X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Great stories jlw - keep 'em coming pleeease?!

Do you know these films?

That little film clip recalled my parents' cat Ginger - a half-Persian tom, very territorial towards our back garden. There were endless battles with next-door's plain black and white, Kitty Neale, lasting over years. Then one day my father noticed the two of them quietly facing each other, just outside the kitchen entrance. After a few moments, with no reaction from Ginger, Kitty cautiously stood up, walked into the kitchen with Ginger following - this was unbelievable! - and over to Ginger's bowl of water, where she took a few sips, turned around and walked out, with Ginger following. As Dad said, it couldn't have been clearer - Ginger had called a truce, and told Kitty, "Come inside and have a drink"!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      That little film clip recalled my parents' cat Ginger - a half-Persian tom, very territorial towards our back garden. There were endless battles with next-door's plain black and white, Kitty Neale, lasting over years. Then one day my father noticed the two of them quietly facing each other, just outside the kitchen entrance. After a few moments, with no reaction from Ginger, Kitty cautiously stood up, walked into the kitchen with Ginger following - this was unbelievable! - and over to Ginger's bowl of water, where she took a few sips, turned around and walked out, with Ginger following. As Dad said, it couldn't have been clearer - Ginger had called a truce, and told Kitty, "Come inside and have a drink"!
      This may well result in a whole new thread

Comment

• marthe

Originally posted by salymap View Post
        Nothing to report in my garden except weeds, although rogue Buddlia, Weigelia and Dogwood are still there, also some rose cuttings I took when my friend next door died and the new neighbours paved over her front garden. I am quite lucky with rose cuttings; put 6 in a pot and 2 or 3 with take and flower.

Much cooler today and hope back pain will lessen as it doesn't like the heat, contrary to belief.
        Saly, let us know how the rose cuttings turn out. What a good way to remember your friend and her garden (shame on new neighbours for paving it over.) My sister, an avid gardener, and I are always pinching slips of plants from here and there, making cuttings and planting them in our gardens.

I hope your back pain has lessened and that the heat is bearable in Kent. it's just getting hot here in Newport and I'm frantically searching for summer clothes and screens to put in the windows. The bugs are out in full force too. There are aphids (green fly) on the roses and mosquitoes in the shrubbery! I've just treated the cats for fleas and ticks too.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Well, at least we got the flowers in! Mum and I planted 18 pelargoniums and 12 Stocks in two different beds on successive evenings, whereupon Mum fell asleep in an armchair while I did email/cat/dishes/dinner/dinnerdishes... oh, Mum awoke to EAT the dinner of course... late dishes are always easier after a bottle of Prosecco (come on, give us a break, Mum had at least a glass and a half..)

Duvet day today after 2 exhaustingly busy days... everything from GP visits to Isa transfers with the giggling bank staff (admin confusion, J filled in wrong form, then staff noticed that 2 forms contradicted each other... - oh, don't ask...)
          Got up at 14:00, Mizzy rarely moves before I do (but has the precious knack of coming on the bed without waking me, unless cuddles are demanded), then wants chewy sticks and catmilk to start her day. My desperation-coffee has to wait. Birds all over the lawn, "what about us"? But Tigger rarely comes out in the rain, so the nocturnal blocking/unblocking catflap routine felt a little more routine than usual.

The day's dishes now lie between me and bed... not to mention interactive cats.

PS. - lovely Simon's Cat clips Ams, thanks! Very true to "The Spirit of Cat". Spiritus Cattus, perhaps...?
          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 01-06-12, 01:19.

Comment

• amateur51

After a truly vile cold, grey and soggy morning suddenly the afternoon brings bright sunshine & a dramatic rise in temperature, very pleasanty, garden full of insects and fledgling sparrows making an awesome racket
            Last edited by Guest; 02-06-12, 15:58. Reason: repetition

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

After a truly vile cold, grey and soggy morning suddenly the afternoon brings bright sunshine & a dramatic rise in temperature, very pleasanty, garden full of insects and fledgling sparrows making an awesome racket
              So that's where all the sparrows have gone!

I feel sorry for all those celebrating Her Queenliness tomorrow with street parties...

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Just got the promised rain from the low approaching the SW, hope it delivers enough to fill the water-butt but disappears in time to accommodate our outdoor charity gig tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

I feel sorry for all those celebrating Her Queenliness tomorrow with street parties...
                  I am attending an Event upon a vessel moored next to Tower Bridge tomorrow afternoon. I believe that the first boats in the "Flotilla" won't get there till 4pm. It seems from the forecast that morning rain tomorrow may have dwindled to something lighter by then...

Would you concur, S_A? Better arrive later than earlier?
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

I had 16 sparrers in Feb for the RSPB count, S_A

I'm The Bird Man of Willesden Green - but I concede that Burt Lancaster does have the edge over me in a vest

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      I am attending an Event upon a vessel moored next to Tower Bridge tomorrow afternoon. I believe that the first boats in the "Flotilla" won't get there till 4pm. It seems from the forecast that morning rain tomorrow may have dwindled to something lighter by then...

Would you concur, S_A? Better arrive later than earlier?
                      TBH I wouldn't want to bet on it, Caliban. With slow-moving frontal systems, a few miles out either way with forecasting accuracy can be the difference.

Comment

• Anna

I had 16 sparrers in Feb for the RSPB count, S_A
                        I have dozens of them, and my goodness, they never stop chirruping and quarrelling and bouncing around from about 4am in the morning. It's been grey, dull, drizzly this morning but not cold. There is a bbq on the green at the end of the road tomorrow, I suspect that will be rained off as heavy rain is forecast. Apart from that, and a sort of picnic in the park, I think the Jubilee will pass here almost unnoticed. As did the Torch Relay through Wales as far as the media were concerned. One picture was posted in the National Press, just the one, entering Wales, and then another when Chris Bonington took it up Snowdon.

And, talking about Olympics, it seems Visa have asked for rival cash machines to be closed down (they are official sponsors), beer is to be £7.30 a pint and a glass of wine £4.80 but at least Macdonalds have said 100% of their chickens will be British, as against the 10% they originally said. It just seems such a rip-off and now Thomas Cook are selling their hospitality packages for a mere £99. It all seems a disaster waiting to happen, what with workers being told to bike it rather than tube it and Civil Serpants told to work at home for the six weeks ..........

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Looking forward to the boat thing tomorrow ?

That'll teach them to make such big cuts to the coastguard..........

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            but at least Macdonalds have said 100% of their chickens will be British, as against the 10% they originally said.
                            Then my hope is that the world will have gone vegetarian if I were ever to be reincarnated as a British chicken!

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            Civil Serpants
                            Wonder what Lat1 will think of that if he sees this!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              Looking forward to the boat thing tomorrow ?

That'll teach them to make such big cuts to the coastguard..........
                              Quick! - Somebody phone Dyno-Rod!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

Quick! - Somebody phone Dyno-Rod!

Look, it's the coalition floating out of the windows like a river pageant of turds ..................make for the Handel

Comment

Working...
                                X