X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Morning ams, one of my favourite London parks, I've spend some good lunch times there; however I also like the Embankment Gardens with lovesick maidens draped round the statue of Sir Arthur Sullivan. Happy memories of Kensington Gardens too. And the BBC football team playing in Regent's Park. I miss the good side of London, theatres, concerts, parks, exploring the old roads in the City. Make the most of things while you can. The Ancient One x

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

Definitely nippy out there t
      I got on my bike to fetch a paper (+ thickish jacket) and saw a man wearing shorts and T shirt, who must have been deceived by the lovely sunny sky before setting off - only 5 degrees here in Wilts.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
        blown from a pretty tree [that I can't name }
        If anybody asks, just say "prunus", saly. And when they give you a curous look, just say, "Well, that's what an expert told me!" "Prunus" should just about cover it for all those blossomming apple/pear/crab apple/cherry trees. Blackthorns and (later) hawthorns come under a different family grouping, which I'd have to check for.

Comment

• amateur51

Morning ams, one of my favourite London parks, I've spend some good lunch times there; however I also like the Embankment Gardens with lovesick maidens draped round the statue of Sir Arthur Sullivan. Happy memories of Kensington Gardens too. And the BBC football team playing in Regent's Park. I miss the good side of London, theatres, concerts, parks, exploring the old roads in the City. Make the most of things while you can. The Ancient One x
          Hello Ancient One

Sir Neville is a lot older than you so enjoys the title of The Ancient Marriner, I s'pose

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

I wonder if that's the statue I have mixed memories about. Back in the 1970s I attended many demos which used to end up in Trafalgar Square. Afterwards we used to go to the Lyons Corner House next door to Charing X station for a quick cuppa before making it down to the Embankment, where we would be picked up for our return coach journeys.

On this particular occasion I was in charge of our banner. "You're not bringing that in here", the man on the door at Lyons told me. "Not to worry", I told my comrades, "I know just the place to hide it". The place was halfway along the Embankment Gardens, behind a tall statue/plinth thingumy with a pavement-edged rill running out to a round pool towards the main pathway. It was dark, and, as I went to jump across the rill to gain access to the hidden area behind the statue, my foot caught in a perimeter wire running about a foot off the ground, and I went headlong into the pool! The comrades wondered what on earth had happened to me when I rejoined them, covered in green slime as I was!

I always think of that incident whenever I attend the open-air lunchtime jazz concerts held in the Embankment Gardens in August!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              I wonder if that's the statue I have mixed memories about. Back in the 1970s I attended many demos which used to end up in Trafalgar Square. Afterwards we used to go to the Lyons Corner House next door to Charing X station for a quick cuppa before making it down to the Embankment, where we would be picked up for our return coach journeys.

On this particular occasion I was in charge of our banner. "You're not bringing that in here", the man on the door at Lyons told me. "Not to worry", I told my comrades, "I know just the place to hide it". The place was halfway along the Embankment Gardens, behind a tall statue/plinth thingumy with a pavement-edged rill running out to a round pool towards the main pathway. It was dark, and, as I went to jump across the rill to gain access to the hidden area behind the statue, my foot caught in a perimeter wire running about a foot off the ground, and I went headlong into the pool! The comrades wondered what on earth had happened to me when I rejoined them, covered in green slime as I was!

I always think of that incident whenever I attend the open-air lunchtime jazz concerts held in the Embankment Gardens in August!
              A wonderful story, nicely told S_A

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

I'm not sure S-A. Sullivan is almost as far along as the Savoy Hotel behind/above it, if you know what I mean. What a photo you would have made with your green slime

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Hello Ancient One

Sir Neville is a lot older than you so enjoys the title of The Ancient Marriner, I s'pose
                  I haven't spoken to him since I chased down Dean Street with his briefcase, which he had left in the Breitkopf office. He's 88 on the 15th April, how time flies.

Comment

• amateur51

I haven't spoken to him since I chased down Dean Street with his briefcase, which he had left in the Breitkopf office. He's 88 on the 15th April, how time flies.
                    Those were the days, eh salymap, chasing men? You and me both!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Those were the days before VIPs left briefcases on buses and trains, and now laptops.

Comment

• mangerton
                        • Nov 2010

There's snow in Dundee this morning, only about 2 cm, but it's still falling heavily. I believe there's more further north. The roads have been treated, so I don't expect any major problems, just the nuisance of removing the snow from the car.

Comment

• salymap
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

All the best of British luck to members in Scotland, not forgetting the Borders and Tyne and Wear [?] who are due for thick snow if the Beeb are to be believed.

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

No snow yet but very wet and cold on the Wear.........we may have the joys to come!!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Sleet/snow in Glasgow at the moment. All the spring flowers that appeared suddenly in last week's unseasonably warm weather are now regretting making an early appearance!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                                • Nov 2010

Goodness me, ams, surely you haven't given up? (although they would presumably have to go a bit slower these days, to give you a chance of catching them )

Comment

Working...
                                X