Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    It's a good year for my blue clematis, climbing a drainpipe almost up to the guttering. It has been there for about 40 years and hasn't flowered like this for ages.
    I'm very envious saly, I've failed dismally twice with clematis - I think it's just too windy here. My sister recently bought a 'patio' clematis which is in fact a small bush. They are for large tubs and reach around 18"-24" height and width, it's a beautiful blue/lilac, evidently happy in all aspects, so probably suitable for here. http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/clematis-bijou.html
    Ontopic, it was 20° at midnight, dropped to 16° at 6am, now 17.5° and mix of blue and cloud
    Last edited by Guest; 20-07-13, 08:47. Reason: added link

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Cerainly a welcome break from the hotr weather today. 20C! Looks like a mixed bag next week, with a spell of the wet stuff coming back, perhaps Tuesday!?!? I think next week is going to be rather humid, though.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Just had Met Office warning for heavy rain (thundery downpours) for just about the whole of Wales on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Comment

• mangerton
          • Nov 2010

19ºC here at the moment. Allegedly. It's a lovely sunny day - nothing like the BBC forecast - and I'm sure it's much more.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Still very warm here but cloudier and fresher. The massive build up of heat indoors though shows no sign of going anytime soon.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I have had free loft insulation since the last heatwave and am beginning to think it traps the summer heat now. 12 inches (in old money) must make a difference.

Opening doors doesn't seem to help but expect it's worth it forthe winter.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                I have had free loft insulation since the last heatwave and am beginning to think it traps the summer heat now. 12 inches (in old money) must make a difference.
                Opening doors doesn't seem to help but expect it's worth it forthe winter.
                According to a gov.uk leaflet, loft insulation keeps a house warmer in winter and cooler in the summer (because the rays can't get through the roof and work downwards? That seems logical)
                Mainly cloud here, not enough blue to make a matelot a pair of trousers, 23.6°, breezy but muggy. In view of promised rain as mentioned by Richard above I intended to cut the grass today .... but so far I haven't, nor most of the jobs on my To Do List.
                I did buy a load of fruit at the market, cherries; blueberries; strawberries; nectarines; grapes and tomatoes, all for £6.00 - plus he threw in a free cucumber! (I have no idea what all of that would have cost in a supermarket but a friend tells me she paid £2 for blueberries in M&S yesterday. In fact, if not for the market stall I wouldn't be eating so much fruit but I do support my local greengrocer on weekdays)
                Edit: I was wondering why I hadn't seen many wasps - it seems last year's stop-start Spring finished many of the Queens off so they will be in short supply this year.
                Last edited by Guest; 20-07-13, 16:10. Reason: extra sentence

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  I was wondering why I hadn't seen many wasps - it seems last year's stop-start Spring finished many of the Queens off so they will be in short supply this year.
                  Can't say I'm sorry to hear that! Do hope crane flies ('daddy long legs') are also in short supply. Can't abide either of them.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

I think our forecasters on the bored have just about got it right on the upcoming change this week - I just hope it's quick: slow thundery breakdowns are so ennervating! Lovely and fresh today - windows all wide open, 19 C; I've even had to put on a light jacket!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

You know what? One of MrsBBM's staff, only 17, called out to her and said can you remove this spider for me but the girl doesn't mind frogs or newts!! Love it!
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• marthe

Sorry I've been away for so long. There have been a few crises chez m. AND it's been beastly HOT here. I see from posts that the heat wave exists on both sides of the pond. Fingers crossed for promised cooler weather, though I'm not holding my breath on this. I can't help but notice from the sports news how brown the grass is up in Scotland where the Open is being played. Here in Newport it's summer as usual. Tennis week has come and gone, the Newport Music Festival is in full swing, and the Folk and Jazz Festivals are coming up soon. Stay cool everyone!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

A friend of mine in japan says they have a heatwave too. 35 - 37C!! Another scorcher today it looks!
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by marthe View Post
                            Sorry I've been away for so long. There have been a few crises chez m. AND it's been beastly HOT here. I see from posts that the heat wave exists on both sides of the pond. Fingers crossed for promised cooler weather, though I'm not holding my breath on this. I can't help but notice from the sports news how brown the grass is up in Scotland where the Open is being played. Here in Newport it's summer as usual. Tennis week has come and gone, the Newport Music Festival is in full swing, and the Folk and Jazz Festivals are coming up soon. Stay cool everyone!
                            You, too, marthe - good to hear from you again.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Sorry, I forgot to mention to welcome Marthe back!! Welcome back Marthe! Hope all is ok now!
                              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

A lot cooler today,plenty of cloud,lovely morning for a long walk with Harry,Alkan Esquisses on the i pod.

Comment

Working...
                                X