• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    isn't the "Therof" superfluous ?

everything cancelled down here. Trains resuming after Pentecost.............

I always thought it had a "therof" at the end ........ strange thing memory

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

I was asking about the grammar, rather than picking up on memories of comedy gold.

Great stuff
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        I was asking about the grammar, rather than picking up on memories of comedy gold.

Great stuff
        I had "remembered" it with a "thereof" at the end ........

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          Looking closely at the isobaric map on the BBC Weather website I can't see why this should be more than a gale, possibly a severe one in some places. 972 isn't all that low really. (Netherlands might get in in the neck though.) But a 1987-style faux-hurricane? The 24-hour news & media love getting excited about these things. And as for Health & Safety... RNLI declared today that we should "keep safe, and not go down to the sea to look at the big waves"..
          Size is not important. Nor depth. What matters is how steep is the pressure gradient - as represented by closeness of isobars - and on the model those isobars look very very close on the southern side of the depression's centre by British standards.

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

And as for Health & Safety... RNLI declared today that we should "keep safe, and not go down to the sea to look at the big waves"..
            and yet its remarkable how stupidly people still behave despite the warnings

lets stand on the harbour wall and dodge the waves - oh dear, one has knocked me into the sea and now I'm in big trouble

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              and yet its remarkable how stupidly people still behave despite the warnings

lets stand on the harbour wall and dodge the waves - oh dear, one has knocked me into the sea and now I'm in big trouble
              When I was about 8 or 9, everyone used to go down to the local slipway (on the Wirral coast) to watch the autumn storms. Kids like me went up to the sea wall to watch for the biggest waves, then run back as the wave hit and leapt up into watery spray, trying to outrun it. Often you would slip - only thing then was to lie flat and tuck your head in. After that drenching, you got up grinning and ran home - returning asap in dry clothes to play on. The parents would stand a little back from the sea wall, laughing at our play with the wind and the waves....

Kids next door to me now, never got wet or kept a pet. Stateoftheart ents centres to keep them happy.

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Which is presumably why kids, and mothers around here get fatter and fatter.

The old like me find it hard to gain weight though.

I fell out of our big trees quite often, the trick was to swing from one espalier arch to another. Great fun.
                Last edited by salymap; 28-10-13, 08:57. Reason: typo

Comment

• Flay
                  • Mar 2007

When I was about 8 or 9, everyone used to go down to the local slipway (on the Wirral coast) to watch the autumn storms. Kids like me went up to the sea wall to watch for the biggest waves, then run back as the wave hit and leapt up into watery spray, trying to outrun it. ...
                  Me too on Crosby beach!
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                    Me too on Crosby beach!
                    Now I went to Hoylake on Saturday
                    and the sand is now so high that i'd be surprised that the sea gets there apart from at exceptional high tides....
                    BUT I think I might have been there with Jayne in the 1970's ?
                    (I was the boy who rode his bike down the slipway into the sea for a laugh ..........)

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

In Ultima Thule it is a gently breezy a.m., occasional showers, sun at intervals. And there was less wind and rain overnight than two days ago when it really blew a gale and shovelled it down all or any of which, oddly enough, was not wall-to-wall featured on National Media. Sigh.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

The waves on all news reports appear to be quite insubstantial....while some trees may have fallen, and possibly a couple of fatalities, news finding it hard to find anything visually exciting to report really
                        bong ching

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                          • Mar 2013

Rather apocalyptic scenes in St. Albans. Lots of trees and huge branches down (always sad to see these vast limbs split off from these ancient trunks ), roads filled with tree debris, fences down...

I guess we got hit harder than elsewhere.

I'm also grateful for the efficiency of the weather warnings, which should be separated from the hyperbolic media coverage.
                          It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Flay
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                            The waves on all news reports appear to be quite insubstantial....while some trees may have fallen, and possibly a couple of fatalities, news finding it hard to find anything visually exciting to report really
                            I watched a reporter standing on a promenade with waves close behind informing us of coastguard warnings not to stand on promenades with waves close behind...
                            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                              Rather apocalyptic scenes in St. Albans. Lots of trees and huge branches down (always sad to see these vast limbs split off from these ancient trunks ), roads filled with tree debris, fences down...

I guess we got hit harder than elsewhere.

I'm also grateful for the efficiency of the weather warnings, which should be separated from the hyperbolic media coverage.
                              St Albans is in a relatively exposed location, which may explain your damage being as bad as it is, Throppers. I have to say it hasn't been quite as bad here as I'd feared, thank goodness that low was already occluding and was not likely to have intensified unless there had been a big influx of exceptionally cold air at the rear - the worst will have been feeling deprived of some rather lovely autumn tints.

Comment

• Anna

There was no storm here, as I said yesterday by 7pm the wind had dropped completely and the rain stopped. Overnight it certainly was rainy, and there has been some localised flooding of roads but generally it was a calm night and winds no higher than around 15-20mph. Decidedly chilly though and only 11.8° Not sure if the forecasters were being over-cautious or the storm changed course.

Comment

Working...
                                X