Great day today! Absolutely fantastic!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
      Great picture, ts. I'm glad to see you got the good weather. The person who coined the saying, "There's no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothing." obviously wasn't a photographer.

Enjoy Pen-y-Ghent, ferney. It looks most picturesque from the train whenever I pass it on the scenic Settle to Carlisle line. 17.5 years is nothing. I've lived here 25 years, and there are still things I have to do.
      well quite. I have , as you can probably tell, been trying to come to terms with modern photography over recent months. For the first time I have begun to appreciate how much weather, light etc matters, although I suppose it should be pretty obvious really.

Anyway Mangers, , we followed your recommendation () and did the Mallaig to Fort William railway line. Not possible to do it on the stream train, but even on the regular service, it is a simply fabulous ride.Can't recommend it highly enough for anybody who finds themselves in that part of the world.

Mile after mile of views like this...............

Ok, enough photos from me already.

Ferney, hope you get do your walk this week, and the long wait has been worth it . Sounds like a great prospect.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• mangerton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Oh, not at all. I'm sure I speak for us all when I say if you've any more like these we'd love to see them. I'm delighted you enjoyed your visit, and haste ye back!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          ditto post #12333.
          Never tire of seeing pics like that ts,thanks.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Great photos, ts. I've never been to Scotland but scenery like that must make the long journey northwards really worthwhile.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• marthe

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              You have a extended weekend too Marthe?
              Yes we do BBM. Memorial Day (last Monday in May) and Labor Day (1st Monday in September) are Monday holidays. They mark the beginning and end of the summer season here in Newport. Weatherwise, we've had a mix of sun and cloud with temps a bit on the cool side. The HH is firing up the grille to barbecue a bit of beef. We have a young guest staying (nephew of my brother) to do a four-day sailing instructor's course so he can certify to teach sailing at his local yacht club in Massachusetts. We need to feed him up when he comes back after 10 hours of on-the-water and classroom instruction.

Comment

• Anna

Great day today! Absolutely fantastic!
                Not here, rain, strong winds, cold. Started to clear late afternoon, by 7.30pm it was a lovely blue sky ..... too late! This morning dawned bright and reasonably sunny, it seems it won't last all day. As to planting, I will see if S_A's Theory of Rapid Evaporation works.

Ferney, when I read your post about Pen-y-Ghent I thought - Oh good, he's come to Wales! Oops, it's the Cumbric language in Yorkshire that fooled me. Looks a lovely, if challenging, walk. Good luck with it. Teamsaint, thanks for pix, it does look idyllic.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  Great photos, ts. I've never been to Scotland but scenery like that must make the long journey northwards really worthwhile.
                  The journey from London to Glasgow or Edinburgh is good and after a night's rest you have the rest of the country to explore by rail at often very good prices.

And the people are friendly too

Where would you pick trains up from Pet? - it's well worth a visit

Comment

• mangerton
                    • Nov 2010

I would of course second amsy's post, and would put in a strong recommendation for the East Coast Main Line, sitting for preference on the RHS of the train, facing direction of travel. At no extra cost, this gives you great views of Peterborough, York and Durham Cathedrals. Further north, there are the bridges over the Tyne, Tweed, Forth and Tay, and the train keeps close to the coast for much of the route.

The natives are friendly, the beer is good, and eating haggis and deep-fried Mars bars is not compulsory.

OT, the weather here today is dry, and the sun is trying very hard to break through.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Rather overcast and drizzle, fine rain today!
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        The journey from London to Glasgow or Edinburgh is good and after a night's rest you have the rest of the country to explore by rail at often very good prices.

And the people are friendly too

Where would you pick trains up from Pet? - it's well worth a visit
                        Been meaning to go for years but you know how it is. Derby or Stoke on Trent are possible main line station choices both of which have easy access to the 'land of the mountain and the flood'. Perhaps I'd better go soon before I need a visa. The Senior Railcard just applied for should come in handy.
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• marthe

Rather overcast and drizzle, fine rain today!
                          Ditto. It was supposed to be warm and sunny today. So much for the holiday Monday. Oh well, this gives me a chance to catch up on Flower Show paper work.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Dull, wet and quite cold at 12 C over on this side of the UK, and it looks like we're in for another 2-3 days of this at least. It's back to hot cooked meals for me following 2 weeks' worth of salads.

Comment

• marthe

The HH will be providing hot cooked meals via the BBQ weather or not...salad on the side of course.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by marthe View Post
                                Ditto. It was supposed to be warm and sunny today. So much for the holiday Monday. Oh well, this gives me a chance to catch up on Flower Show paper work.
                                RTained nearly all day yesterday!!! Probably get more today.
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X