X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

If I'm the Kent side of the Thames, quite chilly here and very light rain falling.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Oh, I hope we dont get that weather sals!!

Been rather good here today, perhaps a tad close?
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

bad flooding in central Europe, the Danube, Vltava, Elbe - Salzburg, Passau, Prague - highest levels for 500 years in places

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Yes, the authorities in Prague., are thinking about releasing the water in the dams nearby?

Apart from that, all good down here!!
          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Yes, the authorities in Prague., are thinking about releasing the water in the dams nearby?

Apart from that, all good down here!!
            Yes, and from the little one is told on BBC news this could be worrying for those further downstream. I can't help wondering: isn't there some means by which the alleged excess dammed up water can be released gradually?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Yes, and from the little one is told on BBC news this could be worrying for those further downstream. I can't help wondering: isn't there some means by which the alleged excess dammed up water can be released gradually?
              I do hope so, S_A - we don't want salymap taken out by a tsunami

Later: pretty devastating stuff ...

Animals at Prague zoo are being moved to higher ground. The larger animals such as lions and tigers need to be tranquilized before they are safely evacuated.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-06-13, 13:40. Reason: film footage

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                I can't help wondering: isn't there some means by which the alleged excess dammed up water can be released gradually?
                ... hmmm, I can't help wondering if, just possibly, the professional hydrologists in Europe have ever had that thought???

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... hmmm, I can't help wondering if, just possibly, the professional hydrologists in Europe have ever had that thought???
                  As always, these days, the problem is "solved" after it has delivered its worst!

Weatherweb says the current dry spell is expected to last into next week, excepting for a few showers across Scotland and N Ireland, and thundery weather developing over France maybe skirting our south coast and the Channel Isles from Thursday to Saturday - so, BBM, you have been forewarned! After that it's predicted to warm up considerably with winds shifting around into a southerly/south-south westerly taking temperatures into the mid-20s C, before turning unsettled and cooler sometime between the 10th and the 15th.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    Indeed - two examples of huge flood plains in the Danube river system, further downstream in Croatia, which I visited in 2007 (both national parks)
                    Kopacki rit
                    Lonjsko polje

Just got to February 1876 in Alan Walker, when Liszt is caught up in the Budapest floods , which were as bad as the 1838 floods which he'd helped to raise money for. There's an awful lot downstream of the floods we're hearing about. In 1876 15,000 refugees had to abandon their homes and converge on Budapest.....

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Another lovely day downj here in mid-sussex. Cant help thinking about those poor people that are experiencing these bad floods around Eastern Europe.
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Cant believe that no-one has posted abvout the weathe or anything again!! Simnply what a stonker of a weather we are having at the momentt!!!!
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          Cant believe that no-one has posted abvout the weathe or anything again!! Simnply what a stonker of a weather we are having at the momentt!!!!
                          Make the most of today, tomorrow and Friday, BBM - it looks likely to cool off after that. Shame: I was looking forward to getting out and about on Sunday.

Marthe alert: Something weird resembling a mini-hurricane heading north up your part of the coast on Saturday!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Oh, that's typical, SA! When i am off for a while too! Drat!

Hope marthe be ok!?!?!? As you say SA !!!!
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

I've just answered a lengthy online questionnaire posted on the BBC weather website, saying in so many words I don't think that much of it, and that it was better before they made changes to the layout and presentation, and banished my nearest designated weather station to 15 miles away!

Comment

• amateur51

Just coming up to 21:15 and it's still light enough to read a magazine (ok IRR ) outside, a couple of blackbirds serenading the neighbourhood - marvellous

Comment

Working...
                                X