• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by marthe View Post
    BBM it's been hot here but not as bad as in the mid west. The sea breeze moderates our temps quite a bit. We did have some very hot days last week (for the flower show...wilting roses etc.) I expect we'll be getting some of the more extreme weather that's now west of us. It all comes this way eventually. Coastal New England is usually better off than the inland because of the sea breeze. Here in Newport, that breeze kicks in like clockwork at 1 PM every afternoon. It's a sorry day when it's dead calm. The America's Cup trials have had fair winds for their races over the past week. Just after 4th of July, we have Tall Ships coming in. It's the summer of the sail! More disturbing than the heat are the wildfires that are out of control in Colorado near Colorado Springs and in Pocatello, Idaho. A friend's grandson sent footage of houses in his neighborhood going up in flames! Quite frightening.
    Oh no!! Nothing worse than wildifre. I wouldnt want that on my worse enemy. Eventually we be getti ng your weathermethinks. Always seem to!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      Oh no!! Nothing worse than wildifre. I wouldnt want that on my worse enemy. Eventually we be getti ng your weathermethinks. Always seem to!
      According to this lunchtime's forecast, there's no break in the current unsettled weather expected here for the forseeable future. I hope we at least get a small break on Sunday, as I'm due to make a 24 mile cycle journey across south Essex for a birthday get-together! Once in the green belt, the only way is Essex... or, rather, cycling, ahem - Essex folk don't have local buses any more, 'cos apparently they don't need them!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        According to this lunchtime's forecast, there's no break in the current unsettled weather expected here for the forseeable future.
        Bloody hell
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• aeolium
          • Nov 2010

Why do they use that expression, "unsettled weather" for rain? The rain seems to have settled in here for weeks now, if not months.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
            Why do they use that expression, "unsettled weather" for rain? The rain seems to have settled in here for weeks now, if not months.
            Because the sun deceptively keeps coming out between deluges, I suppose.

Maybe the weather persons should announce, "The unsettled recipients of this weather will continue to be unsettled for the forseeable future".

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              I hope we at least get a small break on Sunday, as I'm due to make a 24 mile cycle journey across south Essex for a birthday get-together!
              I do hope you don't have to cycle back in the dark after a few It's rained on and off today, we are promised better Wednesday (just low cloud before it rains again) but it's not too warm. It's just so totally depressing, dispiriting and disgustingly dismally DANK!!
              Personally I can't wait for Winter and some bright frosty days.

Comment

• handsomefortune

disgustingly dismally DANK!! tis too. AND drowned plants, loads of weeeds, and unripe figs.

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                And, Culpepper's Herbal says about garden rocket:
                "All this kind of rockets are martial plants. This species is celebrated against diseases of the lungs. The juice is excellent in asthmas, and a syrup made of it in all oppressions and stuffings up of the breast: as also against inveterate coughs. Some have ascribed it to a provocative quality to venery, but this seems upon too slight grounds!"
                thanks very much for that anna - had to look up 'venery' ............i have my rocket seed pods next to my welsh poppy pods in the kitchen, and chucked in a few welsh poppy seeds in a curry by mistake ...but i am still here, so they can't be toxic...but poppy's not as hot/peppery obviously.

my mum's got lots of this growing up a new trellis, it looks exquisite - from another century.
                http://www.botanical.com/botanical/m...bryeur76-l.jpg your post prompted me to look bryony up, and apparently it's quite toxic, (so i'm wondering what mum's got planned exactly)!

is bryony alba hard to get rid of, (once everything else has got going on her trellis) do you know? it grew like stink ...which was handy.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                  [B]your post prompted me to look bryony up, and apparently it's quite toxic, (so i'm wondering what mum's got planned exactly)!
                  The French call the root Navet du Diable (Devil's Turnip), from its violent and dangerous action. I do hope your Mum goes not have small children or grazing cattle in her garden. Although, it's very pretty with the berries but very poisonous. In the woods here you can find wonderful garlands of them for Christmas decorations. How odd that Bryony became a Christian name for girls, why not call your daughter Poison Ivy instead? The roots, evidently, were manipulated by fakers to resemble mandrakes, and the poor suckers that bought them as mandrakes instead of staying up all night in passion were overcome with vomiting for days on end and possibly death.
                  I hope no-one is having their tea.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                    [i have my rocket seed pods next to my welsh poppy pods in the kitchen, and chucked in a few welsh poppy seeds in a curry by mistake ...but i am still here, so they can't be toxic...

etc etc

Everything is explained........

Comment

• marthe

The French call the root Navet du Diable (Devil's Turnip), from its violent and dangerous action. I do hope your Mum goes not have small children or grazing cattle in her garden. Although, it's very pretty with the berries but very poisonous. In the woods here you can find wonderful garlands of them for Christmas decorations. How odd that Bryony became a Christian name for girls, why not call your daughter Poison Ivy instead? The roots, evidently, were manipulated by fakers to resemble mandrakes, and the poor suckers that bought them as mandrakes instead of staying up all night in passion were overcome with vomiting for days on end and possibly death.
                      I hope no-one is having their tea.
                      I've never seen Bryony growing over here. My English gardening friend has a sister in England named Bryony (not Poison Ivy ha ha). We've got our own noxious weeds, Poison Ivy being one of them. Datura stramonium aka Jimson Weed, Devil's Trumpet is another. Japanese Bittersweet, Agepodium (Gout/Bishop's Weed) are others. Poison Ivy is a real pest and has nasty cousins: Poison Sumac, and Poison Oak. Mangos are a distant cousin and can cause skin irritation to those who are sensitive to the volatile oils contained in other Rhus plants.

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

It's just so totally depressing, dispiriting and disgustingly dismally DANK!!
                        Same here. Another dire day. As if there's not enough gloom about we have to have yet another dreadful summer. This is really getting people down now.
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                          Same here. Another dire day.
                          Dank. Dire. Depressing. Dispiriting. All the Ds apply in London too

Comment

• marthe

I hope the nice weather we're having now finds it way across the Atlantic to chase away the 4Ds. There's nothing worse than having long stretches of gloomy weather. National holiday tomorrow. There will be many cookouts, barbecues, picnics consisting of clam boils, watermelon, corn-on-the-cob galore followed by fireworks after dark to mark the 4th of July.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

I hope the nice weather we're having now finds it way across the Atlantic to chase away the 4Ds. There's nothing worse than having long stretches of gloomy weather. National holiday tomorrow. There will be many cookouts, barbecues, picnics consisting of clam boils, watermelon, corn-on-the-cob galore followed by fireworks after dark to mark the 4th of July.
                              Wishing you a fun Fourth Marthe... I was just listening to Classical Minnesota Public Radio, and they were flagging up their Independence Day concerts etc so I shall join in a little by listening to one of the US Classical Stations. I rather like KUSC from SoCal (for personal reasons). What's your best local classical station - or are you solely a Radio 3 addict?

Comment

• mangerton
                                • Nov 2010

Well, marthe, I hope you all have a fine time, and that you all get as high as flags.

I'm looking forward to Scottish Independence Day!

On Topic weather note: This is the first day it hasn't rained in Dundee for....................... oh, seems like weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X