• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Oh, very nice - I bet you had the Duck Magret!! And possibly the foie-gras?
    A life in Chancery is all beer & skittles isn't it? One merry round of wining and dining .... squandering away the inheritences of the poor widows and orphans ....
    The set menu in fact: chilled pea soup - rabbit - cheeses

And - OT - it was warm walking back in the sunshine!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      By the way, I was in a restaurant a few days ago and the fish of the day, I was told, sounded like "suin" which the chef-proprietaire fortunately told me is Welsh for sea trout. I had it and it was delicious but I did point out that I'd not expected to hear a Frenchman in Herefordistan speaking Welsh! I thought that it was a little careless and indiscreet, anyway, since there was a part of of lawyers on the next table...
      Oh dear. Sewin is indeed sea trout from West Wales, it cannot be described as anything else because it's a sort of appellation d'origine contrôlée fish. It would be a trades description offence to sell sewin as common sea trout and vice versa, so it's not a case of foisting Welsh language onto unsuspecting Herefordistanians! Plus, of course, restaurants can charge more for such a magnificent and flavoursome fish with a Welsh pedigree.

Comment

• mangerton
        • Nov 2010

... and it is Friday after all, a time for frivolity.
        Not when you're working on Saturday, it ain't. However, I was off today instead, and it was a lovely warm sunny day here - until about 3.00, when the clouds appeared. No rain so far.

Thanks for the Welsh construe which I was about to ask for. I note ahinton's remarks about Welsh signs in Wales. I don't think these are quite as incongruous as Gaelic signs in parts of the country where it is not spoken, but which are erected as a sop to Gaelic speakers when the Mod (think Eisteddfod) is held in the area.

Edit: It's raining now. Me and my big mouth.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
          Not when you're working on Saturday, it ain't. However, I was off today instead, and it was a lovely warm sunny day here - until about 3.00, when the clouds appeared. No rain so far.
          I used to work every Saturday, which was ok in a way, but no-one else was free all day on a Wednesday!
          I note ahinton's remarks about Welsh signs in Wales. I don't think these are quite as incongruous as Gaelic signs in parts of the country where it is not spoken, but which are erected as a sop to Gaelic speakers when the Mod (think Eisteddfod) is held in the area.
          ahinton's really funny, he only ventures into Wales to go to Waitrose!! Herefordshire isn't upmarket enough for them to open a branch there.
          Edit: It's raining now. Me and my big mouth.
          Just as well you're working tomorrow then!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            I have heard that the Welsh language, though clearly not incomprehensible otherwise no Welsh would be able to speak and read it, is as difficult as it is to learn as a foreign language for the purpose of making it as discouraging as possible to any English who would try to learn it, though how true that may be I do not know.
            The test is the word "Cymru" itself: if the Saesnig is the sort who whinges that the "y" is pronounced "u" and the "u", "y", then the language isn't for him/her. If they laugh and say "You're not going to put me off like that", s/he will be welcome, dim problem.

But it's nearly three years now since I last spoke Welsh - asking for a book in a shop in Aberteifi (Y Mobinogi in the "original" 15th Century Welsh - none available, alas: had to make do with the revised William Morgan Beibl) - and I remember so little!
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• mangerton
              • Nov 2010

Just as well you're working tomorrow then!
              That's me tellt!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                But it's nearly three years now since I last spoke Welsh - asking for a book in a shop in Aberteifi (Y Mobinogi in the "original" 15th Century Welsh - none available, alas: had to make do with the revised William Morgan Beibl) - and I remember so little!
                Are you a fan of Dafydd ap Gwilym? Swansea Uni have a cracking new version (for those who don't know, he was the foremost poet of the 14th century, and personally, I think he's brilliant)
                http://www.dafyddapgwilym.net/eng/3win.htm My favourite is 137 Merched Llanbadarn, click on select poem and then choice of English translation, etc.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Are you a fan of Dafydd ap Gwilym? Swansea Uni have a cracking new version (for those who don't know, he was the foremost poet of the 14th century, and personally, I think he's brilliant)
                  http://www.dafyddapgwilym.net/eng/3win.htm My favourite is 137 Merched Llanbadarn, click on select poem and then choice of English translation, etc.
                  Wow! BIG Thanks, Anna - this has gone on my "Favourites"; what a fantastic resource!

I didn't know much of Daffyd's work beyond the prose translations in the Penguin Classics A Celtic Miscellany, so this is a real treat.

I presume you know Gwerful Mechain (1462 - 1500)? She wasn't coy, was she?! My partner gave me the anthology Welsh Women's Poetry 1460-2001 a couple of Christmases ago, and she's tons better than many a more famous (because "demure") 19th Century counterpart: I don't think frenchie would allow even the original Cymraeg, let alone English translations!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Hi folks! Rather late today! haqd one of those days!!

Just as well the weather was alright! No jumpers!!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                      Hi folks! Rather late today! haqd one of those days!!
                      Well, the good news is that the day is coming to a close; the sun is bathing the Downs, the soft air is wafting the gardens (and is that the merest hint of the sea?) and there's beer in the cupboard and brass bands in the CD collection. The weekend starts here!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Time for John ireland's A Downland Suite then!!
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Well, the good news is that the day is coming to a close; the sun is bathing the Downs, the soft air is wafting the gardens (and is that the merest hint of the sea?) and there's beer in the cupboard and brass bands in the CD collection. The weekend starts here!
                          Sounds good ferney, what you got in mind for the brass?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Oh, I leave that for the expert: the Downland Suite sounds very appropriate - I might see if I can fine Butterworth's A Dales Suite for my neck of the woods!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Well!! I copuld giveyopu a few suggestions!!

Hmm, a weekend of brass band music!?!?!?
                              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                The set menu in fact: chilled pea soup - rabbit - cheeses

And - OT - it was warm walking back in the sunshine!
                                Sounds a cracking place, Caliban Just round the corner from my last place of full-time employment - I wonder what this resto replaces

Comment

Working...
                                X