Stormy Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

I kept having a quick look at Le Tour - and wondered if placenames such as Mytholmroyd, Oughtibridge, Midhopestones, etc., would test the French commentators' pronunciation! Then I came in and watched the last half hour of it, fascinating to see so much (unknown to me) countryside and from the air. It seems the whole of Yorkshire turned out, quite a major boost for the local economy of course and it all seems to have gone very well. I imagine tomorrow, Cambridge to London, S_A and Cali will turn out to cheer them into London.

Weatherwise, forecast completely wrong again as rain promised from lunch onwards just didn't materialise and in fact the afternoon got better and better, although very windy.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

It'll probably be impossible to get near the race in London unless you camp out overnight, even if one were intending going along, Anna.

I had a once-in-a-lifetime weather experience as I was doing my evening walkabout just before eight: an aeroplane flying east to west through an intense shower hit by a lightning strike which then went right down to earth, about 2 miles to the north-east of here. I know aircraft are frequently struck, and normally there's little damage beyond a tiny puncture (unless it's a superstrike), but the whole context was most dramatic, the sky illuminated bright golden so everything appeared as if seen through an amber filter, and the rain hanging like orange curtains from the angriest cloud base I've ever seen.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

All this fus about Tour de FranAnglais, and it be all over in a flash!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

Mrs Pabs senior (mother-in-law) has just announced that the super-typhoon Florita is approaching! But a little reseach on the internet shows it's heading for Japan (!) and won't make landfall here. We'll just get wet (that has started already). (Btw, the Tour de France comes nowhere near.)

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            I don't know S. Yorks that well except for York City, never been to Sheffield, Leeds, etc
            Unless they've changed the boundaries again, York is in North Yorkshire and Leeds is in West Yorkshire. Ahem.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

S_A and Cali will turn out to cheer them into London.
              Sadly not - got FOUR decorators in today, found one selected colour was TOTALLY different on the wall from the samples/cards, so emergency rethinking and trip to Farrow & Ball called for!

Weatherwise, forecast completely wrong again
              Happily, Brummie Simon way off so far as regards July... Of course, there's a lot of month left..

So do we think he'll be proved right? Or will this be the case:

Any views from the barometer-tappers and sea-weed strokers?
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

What does BrummieSimon say?
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                  What does BrummieSimon say?
                  Ask no more, BBM:

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Shame!
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

No-one on here since yesterday, or rather day before?

Well had a great day seeing BBMJNR receiving his Law Degree yesterday! Never been to a graduation ceremony before. Very good it was too! Very nice good weather it was as well. Held at the Dome, Brighton.
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pabmusic
                        • May 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        ...Held at the Dome, Brighton.
                        I've played there! Friday Night is Music Night (did you know?). Congratulations to your boy.

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Congratulations to BBM jnr!

A much better day than expected here, very warm and sunny with hardly a cloud in the sky until later in the afternoon but a stiff breeze earlier in the day. None of the forecast rain came this far west.

Predictions of a 'dismal July' seem very wide of the mark, so far. It's been nothing spectacular, but some very pleasant days indeed. Can't complain.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                            Congratulations to BBM jnr!

A much better day than expected here, very warm and sunny with hardly a cloud in the sky until later in the afternoon but a stiff breeze earlier in the day. None of the forecast rain came this far west.

Predictions of a 'dismal July' seem very wide of the mark, so far. It's been nothing spectacular, but some very pleasant days indeed. Can't complain.
                            This is the second day that the weather here has been grey and this morning it's soggy too. Pretty dismal in my book

Comment

• Pabmusic
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              This is the second day that the weather here has been grey and this morning it's soggy too. Pretty dismal in my book
                              Likewise, Ams. Though I suspect we've been warmer! (26 degrees - low!)

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                This is the second day that the weather here has been brilliantly sunny and warm. Pretty orbtastic in my book! 24° yesterday, just under that today. Tuesday was wet though and a thunderstorm around lunchtime. All in all I think so far it's been a pretty satisfactory July following on from a wonderful June - no complaints here! Of course having said that no doubt it'll go downhill rapidly ......

Comment

Working...
                                X