• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Welcome back - I think Chandler's Ford might be a bit less risky :-)
    Oh, I dunno - the Fisher's Pond gets ever-so choppy at this time of year!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
      Well, I'm back!

It took 30 hours to pass - 30 hours of continuous winds gusting to 140 mph or so. Almost constant rain, too. But - no damage, no flooding and the electricity was back within 24 hours - clearly last year provided much practice!
      That's good to know - I had thought you weren't quite out of it yet.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Great to hear Pabs. Now we have to wait and see how Scotland and the north of England fare?
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
          Great to hear Pabs. Now we have to wait and see how Scotland and the north of England fare?
          Yes, it hasn't taken that typhoon long to get here!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Typhoon HagWhippet?

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Rough night oop 'ere, nothing like pabs, but...........dreech and nasty all the same.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Welcome back - I think Chandler's Ford might be a bit less risky :-)
                Colder, though.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  That's good to know - I had thought you weren't quite out of it yet.

Well, it crawled across the Philippines, but it passed us eventually and headed onward towards other lucky people.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Typhoon HagWhippet?
                    That's apt. 'Hagupit' means 'whip-crack' in tagalog.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                      That's apt. 'Hagupit' means 'whip-crack' in tagalog.
                      Rather good thyat Sunny here at the moment. At night it was 8, now 6C!!
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

It seems N&W Scotland is being very badly hit due to the "weather bomb". I hadn't heard of that description but it seems it's Explosive cyclogenesis - known colloquially as a "weather bomb" - is when a storm intensifies as the pressure at its centre drops rapidly (by more than 24 millibars in 24 hours)
                        According to the online Daily Depress apart from the 'bomb' effect we are to get 6" of snow, gales worse that 1987, a White Christmas, floods and other worse case scenarios. Here it's 8° with a blustery souwesterly.

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                        For those of you able to see Jupiter, I expect that a telescope or even a pair of decent binoculars should make it possible to see some of its larger moons.
                        Anyone got recommendations for a budget pair of binoculars plus a book of star charts? I find I know the common ones (like the Plough) but find it difficult to get my bearings around the whole sky sometimes! Also, if you look at Jupiter around 11pm, then draw a horizontal line from it to the SE and drop down about an inch, is that very bright star Sirius?

Comment

• alycidon
                          • Feb 2013

The Great Glen, which is where I live, is roughly North central, and we sometimes catch the weather predicted for the West Coast, while at other times we might get that from the East. Drumnadrochit seems to enjoy its own micro-climate and very often misses the rather extreme conditions which are going on around us.

Last night, for example, we were told to batten down the hatches because it was going to be extremely windy in NW Scotland, but we didn't hear a thing, and everything was still when we woke at 7.00am. Heavy rain since then, but wind? Not at all.
                          Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Whereas we were hit by the gales at around 2.30 this morning here which had not been forecast, accompanied by vivid lightning but no audible thunder, as this was wiped out by the roar of the wind - something I'd read about as happening in tropical hurricanes! It all suddenly calmed down about an hour later and I managed to get back to sleep. And now it's blowing at around 20-25 mph, I estimate, temperature 7 C, and the sky cloudless, atmosphere clear, and the sunshine remarkably brilliant, given we're only 11 days to go to the winter equinox.

Comment

• mangerton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                              It seems N&W Scotland is being very badly hit due to the "weather bomb". I hadn't heard of that description but it seems it's Explosive cyclogenesis - known colloquially as a "weather bomb" - is when a storm intensifies as the pressure at its centre drops rapidly (by more than 24 millibars in 24 hours)
                              According to the online Daily Depress apart from the 'bomb' effect we are to get 6" of snow, gales worse that 1987, a White Christmas, floods and other worse case scenarios. Here it's 8° with a blustery souwesterly.

Anyone got recommendations for a budget pair of binoculars plus a book of star charts? I find I know the common ones (like the Plough) but find it difficult to get my bearings around the whole sky sometimes! Also, if you look at Jupiter around 11pm, then draw a horizontal line from it to the SE and drop down about an inch, is that very bright star Sirius?
                              Not too bad in Dundee today; the west seems to have been worst affected, but there don't seem to have been too many horror stories so far.

All I would say is that Pabmusic's experiences remind us that (in spite of the Wail and Depress) we don't really have much to complain about.

Sorry, I can't help with bins (I got mine in a present years ago) or star charts. I have free apps for my phone and ipad, and they are brilliant; I just wish I could get some proper dark around here.

Your star sounds very like Sirius, Anna. Orion's Belt points down and left to it. If it barks and wags its tail, that's definitely it.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                                If it barks and wags its tail, that's definitely it.
                                You cannot be Siri ... well, you get the idea.

Very windy overnight and this morning. Lots of sleet and very cold.

Comment

Working...
                                X