Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
    Well, we have the first snow of winter in Drumnadrochit this morning. Not much, and may it stay that way.

I feel terribly guilty, having wished for snow all my life - but now I'm 70 and likely to damage myself if I go down, I'm not so keen!
    I feel similarly alycidon but I've found the trick, aside from wearing stout shoes/boots and lots of bump-absorbing clothing, is to keep your knees slightly bent when walking, almost so that you're apparently half-sitting. I find that I feel less wobbly that way - plus there's a shorter distance to fall

If you have to, be careful out there!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

Any new news ref Salymap....>>??
      bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        I feel similarly alycidon but I've found the trick, aside from wearing stout shoes/boots and lots of bump-absorbing clothing, is to keep your knees slightly bent when walking, almost so that you're apparently half-sitting. I find that I feel less wobbly that way - plus there's a shorter distance to fall

Quite a picture, I imagine!

I find it becomes automatic to take shorter steps over slippery surfaces. Much more tiring on the legs to walk that way though.

Comment

• Anna

Gosh, although not being aged nor infirm, slipping on ice terrifies me with resultant fractures. But, then I do tend to be a bit obsessive about calamities about to fall.
          However, it hasn't got above 6° here today, lovely and bright though, sun still had warmth, but now, probably dropped to around 3°, Jack Frost will be around!

I got home, ladders gone, flue gone, tiles neatly in place. However, I have asked Ron for a quote for another job (Lionel had previously pointed out I needed it seeing to and gave me a quote), so I guess Ron and Wyn will be back if they come in cheaper.

Nice quote from Ron the other day ‘You make proper tea, cannot be doing with that weak stuff where you can read the writing on the bottom of the mug’

Little did he know that in anticipation of various tradesmen visiting I had bought - weeks ago - a pack of PG Tips ‘The Strong One’

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Talking of tea bags, I found the PG Tips The Strong One, not to my liking, but, having said that, Traidcraft do an excellent tea, which in my humble opinion, is infinitely superior to PG! (And that's saying something, from an avid PG Tip fan!!).
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              Talking of tea bags, I found the PG Tips The Strong One, not to my liking, but, having said that, Traidcraft do an excellent tea, which in my humble opinion, is infinitely superior to PG! (And that's saying something, from an avid PG Tip fan!!).
              I agree with you about being disappointed by The Strong One, Bbm - I'm currently enjoying Clipper FairTrade tea bags. Where do you get your Tradecraft ones from?

Comment

• maestro267
                • Nov 2010

For about 5 minutes, it snowed this morning. First of the season. Somehow I doubt it'll be the last. But I'm prepared for it, should it arrive.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  Nice quote from Ron the other day ‘You make proper tea, cannot be doing with that weak stuff where you can read the writing on the bottom of the mug’

PG what???

Double-bag mug of Taylor's "Yorkshire", that's what you need... That's what I've got on the go right now, upon returning from a chilly ride home!
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Double-bag mug of Taylor's "Yorkshire", that's what you need... That's what I've got on the go right now, upon returning from a chilly ride home!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Tea's a mug's game

Minus 0.5 C out there - first frost of the "winter".

Comment

• alycidon
                        • Feb 2013

Thank you for that, AM. I have tried it in the privacy of my own home, and can see that it would work. But around the village? Nah! They would think that I was the village idiot! They probably think that, anyway!

Anyhow, the four inches plus of the white stuff forecast for today have not materialised. Just wet and windy.
                        Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

PG what???

Double-bag mug??!!

How the other half lives, innit. Mind the ocelots!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Double-bag mug??!!

How the other half lives, innit. Mind the ocelots!
                            Ocelot tea - is that like Civet coffee? (You wouldn't want to dunk, would you?)
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Unscheduled hail storm just now, very glad I was indoors for that

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                Ocelot tea - is that like Civet coffee? (You wouldn't want to dunk, would you?)
                                that'll bung up his Hightalian grinder

Comment

Working...
                                X