Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

proper job Ams51....glory ass here too....DH just passed my window....
    bong ching

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
      proper job Ams51....glory ass here too....DH just passed my window....
      He'll be going back for a nap after being at his post from about 05:30 this morning - love his dedication & enthusiasm - 75 years old, two heart attacks, still smoking like a trooper and still interested & still creating afresh.

Comment

• amateur51

This is the stage the hornbeams will be at by the end of the week, I reckon

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

When my coz asked me why I wasn't wearing gloves I realised we are in a cold spot here. He said in his nearby garden it was 50F [10c ?] this morning at 10 am. We are nearer the sea and Thames Estuary Isuppose than in the centre of London.

I hope we soon get someof that hot sun I keep hearing about. Anyway,Forsythia, Dogwood, overgrown roses and weeds are all showing signs oflife, which is good.

Comment

• marthe

It's COLD here this morning. The sun is bright but the strong north wind makes it feel like the winter we never had this year! The wind blew down a utility line of some sort. Someone from the utility company is coming out to fix it. Obviously it's not affecting my computer. Last night's sky was quite splendid. Jupiter, Venus, Mars, and Saturn were all visible. Orion is still up too. The next full moon will be the Paschal Moon just before Passover and Easter.

Comment

• marthe

Stormy weather today, quite literally! We're having welcome, but cold, rain. Garden transplants will be happy and so will I because I won't have to lug the watering can around the garden for a few days! Again, last night we had a splendid show of 4 planets and a crescent moon. It will be cloudy tonight.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

It reached 22 C in central London today, (72 F); only 19 C up here on the heights of S London, but that felt warm enough for sunbathing, and I didn't actually come inside until 6.30. By no means record-breaking stuff - the March records have already been broken up north and for Scotland. It's predicted to get much much colder by Saturday - back to the seasonal norm - but still no rain! - and anyone who watched last night's climate change programme on BBC 2 will have been forewarned of the likelihood of extreme veerings between heavy rainfall and drought for the forseeable future.

Comment

• marthe

S-A, the warm weather does seem to be up north. Nephew and family up near Wigan posted pics of their BBQ the other evening. The children were running around out in the garden wearing sundresses and shorts. Here it's 40s and rainy which is typical for this time of year in New England.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

The Hawthorns down my lane must have 100 Dunnocks lurking within....I say lurking, actually they are quite friendly and you can easily get within 6 feet of them....so lovely....house-sparrow with a lovely warm shade of grey for a breast....Excepting a Kingfisher I saw a couple of weeks ago and a pair of Gossanders, that about as exotic as we get here....

Hardly any Magpies here....but lots of Rooks and Jackdaws....just a few miles down the road ....loads of Magpies ????

bong ching

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

... no dunnocks in W12, sadly.

But lots of blue tits, some robins, goldfinch, blackbirds, several magpies, jays, rooks, parakeets, and this morning a skein of fifteen geese flying in a perfect V-formation.

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

I love seeing the geese in formation. They fly from the Danson lake about a mile from me, due east to somewhere west of me. It may be a big estate outside Eltham or somewhere further on.

Otherwise pesky pigeons, sparrows, a few blue tits, nothing much.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post

Otherwise pesky pigeons, sparrows, a few blue tits, nothing much.
                          saly - lucky you, to have sparrows! I hardly ever see them here now, and yet in my childhood they were omnipresent. I miss them.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            saly - lucky you, to have sparrows! I hardly ever see them here now, and yet in my childhood they were omnipresent. I miss them.
                            So do I. Sparrows are fun and cute. However there is a lovely pair of blackbirds nesting in the creeper at the back of mine, the male in particular is splendid and fearless, sitting on the wall eyeing me if I go out there, as well as scanning the neighbouring lawns, and then pouncing on some insect or worm and taking it back to the nest. A couple of robins nest in the same creeper...
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Lovely weather down here, once more!

The students at the school, where i work, gave their all and more at the Students' Showcase Concert. The Headmaster congratulated us on the high standard of plying, this in no small part was given by the Assist DoM and Dom to! I received a mention i dispatches as well! Well done to the solists of the evening for a brilliant performances of their chosen work!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• salymap
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Do any of the ornithologists know why sparrows are scarce? Only blue tits seem as capable of a good scrap,
                                sparrows have always been here and I'm glad they still are. They take all the peanuts from the hanging cage and the greedy pigeons wait below for the bits that drop. As it should be IMO.
                                I've missed the fieldfares and redwings in the last year or so though.

Comment

Working...
                                X