Stormy Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Like eightobs we also get 'inversion' and it's just those conditions this morning, nip in the air, beautiful blue sky and the valleys shrouded in thick white mist as you look down from higher ground. At 7.30 this morning a hot-air balloon slowly taking off and rising above it.

Comment

• aeolium
      • Nov 2010

Last days of the County Championship [cricket]....
      Yes, eighth, and a great finale it is too. My county Glamorgan is playing in the first day-night game with a pink ball at Canterbury and unsurprisingly the Cricinfo reports talked about spectators being 'frozen solid' as play ended round about 9.30. i don't know what Canterbury was like last night but it was pretty chilly here.

Always a bit sad when the cricket season ends, but there are some lovely autumn colours here and a glorious if cool day.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

struth had to wear my old cardy to bed last night and only one window open .... have to have the house as open to the air as i can stand .... made promise to self to clear out the yard before autumn is too deep ... all the plants are in pots and very few survive the winter ... any thoughts for a winter planting in a not too well lit yard for the winter and spring months?
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Will Croydon be looking any prettier than usual now that autumn is here? I doubt it - but just about to find out!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Absolutely gorgeous cycle ride through central London this morning - perfect blue skies, dappled sun through the trees in the park, the lightest breeze, fresh clean air...
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• marthe

Yesterday was sunny and balmy with temps in the 80s F! Cooler today with clouds and a threat of showers later. Tomorrow we're up to Vermont through Monday for a British car rally. It's usually a bit cooler up there in the Mad River Valley/Stowe area with nighttime temps at or below freezing. Days can be gloriously warm and sunny though!

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Absolutely gorgeous cycle ride through central London this morning - perfect blue skies, dappled sun through the trees in the park, the lightest breeze, fresh clean air...
                ... uguale, uguale, in Hammersmith, as I indulged in some local flânerie... and I hope it will last until tomorrow, when I am planning a Matthew Arnold pèlerinage to Painshill Park in Cobham... hoping for some early autumn tints in this wonderful Chas: Hamilton landscape garden...

Comment

• mercia
                  • Nov 2010

will you sit in the tent?

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... mercia! - I did last time... I expect me and my party will do so again -by the time you reach the Tent you're pretty exhausted, and in need of a sit down!

I do recommend Painshill to them as haven't yet had a thought to visit it...

Last edited by vinteuil; 15-09-11, 15:20.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                      • Nov 2010

Cycled down to Greenwich Foot Tunnel (Islof Dogs) at 10pm last night to find it closed for works. These works are spasmodic and they are not well advised at the tunnel or online.

Well, I was faced with the prospect of an added 11 miles to my journey (via Tower Bridge).

No thank you, I thought. I'll take my chances on the DLR (where bicycles are very much verbotten).

Sure enough, when I got down to the platform there was an announcment on the tannoy advising that I couldn't bring a bicycle on the train.

I ignored this.

A guard was then sent down to sort me out.

I advised him civilly of my dilemma and my intention to take my bike on the DLR for a 50 second stop at what was a very quite time.

He told me that would not be permissable.

I advised him that that was my plan and that they could have the police called but it would really be a waste of resources and time, as I'd be through in no time.

He had words with his supervisor as the train came, which I then boarded (very few passengers), then there was talk of holding the train, instructions to which the driver or the computer payed no heed.

So, I was through and out the other the other side with no disruption or delay to anyone.

Comment

• mercia
                        • Nov 2010

brave man
                        anyone in a uniform I meekly obey

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                          • Nov 2010

I very much didn't want to be awkward. I simply wanted to get home.

Mind you, points up the folly of staff sat in control rooms rather than actually on the platforms as a presence.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... uguale, uguale, in Hammersmith, as I indulged in some local flânerie... and I hope it will last until tomorrow, when I am planning a Matthew Arnold pèlerinage to Painshill Park in Cobham... hoping for some early autumn tints in this wonderful Chas: Hamilton landscape garden...
                            Last time I was in Hammersmith, I treated myself at the William Morris Bar. What William Morris would have made of it, even my choicest Anglo-Saxon couldn't dream up!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              Vinteuil, loitering within tent

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                Last time I was in Hammersmith, I treated myself at the William Morris Bar. What William Morris would have made of it, even my choicest Anglo-Saxon couldn't dream up!
                                ... awful, ain't it? - but we do have places here that Willum might have liked. Even (... out of season ... ) The Doves by the river - a biscuit's toss from where he lived, and others of his tribe (Emery Walker etc)

Comment

Working...
                                X