X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mangerton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Yes, a few days ago alycidon posted he was in the far North of Scotland but didn't specify where. Parts of N. Wales still cut off. (No sign of mangerton lately, hope he's not fallen in a snowdrift!) When I left home this morning it was 0.0 and all agreed the wind had got even more bitter, however it's died away completely and it's finally crept up to same temperature as you, bit brighter but infrequent shafts of sunlight. The Black Mountains were still very white this morning but locally nearly all gone on the hills. Just been distracted by two buzzards flying around quite low searching for prey, normally just see them circling high on thermals.
    I'm happy to say that I'm snowdrift free, and thank you for asking! We've had a few flurries here, but nothing to worry about. It's been a lovely sunny day, and the temp at 4.30 on my way home this evening was 5° C. alycidon I think is in Inverness(shire) and they've been quite fortunate too.

The weather in Arran and Galloway has been horrendous, and quite exceptional. I was in Galloway two weeks ago when much of Scotland was snowbound, and as I reported at the time, although it was bitterly cold, there wasn't a drop of snow. When I commented on this in the hotel, I was told, "We don't get snow here". Poor souls - those words must be haunting them now.

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

It was really exciting this morning. Looking East from my kitchen window Isaw the sun clesrly, apparently sitting on the chimney pot of a house in the road at the back. Alas, within minutes it was obscured by low cloud, but it would have made a wonderful photo if I had a camera now. Well, there's a Box Brownie lurking in one of the cupboards.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by salymap View Post
        It was really exciting this morning. Looking East from my kitchen window Isaw the sun clesrly, apparently sitting on the chimney pot of a house in the road at the back. Alas, within minutes it was obscured by low cloud, but it would have made a wonderful photo if I had a camera now. Well, there's a Box Brownie lurking in one of the cupboards.
        Don't you have a camera on your phone these days, salymap? I thought everyone did No, me neither

Definitely sunshine from the east at the moment but I don't know how long it's forecast to last, but I'm very cheered up by it

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/ma...il-forecasters

"...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Just look at this temperature chart, courtesy Simon's website, showing temperature differences between this month and March 2012!

While we are trapped under this easterlies regime, daytime temperatures should pick up just a little over the next couple of weeks, lessening the snow risk (apart from above about 300 metres), and so allowing for some growth, (8 degs C being the minimum needed for most plants suited to our climate) though the weather type won't change significantly.

They'll be warning us about drought next!
            Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 27-03-13, 16:18. Reason: Adding a zero!

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I'm getting really depressed [and rather scared] with my really sore and aching throat and funny feelingup to my ears. We don't have a GP at my surgery but I've seen nurses, been given a week's antibiotics several weeks ago and now been told it will go in time. They made me say 'R' and looked in my ears, but nothing was done. I've had it nearly five weeks now.

If just one of you told me they had similar symptoms I would feel happier. I'm beginning to think the NHS really don't bother with the older people.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

Oh Salymap....I too feel something should be done....you should at least see a GP....at least....any chance of local relatives having a go....??

most best...
                bong ching

Comment

• Anna

Saly, I echo mercia in that I'll also gladly get on the phone and kick up a fuss if you like. It cannot be possible for an area of Greater London not to have a qualified GP available or is it that they are fobbing you off with a Nurse? Our local surgery did introduce (but soon dropped) what they called a triage system where after describing symptoms they decided whether it was a simple case for a nurse or a doctor was needed to diagnose - perhaps this is the way your surgery is operating now?

Ontopic, exactly a year ago, 26/27/28th March I was in Sussex, the sky was blue, the sea was sparkling and on the 27th we were all sitting in light clothes in glorious warmth and sunshine in my cousin's garden. Oh, and we suddenly have a mini-blizzard here!!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    Saly, I echo mercia in that I'll also gladly get on the phone and kick up a fuss if you like. It cannot be possible for an area of Greater London not to have a qualified GP available or is it that they are fobbing you off with a Nurse? Our local surgery did introduce (but soon dropped) what they called a triage system where after describing symptoms they decided whether it was a simple case for a nurse or a doctor was needed to diagnose - perhaps this is the way your surgery is operating now?

Ontopic, exactly a year ago, 26/27/28th March I was in Sussex, the sky was blue, the sea was sparkling and on the 27th we were all sitting in light clothes in glorious warmth and sunshine in my cousin's garden. Oh, and we suddenly have a mini-blizzard here!!
                    My ex-next doors have just emailed me from Huddersfield, from under a metre of snow! I did warn them there was no culture in The North but snow culture!
                    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 27-03-13, 16:59.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      Can any of our more senior members recall anything like this so late in the year? My sister was born on March 23 1958 and that also was a bitterly cold, snowy day but I was only 3 at the time and can't remember much of it and certainly cannot recall anything like this at this time of year since.

Interesting coincidence here: your sister had almost a further month of it following her birth!

On a recent car trip (through snowy fields in East Anglia) I was listening via the iPod to the 5 episodes of John Gielgud's letters, read by Derek Jacobi and broadcast last week on R4extra. (Great fun to listen to, btw! )

For 12 April 1958 in London, Sir John wrote

"The winter has been going on for ever here - icy winds and dark, cold days - very depressing..."

And the next day, he said he "ached in every limb" due to the icy winds...

Plus ça change, I guess.... Has it not always been thus?

"April is the cruellest month",
                      after all...

PS:

Indeed the relevant extracts for 12 and 13 April 1958 can be read at this link - Sir John's letters are available on google books: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6...essing&f=false
                      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 27-03-13, 16:44.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

I'm getting really depressed [and rather scared] with my really sore and aching throat and funny feelingup to my ears. We don't have a GP at my surgery but I've seen nurses, been given a week's antibiotics several weeks ago and now been told it will go in time. They made me say 'R' and looked in my ears, but nothing was done. I've had it nearly five weeks now.

If just one of you told me they had similar symptoms I would feel happier. I'm beginning to think the NHS really don't bother with the older people.
                        They tend to pay attention when a fuss is made - and , at the moment, they'll be on their toes trying to avoid any suggestion that they're neglecting their older patients. You have a right to insist on seeing a GP - make a fuss and do so!
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

I had a milder version of this over a month ago that lingered around for some weeks - and last Thursday it came back. I hope this makes you happier, but I still think you should make a fuss at the surgery.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            They tend to pay attention when a fuss is made - and , at the moment, they'll be on their toes trying to avoid any suggestion that they're neglecting their older patients. You have a right to insist on seeing a GP - make a fuss and do so!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

"April is the cruellest month", after all...
                              Indeed it is Caliban It is the month I was born - Nay, inflicted upon humanity, and how cruel is that!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

Apparently, the jetstream is showing no inclination to move and we are likely to be stuck with this weather for another month.

Comment

Working...
                                X