X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    But why are the Black Mountains almost continually hazy? i.e., when looking across to them they are very rarely clearly defined and standing out from the sky. It cannot be pollution can it? (And it's not my eyes, as sometimes they are outstandingly clear - but always when I don't have the camera with me)

I'm sure you'll be grateful, when we are all moaning about the heat, that you're a couple of degrees cooler!! However, I'm sure S_A will come up with a good forecast for you and anton.
    Brummie Simon's on some jolly in W Wales at the mo', so we're not getting detailed forecasts region-by-region right now, but I think I can safely say Anton and Mangs are guaranteed warm and pretty sunny weather over the next few days, once that lingering weak front is out of the way.

Comment

• mangerton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Brummie Simon's on some jolly in W Wales at the mo', so we're not getting detailed forecasts region-by-region right now, but I think I can safely say Anton and Mangs are guaranteed warm and pretty sunny weather over the next few days, once that lingering weak front is out of the way.

Excellent! I'll make sure there's plenty of ice in the freezer.

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Is there a new flight-path across Kent and SE London?. A regular plane, heading West from here every few minutes. Perhaps it's because it's so quiet atm that I notice them-not that I'm complaining about that

A lovely day here though with a slight breeze.

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Many thanks S_A we have lift off.......a lovely evening....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            Many thanks S_A we have lift off.......a lovely evening....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
              Is there a new flight-path across Kent and SE London?. A regular plane, heading West from here every few minutes. Perhaps it's because it's so quiet atm that I notice them-not that I'm complaining about that

A lovely day here though with a slight breeze.

I've been noticing this too, saly, although much less so this afternoon here. Generally, planes aim up for the jet stream to carry them to their destinations, as this saves on fuel; so, we're talking SW - SE, W - E, NW - NE flight paths, but never, of course, from east to weat, as the jet stream never goes that way. However, when the jet stream is absent, I would imagine that aircraft track as short a distance as possible, and, if that sohortest distance means we are underneath it, we get it overhead.

I now have a lump, one by half an inch in dimension, on my upper left arm, as a result of not noticing a large mosquito that had sunk her proboscis into me until I felt a slight sensation while sunbathing that is now a massive itch. And I don't know of any way to make it stop itching.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Hey guys, an absolute scorcher of a weekend comning up! be safew, be sensible and keep the fluids up and creamed up to and not too long out in the sun! Obvious advice I know, but the amount of people that dont adhere to these, is quite remarkable
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• amateur51

I've been noticing this too, saly, although much less so this afternoon here. Generally, planes aim up for the jet stream to carry them to their destinations, as this saves on fuel; so, we're talking SW - SE, W - E, NW - NE flight paths, but never, of course, from east to weat, as the jet stream never goes that way. However, when the jet stream is absent, I would imagine that aircraft track as short a distance as possible, and, if that sohortest distance means we are underneath it, we get it overhead.

I now have a lump, one by half an inch in dimension, on my upper left arm, as a result of not noticing a large mosquito that had sunk her proboscis into me until I felt a slight sensation while sunbathing that is now a massive itch. And I don't know of any way to make it stop itching.
                  Anti-histamine cream perhaps - otherwise frequent and regular applications of human saliva, you own if no alternative is available

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    Anti-histamine cream perhaps - otherwise frequent and regular applications of human saliva, you own if no alternative is available
                    I'll try the second, and if that doesn't work, I'll go onto the first, thanks Ams!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Glorious day here today (stuck in work though) and a lovely evening.
                      Long walk,Haitink's RVW 5 on the i pod,followed by a rest outside the pub with an ice cold lager.
                      There was also a bowl of water there for Harry.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

Lovely evening for tennis. I let Murray get on with it and had a couple of leisurely sets of my own at our local club - five minutes walk. A superb evening, hazy sun, little wind + a couple of pints in the bar afterwards.

Comment

• amateur51

Nicely cool at the moment, my hebes are covered in busy gently buzzing cloud of bees in the sunshine, pale blue sky and any cloud is very high.

Brummie Simon/S_A, please can we have this for the next three months, pretty please?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Nicely cool at the moment, my hebes are covered in busy gently buzzing cloud of bees in the sunshine, pale blue sky and any cloud is very high.
                            Same here Ams, bit misty earlier on, quite heavy dew, now 17.9° and not a cloud to be seen but masses of happy buzzy bees. I've been out, done all the weekend shopping and was back home by 9am. Bought 1lb (450g) strawberries (supposedly local), a lovely bunch of six big vine tomatoes that actually smell of tomatoes, and six flat nectarines - all for £3

Planted up two more tubs last night so that's my floral display finished now. I can relax and enjoy them. Notice neighbours' monster gas barbie has been wheeled out but I'm not keen on gas ones, there is an art to cooking on charcoal and the food tastes much better with a smokey flavour.
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-07-13, 09:43. Reason: speling

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Our temp thing in the kitchen says its 76f!! Whoa!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                                Same here Ams, bit misty earlier on, quite heavy dew, now 17.9° and not a cloud to be seen but masses of happy buzzy bees. I've been out, done all the weekend shopping and was back home by 9am. Bought 1lb (450g) strawberries (supposedly local), a lovely bunch of six big vine tomatoes that actually smell of tomatoes, and six flat nectarines - all for £3

Planted up two more tubs last night so that's my floral display finished now. I can relax and enjoy them. Notice neighbours' monster gas barbie has been wheeled out but I'm not keen on gas ones, there is an art to cooking on charcoal and the food tastes much better with a smokey flavour.
                                Lucky you Anna - tomatoes that actually smell of tomatoes - let's hope they taste as good

My local (-ish) fruit stall has been selling Spanish ''mountain' peaches (the flat ones) for a few weeks now and their pale scented flesh is delicious and full of juice. And cherries - both yellowy-red English ones and those lush dark red-purple ones from Spain, I think. Supermarkets seem to have been taken over by a mono-supply of the vile Elsanta strawberry, known in the trade as 'the strawberry that bounces', a tribute to its travelling quality

Them as know tell us that this is going to be a great year for the English apple crop - let's hope they're right

Comment

Working...
                                X