Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

The forewarning is for colder weather, beginning on Sunday, with a high pressure area building across the country on Friday moving into the North Sea, linking up with another over E Europe, blocking the advance of Atlantic lows, drawing cold dry air in from the south-east ahead of an occluded frontal system expected to stall across Wales, the Midlands and the SE, with a possibility of any precipitation turning to snow along the leading edge. At least the intense weather systems that have been plaguing us will be kept away in the mid-Atlantic, but we'll have to watch this one.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Oh dear!!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

Firstly, I meant to say before a thank you to Richard for your very informative post about coastal storms and shoreline management.
        Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        The forewarning is for colder weather, beginning on Sunday, with a high pressure area building across the country on Friday moving into the North Sea, linking up with another over E Europe, blocking the advance of Atlantic lows, drawing cold dry air in from the south-east ahead of an occluded frontal system expected to stall across Wales, the Midlands and the SE, with a possibility of any precipitation turning to snow along the leading edge. At least the intense weather systems that have been plaguing us will be kept away in the mid-Atlantic, but we'll have to watch this one.
        S_A, I believe that is what Simon said after Christmas although the tiiming has been brought forward a week? I notice he now has posted to beware of alarmist headlines from certain tabloids and dodgy forecasters - as he says 'it's Winter, sometimes it snows, sometimes it doesn't but snow doesn't mean 20' drifts!' It seems it's been the fifth warmest December ever - not once have I worn my gloves or woolly hat. I have a tub of geraniums by the front door (a very sheltered NE position with a protective overhang) and it's had flowers continually since the Summer, today I noticed three new fat flowerbuds on it. Today has been beautiful, a perfect day, blue skies and sunshine all the way, and what a difference it makes, everyone has been smiling and chatty, spirits have been truly lifted. Bound to be a frosty night though and temps dropping rapidly, barometer continues to climb. Fantastic pixs online Telegraph of the US side of Niagara falls frozen over.

Comment

• marthe

Dry, sunny, calm conditions continue. The temps are still below freezing but due to warm up and become wintery mix by the weekend. I'm glad that the Atlantic lows will not be bothering you anytime soon.

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

... on the bright side, I've noticed a distinct lengthening of the evenings since Monday 6th.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              Firstly, I meant to say before a thank you to Richard for your very informative post about coastal storms and shoreline management.

S_A, I believe that is what Simon said after Christmas although the tiiming has been brought forward a week? I notice he now has posted to beware of alarmist headlines from certain tabloids and dodgy forecasters - as he says 'it's Winter, sometimes it snows, sometimes it doesn't but snow doesn't mean 20' drifts!' It seems it's been the fifth warmest December ever - not once have I worn my gloves or woolly hat. I have a tub of geraniums by the front door (a very sheltered NE position with a protective overhang) and it's had flowers continually since the Summer, today I noticed three new fat flowerbuds on it. Today has been beautiful, a perfect day, blue skies and sunshine all the way, and what a difference it makes, everyone has been smiling and chatty, spirits have been truly lifted. Bound to be a frosty night though and temps dropping rapidly, barometer continues to climb. Fantastic pixs online Telegraph of the US side of Niagara falls frozen over.
              Anna. I'm wondering if Simon's either got it wrong or is in too much of a hurry in predicting cold weather, as this doesn't accord with the BBC forecast, showing normal or above-normal temperatures and not much rain until Monday at least. And what on earth, one wonders, is he on about, asking rhetorically if 1963 was a cold winter?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                ... on the bright side, I've noticed a distinct lengthening of the evenings since Monday 6th.
                Ah, Padraig, you are indeed a broth of a boy .... (Not sure what that means but I think it means you always sleep on the bright side!)

Anna. I'm wondering if Simon's either got it wrong or is in too much of a hurry in predicting cold weather, as this doesn't accord with the BBC forecast, showing normal or above-normal temperatures and not much rain until Monday at least. And what on earth, one wonders, is he on about, asking rhetorically if 1963 was a cold winter?
                Well, non-rhetorically speaking, as to 1963, it does seem to have been jolly cold, as did 1947 (plenty around here remember both) but I suspect Simon, as you said previously, has his own agenda.
                Personally, I predict snow on January 30th. You heard it here first.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Well well.....

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  Personally, I predict snow on January 30th. You heard it here first.
                  You brave lass, you!

Noted on my The Gift of Zen calendar for that date.

Comment

• Anna

You brave lass, you!
                    Noted on my The Gift of Zen calendar for that date.
                    Well, I am honoured to be on your calendar - we should write a book together entitled Zen and the Art of Weather Forecasting (That's after you take over as Controller of R3 as per your excellent post elsewhere!) Won't it be funny if my prediction comes true?

Frosty start, perishing cold first thing, a nice scene with mist hanging over the route of the river, in fact chilly all day but thankfully dry, clouding over rapidly and looking like rain now.
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-01-14, 17:46. Reason: put sentences in the right order!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Was rather cold, yesterday. Heating put on!! Had a beer as well. St peter's Ruby Red, rather good. Brewed by monks in Suffolk or Norfolk, one of the two!!
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        Had a beer as well. St peter's Ruby Red, rather good. Brewed by monks in Suffolk or Norfolk, one of the two!!
                        Monks - Suffolk - have you never heard what Cardinal Wolseley did there in 1520?

Oh, what a perfect day! Blue sky and sunshine from dawn to dusk (is it my imagination or are the evenings now drawing out? - it's certainly nowhere near dusk here), very pretty sky, lemon and palest blue, temp dropping like a stone, Jack Frost will sure to be here later on! But it is wonderful to have a proper, cold, bright, Winter day, certainly banishes the blues.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

Gloriass day....upt on moor....gold tinged mother of pearl clouds crowded around the sun....thought I'd found a fragment of blue Spode, but it was only one of those stickers you get on Satsuma....had Capercaillie - Mile Marbhaisg on my mmmmmmind [such that it is], so a hitch to my walk with an element of automatic pilot going on....Mykey charging about now the bracken is burnt sienna and flat (alert maniac energy]....
                          bong ching

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                            Gloriass day....upt on moor....gold tinged mother of pearl clouds crowded around the sun...
                            Likewise - I spent the late afternoon and sunset looking at a gold-tinged reedbed, with sound effects - squealing water rail, whistling wigeon, piping teal....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                              Likewise - I spent the late afternoon and sunset looking at a gold-tinged reedbed, with sound effects - squealing water rail, whistling wigeon, piping teal....
                              Ah the symphony of life! - complete with multimedia, and free!

Comment

• marthe

Stormy weather indeed here in Newport at the moment! Temps up well above freezing, strong winds and wind-driven rain pushing through. Quite foggy at the waterfront. We're supposed to have sunny weather tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X