pithy response involving a boy on a bike, faggots, sausages and a hand-raised pork pie, but frenchie's little helper just put a shot across my bows

These are not just faggots, Cali

These are award winning faggots - the Simon Russell Beales of processed offal delights

Comment

• Anna

I was trying to construct a pithy response involving a boy on a bike, faggots, sausages and a hand-raised pork pie
                                I would have expected nothing less of you Cali <roll eyes, boys with will be boys, wry smile emoticon>

Comment

Working...
                                X